Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

I have a little sony handycam that records in MP4, but the motion is blurred due to interlacing. One of my coworkers uses apple and has a program that will deinterlace and clean up the video so you don't see all the little lines. I would like to know if there is a free program for windows that will do this. I also have CS6 Master collection, but I don't know enough about the media encoder on there to know if it will do what I need.

I hope what I'm posting makes sense.

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Yes, there's several ways to do in it Windows -- and all are better than what the Mac do, too!

(Macs make for terrible video computers for quite a few workflows. Projects requiring deinterlacing is one of the many workflow scenarios. A Mac is good for "filmmaking" only -- basically editing video shot with a camera. No analog capturing, no restoring, not even simple deinterlacing if you want the best quality. It's very limited.)

Do you want a quality deinterlace?
Or just a quick-and-dirty decent but imperfect deinterlace?

There's no really a big difference in time required (assuming modern dual/quad core desktops), and there's only one extra step required for the quality deinterlace.

Either way, the video is re-encoded. So if there's other filtering/restoring that's needed, now the time.

It's the difference between VirtualDub and VirtualDub + Avisynth. You can use the x264vfw plugin for VirtualDub to re-encode to MP4. You can tweak the settings, or use one of the dummy-friendly templates.

And it's all free.

(And again, better than anything the Mac can do. When it comes to video, it's just the wrong tool, period.)

So which one do you want?

EDIT: I just noticed something -- I think you were the first person to register for the forum way, way back.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

I'm need to meet the following requirements:
It must be easy enough that students can pick it up and run with it quickly.
It must be able to process several files at once (it's not uncommon for me to have 100 different video files that have to be deinterlaced at one time).

The end product will be edited in Premiere if it matters.
02-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Given how lots of people butcher videos with VirtualDub by going overboard with filters, I'd suggest that using it is sometimes too easy. Students just need to read the guides, and follow instructions. If you tell me exactly what you want, I'll write a guide here that any goober can easily follow. If deinterlacing with batch porcessing is all you need, I'll write the guide tonight. You can just send your students to that page of the site.

VirtualDub can batch, yes. It's not an obvious feature, so it often is not used. (I never use it myself, because I don't like to batch video work, aside from MPEG or H.264 encoding in VirtualDub.

Importing into Premiere does matter, yes. So readying it for that NLE can be included in the guide as well.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs