digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Help cleaning up vhs. (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1359-cleaning-vhs.html)

Konfusion 02-05-2009 05:11 PM

Help cleaning up vhs.

i just put a few vhs tapes onto dvd and transfered them onto the computer but they seem to me like they need to be cleaned up. I was thinking maybe something in virtual dub or i dunno. But i dont know what to do with them. if anyone has any ideas here is a 25 second sample. maybe someone can give me some ideas.

thanks

wayshway 02-05-2009 08:02 PM

Use Sony Vegas Pro . It has some great features and really easy to use.

lordsmurf 02-06-2009 08:40 AM

What VCR and capture card (or DVD recorder) was used to get this?

VirtualDub could do some cleaning, and then frameserve it to MainConcept 1.5 for a new encode. The noise is very mild, my television would actually filter out what little noise is shown.

Konfusion 02-06-2009 09:12 AM

just a regular vcr Mitsubishi HS-U448 and dvd recorder is JVC DR M-10.

lordsmurf 02-06-2009 03:28 PM

I could see chroma removal, and that's thanks to the JVC recorder. I downloaded your file, and did a test. I've uploaded a 50MB file to the server, and I'll write back over the weekend.

Konfusion 02-06-2009 03:36 PM

i really need to stop messing around and get one of those jvc vcrs

Konfusion 02-06-2009 03:54 PM

looks great. so u prefer this mainconcept over procoder now?

lordsmurf 02-08-2009 11:56 AM

Quality is in this order (best at top), from my experience and usage:
- MainConcept 1.5 / Reference
- Procoder 1.5
- HCEnc free encoder API (used in software like DVD Rebuilder)
- Procoder 2.0 (tied with MC1.4)
- MainConcept 1.4 (tied with PC2)
- MainConcept 1.3
- TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 (more bitrate for good image)
- CinemaCraft (always adds grainy noise)
- TMPGEnc's other versions (not very good)

Good JVC or even some good Panasonic VCRs. The Panasonic works better on old SLP mode tapes, but image clarity and TBC performance different from JVC, not always as helpful as JVC. I have both.

I did some filtering for you in VirtualDub, uploaded to the location in PM. Inside the RAR file are the VCF filter settings, the before and after shots. I think what is inside the RAR is self-explanatory. Looking at the VCF filters inside VirtualDub should also be self-explanatory. I mostly did some in-frame NR, maybe some mild between-frame temporaral NR (but not much).

You either did audio work already, or it's amazingly clean coming off VHS, or just hidden noise due to other audio in the sample clip hiding it for that clip's duration.

I'm really busy these days, but I'll help as I can, at a somewhat slow pace. Patience needed.