digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Panasonic NVSV121EBS any good? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/498-panasonic-nvsv121ebs-good.html)

manthing 07-07-2005 05:48 PM

Panasonic NVSV121EBS any good?

LS, sorry to trouble you yet again, but since i'm finding it impossible to source the JVC HRS7965EK (or similar), i was wondering whether the Panasonic NVSV121EBS is any good?

if i cannot source a JVC model with full frame TBC, DNR etc, what other make/model should i go for next?

ta for your help.

lordsmurf 07-07-2005 11:34 PM

I've heard it was good, but I have no experience on them.
UK only, similar models do not exist stateside.

manthing 07-07-2005 11:44 PM

ta LS ... think i have to bite the bullet and go for it ... ching ching ... hundred and sixty nicker down the pan ... gulp ... will let you know what i think of it once i get my hands on it.

again, cheers for all your help. is there a LS beer fund? no? damn, lets start one!

lordsmurf 07-07-2005 11:57 PM

There is an LS tech support beer fund, yes. :)

Cash, check, money order, Paypal, gift certificates to the pub...

manthing 07-11-2005 01:22 AM

aaarrggghhh ... response from panny customer service :

"... the TBC (Time Base Corrector) of the NVSV121 is a LINE TBC,
not a full frame TBC. We do not manufacture any other video recorders
currently that feature a TBC, only the NVSV121"

so the search is still on LS ...

lordsmurf 07-11-2005 02:34 AM

The LINE TBC is what you want. The S-VHS VCR is intended to clean up an image, they only come with LINE TBCs. The JVC one also has integrated DNR functions, and some more video/audio filters, which is why I suggest the JVC. And the Panasonic tends to be a bit too expensive, for no added features.

Full frame TBCs are not usually part of a VCR. Have to buy those separately.

manthing 07-12-2005 03:39 AM

eh? am now totally confused LS.

look at this:
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1334509

quote your own words:
- Line? Full frame? Do not confuse a "line" TBC (mostly worthless) with a "full frame" TBC.

can we start again? i need to stabilize my vhs material before capturing via my AIW. if the vcr player has extra stuff to improve the image, then fine. but primarily i need to stabilize.

so, will a LTB like the panasonic NVSV121EBS (or similar model) do? or will i need a full fram TBC?

lordsmurf 07-12-2005 04:12 AM

also from that link:
- JVC TBC? The JVC series S-VHS VCRs have DigiPure DNR (digital noise reduction) circuits integrated into the TBC. It is a special kind of TBC, and is why this one can "clean the picture quality". It is NOT only a TBC at work here.

The Panasonic seems to be very similar in this regard. Supposedly. You won't find a VCR with a full-frame, it's overkill for the purpose of the VCR, would make it too expensive and not sell well. If you need a full-frame, have to add is separately in the chain. There *ARE* some high end JVC machines that were pro and ran about $2000, and had a full-frame TBC, but alas, no DNR elements, so they can be outperformed by a mere 9000 series unit for a quarter of the price.

What do you want to "stabilize"? That's a big word, and can mean many things. If you are ONLY wanting to make the ATI card not choke on false anti-copy, and maybe prevent dropped frames, forget the VCR, buy a full-frame TBC only.

The S-VHS VCR is for improving the image quality.

manthing 07-12-2005 06:07 PM

okay i think you're narrowed it down technically. something along the lines of "make the ATI card not choke on false anti-copy" is probably the closest we'll come to describing what i'd like to achieve.

so a standalone full frame TBC is the way to go.

again ta for your help. may the techno gods be with you.