Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Free Member

Newbie trying to filter out video noise from a clip that I need to add to a DVD. I have experimented with a few filter chains on virtualdub, but haven't found the combination yet. Any advice would be much appreciated.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/8ze6m...DEO_SAMPLE.mpg
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It's a little late to be denoising VHS after it'd been re-encoded to a lossy format. Some of the noise and line twitter comes from not processing and encoding telecined video properly. The sample has out-of-spec video levels (crushed darks, blown-out highlights). Also, I believe that what you might think of as "grain" in some areas looks more like dot crawl and oversharpening artifacts. The first couple of shots in particular look almost damaged and could use serious work. Repairing and denoising defects like these should be worked out before re-encoding in the video's initial colorspace and format.

Your sample isn't a cut of the original video. It's re-encoded without smart rendering. Is the original source a DVD, or is it a VHS capture? If the original is a VHS capture, what is the format that it was captured to?

The link to dbvilla_sample_01.mpg (https://www.mediafire.com/?8x0oui7y06gbcz3, 28MB, secure download) is a quick trial effort in Avisynth. Would have to go to RGB to clean up levels and chroma a little better. The previous encodes and bad levels seriously limit the possible results. Can't really advise in detail about Avsiynth or Virtuadub without a genuine, unprocessed cut from the original. If you need to know how to make such a sample, ask here.
02-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
For Site Staff to download samples, you'll need to either
- use Dropbox
- attach a sample to the forum
- or (if a Premium Member) use the FTP

We've had issues with MediaFire having malware in the past, so it's now forbidden.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-09-2015, 06:20 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
I understand the problem with mediafire, myself, when I download stuff posted by others. To prevent any messages or ads, the owner needs a paid "Pro" account. When a file is uploaded in MediaFire's upload window, the direct no-ad link can be copied to the clipboard. But once you exit the upload dialog and return to normal "My files" view, the only link you can copy is an indirect link that shows extra stuff. There's a way to reformat the longer "http" link to a shorter and different-looking "https", but it only works for paid-pro accounts. If you see the word "watch" in a MediaFire link, that's a clue to one of their non-secure formats.

Personally I'd choose to avoid forum uploads anyway unless needed. But now that the revamp is complete I'm hoping I'll be able to post more directly without getting "security certificate" errors on tiny .txt files.
02-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
But now that the revamp is complete I'm hoping I'll be able to post more directly without getting "security certificate" errors on tiny .txt files.
Yeah, I plan to re-upload some things with the larger limts. Fewer part1, part2, etc files.

I've never heard if security certificate issues. That's odd. Next time you get one, report it. Just attach the txt in a zip or rar instead, and let us look at it.

The reason we want files attached is because this site is long-term, whereas external links often disappear, and destroy the entire conversation for others later in that are trying to learn from it. We don't want that.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs