digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Hauppauge 610 USB reviews? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/6181-hauppauge-610-usb.html)

jriker1 10-22-2014 04:57 PM

Hauppauge 610 USB reviews?

For converting VHS tapes into digital, has anyone tried out the Hauppauge 610 USB device yet for the computer input part of the equation?

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc..._usblive2.html

Any thoughts? Was going to try and get a used ATI HD 600 USB and then saw this current device.

JR

sanlyn 10-23-2014 07:14 AM

Inferior stuff. Captures only to MPEG. Can't be used for lossless capture. You could do better with a budget DVD recorder. Stick with the ATI HD 600 USB.

jriker1 10-23-2014 09:16 AM

Wow, that's pretty definitive sanlyn. :)

I've put in an offer for a ATI HD 600 USB so will see how that goes. Also saw the Diamond VC500 device which unlike most others I do not hear bad comments about here. The Elgato Video Capture Device seems positive also but converts to MP4 format on the fly so no uncompressed options.

JR

sanlyn 10-23-2014 02:21 PM

VC500: no lossless capture. Have seen a great many captures made with this product. Mosquito noise, odd interlace problems, relatively insipid color, oversharpening artifacts with DV-AVI (which many users think looks really cool and is beloved by writers on CNET). Captures MPEG, DV-AVI, WMV. You'll need Avisynth to clean it up. OK if you're working with digital 8.

msgohan 10-26-2014 09:17 PM

VC500 can do lossless. I do it all the time. Color resolution is better than my ATI 600. But TBC is really required to use it with VHS (I use the DMR-ES15 with it).

I think the Elgato can also do lossless; the key is to determine whether a device uses software compression or a hardware chip.

sanlyn 10-27-2014 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 34898)
VC500 can do lossless. I do it all the time.

That's the first I've heard about it. I thought its "AVI" capture was to DV, which isn't losssless. What software and compression codec are you using to get lossless capture with that device?

msgohan 10-27-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanlyn (Post 34908)
That's the first I've heard about it. I thought its "AVI" capture was to DV, which isn't losssless. What software and compression codec are you using to get lossless capture with that device?

The "AVI" setting in its included software is actually uncompressed.

Not to be a jerk, but you've participated in threads involving VC500 lossless capture before. I typically use VirtualDub with Ut Video Codec, but Huffyuv, Lagarith, and the rest that support UYVY all work.

sanlyn 10-27-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 34914)
The "AVI" setting in its included software is actually uncompressed.

Not to be a jerk, but you've participated in threads involving VC500 lossless capture before. I typically use VirtualDub with Ut Video Codec, but Huffyuv, Lagarith, and the rest that support UYVY all work.

I don't think you're being a jerk, but I didn't know Lagarith and huffyuv could work with UYVY. My understanding is that YUY2, YV12, and RGB were their limits. Yes, I know UYVY is "similar" to YUY2 with the byte order reversed.

Indeed, I have seen that capture device in action and used it myself with another setup some time ago. As a result, I no longer use it. But sometimes it's the only choice available for what the O.P. wants. Probably beats many lesser models. I found caps made with that device (by myself and others) to be more difficult to clean up, for some reason. Your mileage might differ.

msgohan 10-27-2014 11:05 PM

They accept UYVY and then change the byte order to match YUY2. (Archived mirror of now-dead Huffyuv homepage.)

For what it's worth, there are actually two hardware revisions of the VC500 that use completely different chipsets. The newest says "VC500CXT" on the back of the device and uses a Conexant chip. If the one you used was from before about 2013, I believe it would have been the inferior model. Not sure of the exact year it changed though.

sanlyn 04-25-2016 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 34925)
They accept UYVY and then change the byte order to match YUY2. (Archived mirror of now-dead Huffyuv homepage.)

For what it's worth, there are actually two hardware revisions of the VC500 that use completely different chipsets. The newest says "VC500CXT" on the back of the device and uses a Conexant chip. If the one you used was from before about 2013, I believe it would have been the inferior model. Not sure of the exact year it changed though.

On the VC500, my apologies. I must have been having a Senior Moment. :o

I surely did confuse it with something else, don't know WTH it was. And you're right, it's decent stuff.

From what I've seen lately the Hauppauge USB clips blacks.

CZbwoi 04-27-2016 01:12 AM

Currently just finished testing the Hauppauge and the Elgato side by side and the Elgato won out. Both can capture lossless .avi in Vdub, use a compressor like Huffyuv or UT Video.

