digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Horizontal lines and blurriness in VHS capture? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/14035-horizontal-lines-blurriness.html)

svrle 01-24-2024 08:53 AM

Horizontal lines and blurriness in VHS capture?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi! First post written here but many read, up till now :wink2:
I used to work with FCP 10 years ago on Mac and now I am trying to understand Avisynth+ and Premiere pro on Win10 for a project of restoring, editing (noise, color, few titles, audio editing) and archiving old VHS theater shows. This short example was captured from JVC HR-S9850 via IOdata gvUSB2, Amarectv-UTvideo ULY2 loosless. Final file will be MP4 and probably copy of it in ULY2 for a possible future needs.

Most of VHSs are in better quality then this one but I have to do my best on it and I am stuck. :hmm:
Those horizontal lines and blurry faces are ugly but I don't know how to address them if possible. It seems to me like an copy of copy artifacts but maybe I am wrong, my knowledge of Avisynth+ and filters is very limited (music is my field).. Can someone with better experience give some advice on it?

Working on PAL, 720x576

I tried to do something with this script :
SetFilterMTMode ("QTGMC", 2)
FFmpegSource2("GRode.avi", atrack=1)
AssumeTFF()
QTGMC(Preset="Super Fast", Sharpness=1.0, EdiThreads=2)
Lanczos4Resize(720,576)
Crop(0,2, 0, -12)
AddBorders(0,2, 0,12)
Prefetch(4)

Thank you all!
Svrle

themaster1 01-24-2024 02:20 PM

It's more about the noise if you ask me, that's a task NeatVideo V5 will like

svrle 01-24-2024 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you themaster1! I downloaded the Neatvideo demo few days ago and I am trying my best but it is hard to take "the noise" and leave the faces recognizable in this thick capture case. No much detail- free space to set the profile correctly. Pls check the attached video example with this script and neatvideo.

Code:

FFmpegSource2("GRode.avi")
AssumeTFF()
#ChromaShiftSP(X=-2, Y=-2)
QTGMC(Preset="Draft", Sharpness=1.0, EdiThreads=2)
Lanczos4Resize(720,576)
Crop(14,14, -14, -14)
AddBorders(14,14,14,14)
Prefetch(4)

Color advice? Sharpening maybe?.. Thanks

themaster1 01-24-2024 06:48 PM

There is an easy trick to get the most out neat. Upsizing x2 before messing with it.
Deinterlace (lossless mode)+ upsize ×2+neatv5+ sharpening
That should be a good formula imo

traal 01-24-2024 08:58 PM

The first thing I can see is that your VCR doesn't have a built-in TBC.

timtape 01-25-2024 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traal (Post 94319)

OK but will a built in TBC deal with this particular horizontal lines issue?

svrle 01-25-2024 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"There is an easy trick to get the most out neat. Upsizing x2 before messing with it.
Deinterlace (lossless mode)+ upsize ×2+neatv5+ sharpening"

Thanks themaster1, Have to try that one, any particular filters, Avisynth scrypt maybe? For the neat video I go to premiere pro where my demo is.. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by traal (Post 94319)

Hi traal. As I mentioned before my VCR is JVC HR-S9850 with a built in TBC and my examples above were captured with it.. I tried many different options (with and without), this one that I post now is WITHOUT TBC but with Stabilizer instead. No processing were made on it, bottom overscan looks better IMO.. Looking for your opinion, thanks

svrle 02-03-2024 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one is same like above (no TBC, Stabilizator instead + script+ neat video). Lines are now better but faces are blurry..

Code:

FFmpegSource2("GrodeSTABshort.avi")
AssumeTFF()
#vsCnr2_vsCnr2(mode="oxx", scdthr=10.0, ln=35, lm=192, un=47, um=255, vn=47, vm=255, sceneChroma=false)
#ChromaShiftSP(X=-2, Y=-2)
QTGMC(Preset="Super Fast", Sharpness=1.0, EdiThreads=2)
Lanczos4Resize(720,576)
Crop(14,14, -14, -14)
AddBorders(14,14,14,14)
Prefetch(4)

Thanks

-- merged --

Any idea what I can do about the clearness of the faces in this kind of video (and I have to deal with many theater shows like this with old fashion cameras far away). Is it possible to improve it?

Maybe some small avisynth script ?

Thank you very much