04-09-2022, 09:09 AM
Free Member

I have a number of Chromium tapes that have audio only recorded onto them using a Panasonic NV-HD675B using the RCA inputs on the machine (in SP mode) recorded in 1999. (The audio is from a radio station after limiter/compression but before transmission, so is fairly loud) I want to extract the audio now from the tapes, but have been advised that I should get a machine that produces a cleaner outgoing audio signal, than simply getting another NV-HD675B machine?? Can anyone let me know if that is true? and which machine/s would best lend themselves to extraction of the audio only.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-09-2022, 01:04 PM
Free Member

Hi, is there a problem with the audio that you would need another player? Could you upload a sample of the audio you are capturing now with the current machine?
04-09-2022, 01:14 PM
Free Member

Currently I don't own a VCR, hence should I aim to purchase an identical machine to that used to record originally.... Or, purchase something that would give a better audio out signal..?
04-09-2022, 03:17 PM
Free Member

There isn't anything out of the ordinary with that model so you don't need the exact one. Just make sure you get a deck with hi-fi audio.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
04-10-2022, 07:45 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

As said (and we've tested this extensively) the deck doesn't have a great bearing on things.

The professional models (like the AG 7xxx series) do sound a tad better but they used balanced outputs and also the amplifier stages on them are more akin to HiFi reproduction than an afterthought.

But, we've had great success with even very modest machines, the late Awia machines as one example we found have great audio playback quality from HiFi tapes, similarly Samsung and Thomson machines we have found impressive.

There's very little actual variance, so I would buy on condition and price rather than go out looking for a certain model for just audio reproduction; obviously, it'll need to be a HiFi capable machine.

Something with a remote might be a touch more useful as you may need to knock the tracking around to try and get the best HiFi reproduction, the machines tend to go for the image first so something with clear manual tracking controls might be useful. That in mind, usually the Channel Up/Down keys are almost universal to override the tracking.

Good clean low mileage heads are more important here than the model.
04-10-2022, 08:13 AM
Free Member

It depends if the audio recorded in HiFi or linear, If linear it is better to know the model that recorded it has Dolby NR or not, if so then you would need a VCR with Dolby NR playback, If HiFi then you would need a HiFi capable VCR.

If the recording is too loud you may benefit from a Pro machine with XLR outputs, Just connect the cold and ground together and you will get about 10dB lower in audio gain, But if the recording VCR has auto gain control the audio level should have been adjusted on the fly already.

With that said you just need an audio capture card and a free software such as Audacity.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos