digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   How to test a TBC-1000 DataVideo? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/7284-how-test-tbc.html)

three_jeeps 04-15-2016 10:36 AM

How to test a TBC-1000 DataVideo?

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to consider my question.
I recently obtained a used TBC-1000 from a person who said he didn't need it anymore and according to him, it worked well. I have no reason to doubt him.
I would, however, like to ensure in my own mind that the unit does indeed work.

I am looking for some descriptions of tests I could do to make sure the unit is working as intended. Any pointers? or direct responses?

The ac-dc converter died so I needed to secure a new one. I searching the forums, I came across discussions about a bad video amp IC (?) that was suggested to replace, but I could not find the root of such remarks. I am well capable of repairing anything electronic, so replacing a chip is no problem.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks
J

lordsmurf 04-24-2016 11:41 PM

One easy test =

Put a retail copy protected tape in a VCR, plug VCR into TBC, TBC into capture card. See what happens.
Remove TBC from chain, plug VCR directly into capture card. See what happens.

three_jeeps 04-25-2016 08:48 AM

When playing it, should I watch it on the monitor or capture it to a file? So please give me a hint, what should be the difference? See or not see?

lordsmurf 04-25-2016 10:41 PM

Capture it.
Compare them.

You're looking for signs that the TBC is not working. The reason to use a copy-protected tape is because (artificial) errors are guaranteed. Color issues, flickering, tearing, etc. Anything imperfect. You should see major problems trying to capture the tape without TBC, in addition to dropped frames. And no errors with the TBC in the chain.

What capture device are you using?

three_jeeps 04-25-2016 11:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 43782)
Capture it.
Compare them.

You're looking for signs that the TBC is not working. The reason to use a copy-protected tape is because (artificial) errors are guaranteed. Color issues, flickering, tearing, etc. Anything imperfect. You should see major problems trying to capture the tape without TBC, in addition to dropped frames. And no errors with the TBC in the chain.

What capture device are you using?

OK, ty. ATM, I have a Diamond VC500CXT, but, per your suggestion, and scouting for a AIW card.
I do have a DBC-1000.
I currently have a LG DVD -VHS recorder - RC199H
Manual is here....http://www.disc-player.com/manuals/lg/LG_RC199H.pdf

I did a quick test I took a tape I made on a Panasonic VHS-C camcorder, and recorded it to the DVD. I've attached two screenshots of issues that appeared (tearing?). It looks like the camera looses synch...the tearing is most apparent 3-4 seconds after camera recording is started...the tearing also shows up on playback in the panasonic camera. Any insight as to what the anaomalies are called and how to fix them, if possible? Thanks
John

lordsmurf 04-25-2016 11:38 PM

What you see there is a tracking/alignment issue. Not timing, so TBC will not help.

three_jeeps 04-25-2016 11:45 PM

Thank you. I sort of thought that may be the issue. SInce it is recorded on the tape and is present on the camera playback as well as two other VHS decks, there must have been a tracking problem with the camera and no amount of magic can restore the frame information (I am assuming)?

Would playing it through the TBC 'hurt' the capture in any way?
Thanks
John

lordsmurf 04-26-2016 12:49 AM

Maybe, maybe not. You can sometimes break/misalign a VCR to match the alingment/tracking error on the source tapes. So not all is lost. But that does take time, much experimentation, and obviously an unwanted VCR that may never work well afterwards.

TBC only helps timing. It will usually ignore tracking errors entirely.

msgohan 05-10-2016 01:01 PM

LS: I feel like you skipped over the part about VHS-C. Couldn't the solution be as "simple" as a better adapter?
Quote:

Originally Posted by three_jeeps (Post 43783)
I currently have a LG DVD -VHS recorder - RC199H
I did a quick test I took a tape I made on a Panasonic VHS-C camcorder

lordsmurf 05-10-2016 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 44078)
LS: I feel like you skipped over the part about VHS-C. Couldn't the solution be as "simple" as a better adapter?

I did. :smack:

VHS-C really needs a Panasonic AG-1980P with a JVC/Panasonic metal 'C' adapter (example: CP7U). A camera usually plays VHS-C tapes really badly (tracking errors, etc), and even other good VJC S_VHS players want to eat the tape.

This was a miserable format. We used it, too. But Hi8 would have been a better choice. :(