Elgato had more noise and that equals more potential fine detail. Hauppauge did some weird things like adding a thick black border only to the right side, when the feed was paused it would seizure weirdly every few seconds, odd things like that made me stray away from it. Elgato was the better choice because of the slight win in quality and because it always operated smoothly with no questionable behavior like the Haup.

But whatever you do, don't use the default software it tells you to download from their site, their "high quality" mode is crap. Just use Vdub and a compressor, capture it lossless, filter/resize/crop/QTGMC/fix it yourself in Avisynth/AvsPmod afterwards.

sanlyn 04-27-2016 05:43 AM

The Hauppauge clips blacks.
Elgato doesn't convey "more detail". Complaints about its noise levels are widespread.
QTGMC is not a cure-all.

Suit yourself. They're your tapes.

lordsmurf 04-27-2016 07:34 AM

Elgato is just a brand like ATI. I don't see mention of exact model anywhere. From what I've read lately, it seems some Hauppauge and Elgato devices are ATI 600 USB clones. Not the 610, however.

More noise = what VCR? It may be the real culprit.

I never use QTGMC to denoise, and in fact often pick settings that turn it off or weaken it.

CZbwoi 04-27-2016 11:02 AM

Quote:

The Hauppauge clips blacks.
Elgato doesn't convey "more detail". Complaints about its noise levels are widespread.
QTGMC is not a cure-all.

Suit yourself. They're your tapes.
Here is the thread I made if you want to read through it and view the samples, the user there certainly said it has slightly more detail because of the noise: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...ison?p=2442623

Tell me what you think after that. I never said QTGMC is a cure all, it's just the standard for deinterlacing like I want to do, I want that smoothness you get from twice the framerate. These will be played through Google Drive on phones and computers primarily for this family online cloud drive I'm making.

(and this will just be for my 8mm/Hi8 tapes, I don't have a VHS and VHS-C setup yet as I await a response from the DigitalFaq team)

Quote:

Elgato is just a brand like ATI. I don't see mention of exact model anywhere. From what I've read lately, it seems some Hauppauge and Elgato devices are ATI 600 USD clones. Not the 610, however.
Click the above link and see for yourself. What would you recommend then? I have Windows 7, no compatibility to install an internal video capture card, all I can do is USB.

Quote:

More noise = what VCR? It may be the real culprit.
No VCR, they are examples from my Hi8 player and VHS-C player with the DNR turned off, the latter of which I don't want to use anymore. I'm awaiting your guys' response still about those tapes and the VHS tapes...

Quote:

I never use QTGMC to denoise, and in fact often pick settings that turn it off or weaken it.
Everywhere tells me to slightly do it, for example I would do something like:

Code:

QTGMC(EZDenoise=4.0,Preset="Slow", Sharpness=2.3, SLMode=1 )
I know there are other filters and whatnot, but I'm not that experienced yet. If you have a suggestion of what to do instead be my guest.

edit: sanlyn I just realized this is a thread from nearly 2 years ago that you decided to comment back on and revive, any reason for that? :laugh:

sanlyn 04-27-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CZbwoi (Post 43846)
edit: sanlyn I just realized this is a thread from nearly 2 years ago that you decided to comment back on and revive, any reason for that? :laugh:

I corrected an error I posted about the VC500, which I had confused with something else.

CZbwoi 04-27-2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanlyn (Post 43847)
I corrected an error I posted about the VC500, which I had confused with something else.

This thread was never about Elgato. Don't you have an earlier thread on that question?

Yes, you never followed up on it with posting what you said you would. So I had to ask elsewhere and they said that out of the 2 the Elgato wins out, if you read that thread. Nobody here followed up with me on what to do or buy similar to those 2.

And I was simply letting OP know the other options as I currently have the Hauppauge and it's performing worse, a thread doesn't have to be about another option to be able to talk about it lol. Nevertheless, I wouldn't have done it if I realized this thread was from 2 years ago, I suspect OP doesn't need help anymore.

sanlyn 04-27-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CZbwoi (Post 43848)

I didn't post on the page you linked to. If you want something posted in that thread, place your request there. As it is, you went to another forum and spent over 100 posts there. Now that you've stated your preference for noisy video, why would anyone want to hassle with that?

CZbwoi 04-27-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanlyn (Post 43849)
I didn't post on the page you linked to. If you want something posted in that forum, place your request there.

