Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 13,363
Thanked 2,434 Times in 2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher
I figured I would ask you directly rather than post it. In the article, Video Guides-Basic playback hardware, the author mentions he likes the JVC HR-S9800u. Now the S9500u model has TBC built-in with limited filters. He continues to list various JVC HR models in this article. However the three models he likes are S9800u, S9500u and S9911u. So, what are the big differences between these three models? If the S9500u has a built-in TBC then do I need to buy an external TBC or is the built-in TBC will do? I have to think about the cost factor too. Is it better to buy a VCR with a built-in TBC or better to buy a VCR WITHOUT TBC only to add an external TBC to it? The JVC HR S9500u is hard to find. Actually these three models are hard to find.
Bottomline, if I can do this, I would much rather buy a JVC model with a built in TBC than buy a VCR without it only to spend the extra cash to buy the VCR then buy the TBC.
Thanks,
Phil
I'll pick this apart, quote it, and reply to it as I read it...

Quote:
I figured I would ask you directly rather than post it.
Nah, go ahead and post it. It may help others with the same question.

Quote:
In the article, Video Guides-Basic playback hardware, the author mentions he likes the JVC HR-S9800u.
I wrote the original article at the now-gone lordsmurf.com, but it's been update several times since it was incorporated into the digitalFAQ.com site where all of my guides and articles were moved.

The 9600 and 9800 were probably the two best JVC S-VHS machines ever made, due to build quality and features. The 9500, as far as I know, lacks some of the filters found in the 9600+ models. This would included picture modes, for example.

Quote:
Now the S9500u model has TBC built-in with limited filters. He continues to list various JVC HR models in this article. However the three models he likes are S9800u, S9500u and S9911u. So, what are the big differences between these three models?
I think you mean 9600, 9800 and 9900/9911. The 9600 and 9800 were basically the same unit. Some slight differences, such as the jog shuttle, were there but mostly cosmetic. The 9900 had a lower graded transport, and the 9911 was a different outer plastic molded body.

Quote:
If the S9500u has a built-in TBC then do I need to buy an external TBC or is the built-in TBC will do?
This is best answered by reading this: What is a TBC? Time Base Correction for Videotapes

Quote:
I have to think about the cost factor too. Is it better to buy a VCR with a built-in TBC or better to buy a VCR WITHOUT TBC only to add an external TBC to it?
This is also best answered by reading this: What is a TBC? Time Base Correction for Videotapes

Quote:
The JVC HR S9500u is hard to find. Actually these three models are hard to find.
Honestly, any of the S-VHS line in the 7600+, 9600+, SRV10/V101 range works. That would even include some Professional Series combo decks that had SVHS VCR + DVD / DV / HDD (some mix thereof, maybe all together).

Quote:
Bottomline, if I can do this, I would much rather buy a JVC model with a built in TBC than buy a VCR without it only to spend the extra cash to buy the VCR then buy the TBC.
The good JVC VCR is the most important piece to own.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

If you have more questions, post replies here, and I'll get to them. Thanks!


This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.


- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JVC HR-S9800U for PAL system? Any converter from NTSC to PAL? lordsmurf Capture, Record, Transfer 0 08-31-2010 06:15 PM
JVC HR-S9800U S-VHS VCR, brand new condition, for sale [SOLD] jrnyhead Marketplace 3 12-01-2009 09:05 AM
JVC 9900 odd artifacts on motion scenes ? zaq.hack Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 7 10-22-2009 12:51 PM
External firewire HDD wigam Computers 9 08-28-2005 04:49 PM
AIW or external converter? jrnyhead Capture, Record, Transfer 3 04-15-2004 06:00 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM