digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Unknown black bar artifact? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/13482-unknown-black-bar.html)

ASakhTsuris 05-04-2023 02:13 AM

Unknown black bar artifact?

1 Attachment(s)
Could someone tell me why there seems to be a completely stationary semi-transparent black bar in this capture? Is it a copy-protection artifact or a problem with capture?

FYI I used a Victor HR-V500 -> CYP CCR-7 -> AIW 9200

lordsmurf 05-04-2023 02:27 AM

Did you try yet without the CYP CCR-7 in workflow?

Lack of proper TBC is likely.

Deck may be at fault. Did you try another?

dpalomaki 05-05-2023 07:29 AM

Not sure what it means in this case but the MediaInfo reports the AVI sample as 720x480 NTSC, and the aspect ration as 3:2 (not the expected 4:3 for typical SD NTSC)

The overall image aspect is about 3:2 as Media Info reports, but excluding the "bar" is is more like 4:3.

What is the source?

Hushpower 05-05-2023 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dpalomaki
Not sure what it means in this case but the MediaInfo reports the AVI sample as 720x480 NTSC, and the aspect ration as 3:2 (not the expected 4:3 for typical SD NTSC)

In my experience, for these captured-type AVIs, Mediainfo simply divides the width by the height and presents that as the DAR, which is obviously not correct. It does the same for PAL captures: it reports 720x576 as 5:4, when it isn't, it's 4:3 as well.

Without the bar, the image is still 1.39:1.

latreche34 05-05-2023 10:49 AM

It does look like the CYP CCR-7 fault but I don't get why people don't use the process of elimination first before even posting here, It's common sense really, check components one by one and when finding the one that causes the problem then you can ask questions here.

lordsmurf 05-05-2023 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 90587)
It does look like the CYP CCR-7 fault but I don't get why people don't use the process of elimination first before even posting here, It's common sense really, check components one by one and when finding the one that causes the problem then you can ask questions here.

The reason is simple.

We, as a society, don't spend enough time in schools teaching science, especially the scientific method (aka "the process of elimination", which would be useful here -- or "hypothesis vs. theory", which gets irritating in other conversations with dullards).
Or useful math (think finance, not letters and graphs).
Or just life skills in general.
No, instead we focus on BS, like football, and arguing over fiction books in the library.

ASakhTsuris 05-06-2023 12:37 AM

Thanks for the responses. I would have tried taking the ccr-7 and out of the equation but there's about a 12-hour time-zone difference between me and all of the capture equipment. I'm no expert in archiving video, but I figured it's worth a shot to ask what kind of error this is.

lordsmurf 05-06-2023 03:30 AM

Yep, step 1 is process of elimination. See what gear is balking.

dpalomaki 05-06-2023 08:57 AM

Quote:

We, as a society, don't spend enough time in schools teaching science, especially the scientific method (aka "the process of elimination", which would be useful here -- or "hypothesis vs. theory", which gets irritating in other conversations with dullards).
Amen! :salute: Related to this is the use of computer simulations for labs. The only hands-on students get is a keyboard. No experience with real world physical components and their quirks, limitations, and variability. And the sometimes dramatic results when the student makes a mistake, such as dumping 125 volts into a 10 volt capacitor.

It is akin to believing all VCRs are the same because their specs read the same.