Wait...what? Okay, on the 2nd page of the thread I linked to there's only 2 posts, so of course you never posted on that page of the thread - but you posted in the thread a ton. This is what you said on post #17 on the first page of that thread: "I'm running an HD edit right now that slows things down, so I'll get up a filter list later. The best way to get the hang of them is for you to submit a capture, and someone here will pounce on it and explain what's happening. I can also look up some old restoration threads you might take a look at. I'll try to get up some detail on what I did with your avi samples, but that will likely take until tomorrow."

You never followed up on that from nearly 2 weeks ago, never posted what you said you would, that's what I'm referring to. Presumably because you got annoyed from the following 2 posts? I don't know, I am a beginner and I'm sorry if I don't understand everything clearly the first time compared to someone with years of experience. That's why I have a lot of questions...

Quote:

Now that you've stated your preference for noisy video, why would anyone want to hassle with that?
Because *I don't know* if that should be my preference, I was advised that was a *good* thing to have in this case. If you guys here tell me otherwise and that jagabo over there is wrong, then that isn't my preference. I'm new to all of of this. I was simply waiting here for follow-ups to my questions and after msgohan told me to not ask about Premiere problems in it, I stopped and said I'll be waiting for sanlyn's responses to the main topic at hand. You never came back, so from a reliability standpoint on asking for future advice it left a sour taste in my mouth, I don't know what else to say.

There's 3 things you said you were gonna come back and do which you never did, so I went somewhere else to ask for advice when the second device came in and I got immediate help. They said noise is better in this situation, and I said okay. If you're saying that's not the case then tell me and explain why and point me to something else that I can buy in my situation. I'm not going to downgrade from Windows 7 to XP or buy another PC that can support a video capture card, my only option like you said is to go the USB route. I will maybe only be capturing 8mm/Hi8 tapes from a Hi8 camcorder, not VHS tapes as of now, that's if the DigitalFaq team ever gets back to me about my VHS and VHS-C tapes (lordsmurf said it'd be a couple days).

I know once again this is probably not the thread to do this in, as it's 2 years old and not about this, but the conversation came up.

sanlyn 04-27-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CZbwoi (Post 43850)
This is what you said on post #17 on the first page of that thread: "I'm running an HD edit right now that slows things down, so I'll get up a filter list later. The best way to get the hang of them is for you to submit a capture, and someone here will pounce on it and explain what's happening. I can also look up some old restoration threads you might take a look at. I'll try to get up some detail on what I did with your avi samples, but that will likely take until tomorrow."

You never followed up on that from nearly 2 weeks ago, never posted what you said you would, that's what I'm referring to. Presumably because you got annoyed from the following 2 posts?

No, not annoyed. There are many experts in the other forum who've seen a lot of video. I have great respect for jagabo and several others from whom I learned much for several years. However, I could see you're now on a different workflow track, using AvsPmod and encoder packages that I don't use because they don't meet my needs. So I can't advise you on using them.

As for capture gear, I've had to backtrack and will no longer recommend products I haven't used. I no longer have blind trust in other sources about them. However, I know enough to look at captures and see what's going on. The only capture cards I can recommend are those I've used, meaning AGP and PCIe All in Wonders that don't work in Windows 7 or later and have no quality counterparts today. I recently ordered three cheap USB cards I'll test myself in XP and Win7. They might work out OK, maybe not. But I doubt they'll be as good as the old AIW's and XP, short of spending $1000 or more for a capture device.

Sorry things went awry. I can advise on Avisynth, but I don't use the other software you're working with now. My own take on "more noise is better" is in disagreement with what some others have said. But debating the issue will get multiple opinions. You have to learn to look at video, recognize good and bad, and draw your own conclusions. Noise was not the only problem.

CZbwoi 04-28-2016 02:41 AM

Quote:

Sorry things went awry. I can advise on Avisynth, but I don't use the other software you're working with now. My own take on "more noise is better" is in disagreement with what some others have said. But debating the issue will get multiple opinions.
It's okay, just simple internet misunderstandings. Avisynth more or less = AvsPmod, as that is just an extension of Avisynth to make it more simple for people like me, so if you'd still like to help out and continue with what you were going to do in the other thread: samples/filter list/those old threads, it'd be nice :)

Quote:

You have to learn to look at video, recognize good and bad, and draw your own conclusions. Noise was not the only problem.
Hm..what else was? (you can continue the conversation in the other thread if you want since its probably a good idea to leave this thread as is)