digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Jitter / Frame rate issue (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/8612-jitter-frame-rate.html)

JamieStar99 04-03-2018 03:48 PM

Jitter / Frame rate issue

3 Attachment(s)
I am having some issues with some VHS footage I have captured (problem footage attached).

There is some pronounced jitter (I'm sorry if this isn't the correct word!) in certain portions throughout the capture, resulting in playback that doesn't look smooth when encoded to MPEG2. Playing the VHS tape live also presents the same problem, although not to such a jarring degree.

It is even more noticeable when deinterlaced (I've deinterlaced using QTGMC to 50fps to see if it's a pixel shift in even or odd frames but it doesn't look like this is the case).

For some reason, the deinterlaced video reports playback at 40fps in MPC player which is something I've never seen before.

My current chain is JVC 7955 > DMR-ES10 > USB LIVE 2 using S-Video and I am capturing lossless AVI using the Huffyuv codec.

I hope the footage explains the issue I'm having. Does anyone know exactly what the problem is and if this footage is somewhat treatable?

hodgey 04-03-2018 04:36 PM

Was the tbc in the VCR on? The line TBC in the JVC machines is known to jitter up and down on some tapes, so it may work better with it turned off on this tape, the ES10 should clean it up pretty nicely anyway.

JamieStar99 04-03-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgey (Post 53598)
Was the tbc in the VCR on? The line TBC in the JVC machines is known to jitter up and down on some tapes, so it may work better with it turned off on this tape, the ES10 should clean it up pretty nicely anyway.

No, the tape was unplayable with the JVC TBC on, its far too erratic. It has the video stabilizer on.

themaster1 04-04-2018 07:05 AM

40fps in MPC player for a 50fps video something's wrong here

sanlyn 04-06-2018 03:07 AM

I don't see a playback problem. But, then, I'm stuck with a dell laptop at the moment and I can't imagine a worse machine for video work than a Dell laptop.

Why is your VHS capture interlaced as bottom field first?

JamieStar99 04-06-2018 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanlyn (Post 53620)
I don't see a playback problem. But, then, I'm stuck with a dell laptop at the moment and I can't imagine a worse machine for video work than a Dell laptop.

Why is your VHS capture interlaced as bottom field first?

I'm not sure. That's what VirtualDub is spitting out and I haven't selected to swap fields at any point.

sanlyn 04-06-2018 09:37 PM

I don't see any jitter, but I do see a lot of unsteady camera shake and two video samples that appear to have been thru previous modification. Can't help you there. A piece of unaltered original might yield different results.