digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Hybrid crashed with exit status 0? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/10932-hybrid-crashed-exit.html)

cdisimone 08-26-2020 05:27 PM

Hybrid crashed with exit status 0?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Trying to get started with Selur's Hybrid per recommendation from @Lordsmurf for deinterlacing HuffYUV AVIs to x264 mp4s and not getting very far.

As soon as I start the encode process, it crashes with error "crashed with exit status 0". Full debug report attached.

I went back to the basics and didn't select anything (No QTGMC, no filters, no masking, etc) and just converted the original AVI to x264/mp4 with default settings, and it still crashed.

Hopefully I am missing something obvious. Or is there something I need to install separately that isn't pre-packaged with Hybrid? From what I understand, the Hybrid installer installs everything you need within the Hybrid program files.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and the latest version of Hybrid, just installed everything yesterday on a fresh install of Windows.

While I have a little bit of personal experience with capturing/converting video, I'm just starting to learn all of this in Windows (including ATI 600 USB, HuffYUV, AviSynth, VapourSynth, QTGMC, 32-bit vs 64-bit, etc) because I was previously working with DV on a Mac in Final Cut Pro. I am not up-to-speed with Windows, so literally everything in this post is new to me. I've done a LOT of research and reading about all of this and I sort of understand the pieces, but maybe not quite understanding how the pieces go together yet and how I get from point A to point Z.

Anyway, getting Hybrid to actually "do" something would be a big help here to get me started. I have not gone down the path yet of installing AviSynth and attempting to write and run scripts outside of Hybrid, although I may want to try that next.

Thanks.

lordsmurf 08-26-2020 05:53 PM

What is the source file?

cdisimone 08-26-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 71038)
What is the source file?

It's a 90 second clip I just captured with VirtualDub/ATI USB 600.

General
Complete name : C:\Users\Public\Videos\firstcap.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 736 MiB
Duration : 1 min 27 s
Overall bit rate : 70.4 Mb/s

Video
ID : 0
Format : HuffYUV
Format version : Version 2
Codec ID : HFYU
Bit rate : 68.9 Mb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 3:2
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 6.648
Stream size : 720 MiB (98%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings : Little / Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 16.1 MiB (2%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 32 ms (0.96 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 31 ms

cdisimone 08-26-2020 09:11 PM

Correction to original post-

I didn't realize at first that QTGMC (VapourSynth) Auto is checked off by default, so I think I did have that selected in the test I ran above.

I just ran another test, turning off deinterlacing, and that encode worked. So I think it's something going wrong with QTGMC. I also tried changing support from VapourSynth to AviSynth for QTGMC and it crashed as well.

I changed QTGMC to Yadif just to see if that would give me a problem too, but it didn't. That worked. So it looks like something is wrong specifically when I am trying to use QTGMC.

cdisimone 08-27-2020 02:43 AM

As another update on this, I was able to install AviSynth+ and get it working with QTGMC outside of Hybrid. I found through that process that I was missing some necessary Visual C++ Redistributable runtime files (particularly the 2015 32 bit version it seems, as there was a specific dll that was missing in an error message along the way).

The only difference is that I was following a tutorial that converted to ProRes422 HQ so that's what I did, whereas with Hybrid I was aiming to convert to x264.

So I went back to Hybrid and I tried changing settings to do the same (convert to ProRes instead of x264) just to see if that would work, using QTGMC (VapourSynth) on default settings, and it appeared to hang midway through. I didn't get an error message, but it stopped and the next line 07_muxing got stuck waiting. Everything prior to that finished fine. CPU usage was at 1% so I am pretty sure it wasn't doing anything. Aborted the process. Also tried x264 again and crashed.

Next test: Change support for QTGMC from VapourSynth to AviSynth, with ProRes .mov/passthrough PCM output, and it worked! :)

Last test: Change back to x264/mp4 with aac audio, leaving QTGMC on AviSynth and that worked too! :D

So it seems my original issue may have been the missing dll file, although I did install a lot of other "things" in the process of getting AviSynth+ to work (all the AviSynth plugins, ffmpeg, etc. all in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions). However I don't think Hybrid looks outside its own program files for those things...does it?

My issue now seems to have something to do with VapourSynth as it relates to QTGMC. I have absolutely no idea what the differences are between using QTGMC via AviSynth vs. VapourSynth and if I should care about this, but it does default to VapourSynth, so I assume there is a reason for that.

lordsmurf 08-27-2020 08:42 PM

Report it to selur: https://forum.selur.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3

And on his homepage, he has a donate link: http://www.selur.de/
Send a few Euros his way.

He deals with (1) actual Hybrid errors, (2) user error, not Hybrid errors. I think the latter sometimes irritates him, and understand that. So just try to doublecheck your errors, research it, verify it's a Hybrid issues, before submitting the error. I know for a fact that have been some weird errors in recent times, and he does want to find and fix those. I need to touch base with him again soon, I just disappeared on him a month ago.

The main issues with Avisynth (x86) vs. Vapoursynth is speed. Avisynth (x64) is equally fast, but has screwy install issues to contend with. My July interactions with selur was to integrate the x64. He'd actually already started that development, and it was hidden. There were bugs, and I was trying to help him locate those when I was pulled away.

BTW, don't try Avisynth MT x86, all it does is add glitch frames to the QTGMC, the speed boost is not stable.

So is it my understanding that you needed a prerequisite program to not get Hybrid errors? That may be important for the Hybrid install process.

I'm not exactly clear on what is (still) not working, what is (now) working correctly. Maybe I'm just too tired to be reading right now?

Never let Hybrid "auto" anything. Force, enable, disable. Human smart, computer dumb.

cdisimone 08-27-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 71049)
So is it my understanding that you needed a prerequisite program to not get Hybrid errors? That may be important for the Hybrid install process.

Hybrid conversation aside for a second - Let's talk about installing AviSynth (I went with AviSynth+). It appears from my experience that AviSynth needs certain Visual C++ Redistributables installed in order to work. In my case, I ran a program called AVSInfoTool that checks your installation of AviSynth in both 32bit and 64bit versions. When I ran that, it alerted me that my system was missing msvcp140.dll. When I googled that, it came up that it was part of the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=48145 It turns out I actually needed the 32bit version of this even though I'm running 64 bit Windows 7, which took me a little bit to figure out. I also installed the 2017 C++ files and 2019. (I think AviSynth also requires a certain version of Microsoft .Net framework, but I already had that up to date.) There is an all in one download that includes 2015, 2017, 2019 c++ redistributables together, but it didn't work for me when I tried that first - however, it was late, and I tried a bunch of things, and I can't remember if I had tried the 32 bit version of the combined 2015-2017-2019 download or not, so it might actually work if you grab the 32 bit version of that. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...al-c-downloads

It is my educated guess that this missing DLL may have been what was causing Hybrid to crash, but I really don't know for sure. Other than installing those C++ files, I didn't do anything else that would have fixed the crash (to my knowledge). I did install AviSynth, a bunch of plugins, ffmpeg, and so on, but I think Hybrid comes packaged with all of that and doesn't look outside of Hybrid for them, so it's unlikely any of those things are what made QTGMC finally work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 71049)
I'm not exactly clear on what is (still) not working, what is (now) working correctly. Maybe I'm just too tired to be reading right now?

QTGMC in Hybrid is now working as long as I change VapourSynth to AviSynth. I don't know which version of AviSynth Hybrid is using for QTGMC to know if there would be a speed advantage to getting VapourSynth to work, but I don't know where to begin with getting that working (don't know if it's me or Hybrid).

Side note: I've spent a few hours today learning and playing around with AviSynth scripts now that I've actually got everything working outside of Hybrid, and I'm having fun with it. I've also been mentally going through my planned workflow for the analog conversion process, and I can probably even get away with not using Hybrid at all, provided I create a reusable script that does what I want it to do (I'm almost there), without getting into any major restoration techniques. But, I likely will play around with both methods, and actually now that I have a little better understanding of AviSynth scripts, I am sure that Hybrid will make a lot more sense as I navigate around.

-Christina