digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Video Tech VCC 3010 Procamp: is it any good? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/4715-video-tech-vcc.html)

meson1 11-06-2012 04:01 AM

Video Tech VCC 3010 Procamp: is it any good?

Greetings.

I have been looking for a decent proc amp for use in the UK (PAL, of course). I have been exploring various avenues including ex-broadcast equipment such as the Leitch Harris DSP-575. The Signvideo PA-100 and Elite Video BVP4+ would be ideal, but PAL versions are as rare as hens teeth.

But I have found one item for sale that has come to my attention in recent days. Before I make a move for it, I need to find out more about it. It's a nearly mint proc amp called the VCC-3010 by British company, Video Tech. Because the seller is in the UK, it avoids all that nasty business with import duty and such. But before I shell out my hard earned, I could do to find out more about it.

The simple question I need answering is: is it any good? Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

Thank you in advance.

lordsmurf 11-06-2012 04:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have any experience with this unit, but I will say this...

This is a unit I've never heard of, but I would buy it for the right price. :old:

It's old -- from the Vidicraft ~ Studio 1 generation (early/mid 1990s) -- but I don't think I'd hold that against it, since it has s-video connections. It also has some fairly extended color tweaks, comparable to the Elite BVP-4 Plus, but different (RGB!).

Via Google, I found the text from an old magazine article from 1993:
Quote:

AUTUMN LAUNCH FOR VIDEO TECH PROCESSORS

Video Tech Designs, based in Maidstone Kent have developed two new post-production units which are due to go on sale this October. The VEC-1030 is ideally suited to home video movie-makers; it's a combined video processor and 3-channel audio mixer that will sell for £110. Facilities include brightness, saturation and sharpness controls, split/wipe to a variable shade background (black to white), bypass and fader.

The VCC-3010 is a high-resolution video colour-corrector and AV switcher and is aimed at the semi-pro or serious users, though the price, at just under £300 isn't beyond the reach of enthusiasts. Picture processing facilities include:

* variable brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpness
* red, green and blue colour correction
* negative/positive switching
* picture fader
* split-screen preview

The 3010 has both composite and S-Video inputs and outputs, (500-line resolution) and is capable of converting S-Video to composite, and vice versa. The 3010, like the 1030 is designed and built in the UK.

R.Maybury 1993
Attachment 3061

The eBay auction where I took the above picture ended on Sept. 9, 2012 (about 2 months ago), with a winning bid of GBP 32.77 (approx. US $52.35) with only 4 bids. To me, that's a good gamble. I've often spent up to $75 to try something new, hardware-wise. Over the long term, I'm up on the ratio of good experiences vs lemons.

I would be hesitant to spend more than $75. :2cents:

meson1 11-06-2012 05:21 AM

The one that is available is around 65 to 70 GBP. At the price I was thinking of taking a punt on it. But I wanted to get an insight on it first and make sure it wasn't notoriously bad or something.

Put it this way, I am the not-so-proud owner of one of those infamous ACE enhancer things :eek: which I bought around seven or eight years ago before I knew better. So I don't want to get burned again. :D

lordsmurf 11-06-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meson1 (Post 23738)
one of those infamous ACE enhancer things :eek:
I don't want to get burned again. :D

Nah, this looks to be much better hardware. :congrats:

You won't make an ACE of yourself. :P

If it does turn out to be a lemon, don't blame it on me... But if it turns out to be awesome, I take full credit. :tiphat:

meson1 11-06-2012 05:40 AM

The ACE has it's uses. But those mainly fall in the holding-doors-open arena.

Cyclone82 12-06-2012 08:34 PM

I have got 2 VCC3010's Have not tried them yet. Aim to hook one up on the weekend. I also got a ACT (not Ace) processor too for PAL. I will have to look it up again but there is a link between the ACE and ACT. cant remember what it was. One of the guys started on his own or something???

I have the manual for the VCC3010 too and sales type brochure. It was the top processor in UK in 1994 as rated by ‘camcorder magazine’ or something like that. If it did not have s-video i would not have bough them though.

I know the ACE is critisized here but I decided to still get the ACT processor from the same seller as the VCC3010 as it is a no frills processor unlike the the ACE which tries to do TBC and NTSC/PAL conversions all in one and I know they were crititized points with the ACE. I contacted the guy who used to make the ACE and he told me about the ACT. From memory he did not design it it. I will have to look up the past emails. I just wanted some processors for PAL that were a bit of a step up from the Simas I have.

OK i found the old emails when i contacted the ACE guy and asked if he knew about the ACT processor i got

Quote:

What a blast from the past! Yes, I did design the basic electronic PCB for this item but did not do the overall packaging or power supply etc or manufacture it. It was manufactured by ACT Electronics in Cornwall. In some ways it was the forerunner for my own products the ACE Processors - I went my own way because I wanted to offer extra facilities that they didn't think were wanted. It was good I did that because not long after they closed down.

So, in short it is not an ACE processor but is a useful tool if it does what you need and video quality will be good. However there is no cover as far as repairs as even I have now retired from the business.

This is an older ACT unit. It used mostly discrete circuitry, that is not ICs but I believe it did a good job if you find the features useful. I don't have any more details though. Overall video quality unknown but probably OK as he did do some good designs.
EDIT: i am not 100% sure if the second email above refererd to the ACT i got. It may have been another that i asked him about on ebay, i am fairly sure of that now.

lordsmurf 01-31-2013 01:19 AM

So how'd your test go? :)