04-11-2021, 05:51 AM
Free Member

Greetings,

sorry if there is a summary in another thread. Please just link it and close this thread.

I just want to summarize these technology features (at least those what i heard about):
TBC, DigiPure, Dynamic Drum, DNR etc.

As i understand more of these are just marketing bs, others are just effect badly on quality sometimes and there are essentials like line and frame TBCs. Everytime somebody ask about the basic workflow, it has to contain TBC (or TBC-isch) element. That's why i am always looking for VCRs with TBC, but what about the other features?

When i bought my first TBC VCR the seller explained that every VCR has a factory settings / adjustment that i shouldn't readjust, like set the rollers. I actually did that to remove the image problem at the bottom of the screen. Instead i should get the recorder VCR and play back the cassette on that the recording was made because it has the some adjustment, not mine and i don't have to change the factory settings on my VCR. It is nearly impossible to get back the recorder VCR (broken, missing, sold, etc.) and it is also not acceptable to leave this image error in the digitized footage. So now as i heard about Dynamic Drum it makes sense.
Dynamic Drum comes in handy in this situation when you need to playback the cassette like this would be the same VCR the recording was made, so the adjustment is automatic?

More forum members have problem with it after a lot of rewind and fast forwarding so until it works it's is very useful but after it brokes it becames a curse? Everything can get broke, damaged but there is a difference between hardware and software features. For example DigiPure gives you nothing to the quaility maybe makes it even worse but at least you can turn it off in the menu with the remote so it doesn't matter if the VCR has this feature, you don't have to avoid from that because you see this text on the front.

I also respect JVC as brand because in my mind i identifies it as a pioneer in VHS technology. They researched and developed new technologies. Maybe other brands developed there own simultaneously or just stole it. I am not alone with my enthusiasm for JVC on this forum because lot of you mentioned JVC brand in the first place and i think it is not coincidence. Really JVC improved the technology so deserve this title and should thankfully thinking about it or my enthusiasm is unrealistic and JVC is just a manufacturer like any other? Of course this could cause my incomplete knowledge, please correct me if i am wrong.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-11-2021, 11:48 AM
Free Member

The dynamic drum only adjusts when doing fast forward/reverse/pause etc, it doesn't help for normal play. (Techically it can be tilted manual with the elusive service remote in service mode but I don't have one so it's not something I've tried.)

JVC was the original developer of the VHS format, though they did borrow a lot from earlier developments and formats. A number of companies also did their own research and were involved in the parts of VCRs though, like Hitachi, Toshiba, Sanyo and others. Then there is also the fact that JVC was majority owned by Matsushita aka Panasonic until 2007, and also was a large shareholder in Philips at one period. JVCs own VCRs were generally well made though, though ironically some of the last budget VCRs released under the JVC name seem to be OEM LG-made decks.

Anyhow, what I've personally done with bad-alignment tapes is play them on a cheaper non-SVHS deck that I wasn't too worried about messing with and adjust the alignment to match the tape. This + passing the output through a panasonic or other dvd-recorder that performs TBC/jitter correction usually gives a relatively decent result. Using the original VCR may not always be an option, and even if one does, it may have other issues or not the best quality output so it may not be ideal anyhow.
04-11-2021, 09:31 PM
Free Member

You would rather have a VCR with no dynamic drum than with a dynamic drum, It doesn't affect playback but when it breaks it will, in a negative way.
04-12-2021, 02:12 AM
Free Member

That seems reasonable but from looking at the way the drum tilts it seems such JVC models could be modified to operate solely for optimal playback of tapes recorded on machines with mechanically misaligned tape paths. This would be an improvement on the difficulty of having to adjust entry and exit guide heights which guides were never designed for regular adjustment as a front panel tracking control was.

As with a manual tracking control, a central detent point would make it easy from the front panel to default back to standard alignment.
04-12-2021, 03:02 PM
Free Member

Thank you for the responses. Sorry, i am totally confused again

The dynamic drum feature i completely misunderstood. I expected something different. So it helps when i am not doing the main job (digitizing) just searching through the tape. When it brakes then i will be in serious trouble. Okay avoiding from dynamic drum. I don't want to rewind and fast forwarding the tape just rewind at the beginning and start capture. The seller guy said: might buy a cassette rewinder so i won't wear out my digitizing gear.

What hodgey suggested is totally the opposite what i learnt: get a decent VHS with line tbc, use an external frame tbc so you will get the best quaility. We agreed that don't adjusting anything in an expensive VCR. Instead using a cheaper one that i can adjust without bad feeling of damaging and discard line TBC and other quality improvement feature and just using an external full frame TBC. This is why i am confused. There is no true solution for this problem?
04-12-2021, 04:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape View Post
That seems reasonable but from looking at the way the drum tilts it seems such JVC models could be modified to operate solely for optimal playback of tapes recorded on machines with mechanically misaligned tape paths. This would be an improvement on the difficulty of having to adjust entry and exit guide heights which guides were never designed for regular adjustment as a front panel tracking control was.

As with a manual tracking control, a central detent point would make it easy from the front panel to default back to standard alignment.
Yes and no, For the system to be utilized for playback one needs to modify the control circuit so it measures the RF signal strength and move the motor head for optimum reading just like it would in FS, RS and pause. Another way is to isolate the motor from the system and have a trim pod outside the VCR to control the motor manually for best visual results and then the system will be supplied with a constant pulse to avoid shutdown. Either way it is not going to be an easy modification.
04-12-2021, 05:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
- TBC = timebaser corrector, line type when in VCR
- DigiPure = marketing name for NR in JVC decks
- Dynamic Drum = drum tilts during playback, better playback*
- DNR = aka NR, noise reduction

* This is disputed online. Some folks say it has no effect during regular playback, only during FF/REW/pause. But I'm not convinced. It was explained to me decades ago as having some affect on regular playback. And when I see the output quality of 9500, 9600, 9800, 9900, it seems to be the case, when compared to non-DD units. Unfortunately, with DDs breaking constantly in recent years (past 5+), most DD decks are best avoided for long-term usage. So arguing over this has become moot.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-12-2021, 09:27 PM
Free Member

It's confirmed that it does not have any effect on playback, I did almost a surgical procedure on this feature.
04-13-2021, 12:14 AM
Free Member

I suspect you're right but either way, wouldnt JVC the manufacturers have stated clearly in which playback modes it operates?
04-13-2021, 09:32 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
What hodgey suggested is totally the opposite what i learnt: get a decent VHS with line tbc, use an external frame tbc so you will get the best quaility. We agreed that don't adjusting anything in an expensive VCR. Instead using a cheaper one that i can adjust without bad feeling of damaging and discard line TBC and other quality improvement feature and just using an external full frame TBC. This is why i am confused. There is no true solution for this problem?
Well you don't "discard" line TBC, in that setup it's just done by the dvd-recorder instead of the VCR itself. I mean for the absolute optimal result you could misalign an expensive SVHS VCR with TBC. However unless you want to mess up the alignment of a very expensive machine using a cheaper one with adjusted alignment and letting the dvd-recorder do the tbc part would give you a better result than playing it in a SVHS deck that can't track it properly due to the misaligned recording. For tapes that don't have alignment issues you use the normal approach of course.

Of course if one was running a big digitizing business and had a lot of vcrs one could maybe afford to have a dedicated high-end deck for misaligned tapes, but for an end user digitizing their own tapes that may not be ideal.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: Cortez (04-13-2021)
04-13-2021, 10:01 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Well you don't "discard" line TBC, in that setup it's just done by the dvd-recorder instead of the VCR itself. I mean for the absolute optimal result you could misalign an expensive SVHS VCR with TBC. However unless you want to mess up the alignment of a very expensive machine using a cheaper one with adjusted alignment and letting the dvd-recorder do the tbc part would give you a better result than playing it in a SVHS deck that can't track it properly due to the misaligned recording. For tapes that don't have alignment issues you use the normal approach of course.

Of course if one was running a big digitizing business and had a lot of vcrs one could maybe afford to have a dedicated high-end deck for misaligned tapes, but for an end user digitizing their own tapes that may not be ideal.
Ahh now i understand. So this alignment adjusting is totally true as the seller said. I mean i shouldn't do it manually by myself instead leave it at factory / default alignment. So i might buy a consumer VCR with a DVD recorder and get a VCR with the similar capabilities like a decent one for a lower price. That i can adjusting without frustration to damage it because it is not that expensive. I assume the different manufacturers define different tape alignment settings so with 2 or 3 decent VHS player i can playback the tape on one of them with a fairly good quality. Like an average settings for all tape alignments.

benzio actually made this alignment adjusting based on LordSmurf's guide on a S9600. He must be a very brave guy:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...g-problem.html
04-13-2021, 03:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
unless you want to mess up the alignment of a very expensive
< raises hand >

I do this.

But it's NOT really what I'd suggest for others! Not easy to put it back into alignment!

I have an A+ SR-V101 (and A+ is rarer grade for that model) that I specifically realign to the need of a project. Sometimes projects are tough, but I've not met an alignment yet that couldn't be dealt with using this A+ unit. Note that other grades are very hit-or-miss, especially with consumer VHS decks. My deck hasn't had a proper alignment in year now, only gets misaligned as needed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs