Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-24-2022, 12:16 AM
Free Member

I've been wanting to digitize my personal VHS tapes for a while now, as overtime they degrade. I had done some of them with the Elgato Video Capture, but recently someone approached me asking me to digitize their VHS tapes as well, so this has become an even more priority of a project than it was before, so I've done more research. I figured out that the Elgato Video Capture isn't the best of quality, especially after I noticed the audio was not staying in sync after using it a few times.

So after doing more research my new setup consists of the following:

JVC HR-S9800U (upgraded to this, has TBC, had to change a capacitor in it to get it to work, through that process the mechanism that takes and ejects the tapes doesn't sound very good, but it is working.)

StarTech.com HDMI upscaler

Elgato 4K60 Pro internal capture card

And I am using Virtual Dub.

So I have my VCR, which is plugged into the HDMI upscaler via S-Video, and then the upscaler is plugged into my PC via HDMI to my internal capture card.

This setup is working, I've only done a few test with it. In Virtual dub it's 16:9 so I have to encode it in Handbrake to 4:3. The quality seems ok, but movement in the video seems to show some blurriness/artifacts. Also I did notice a black flicker with the TBC on with one of the tapes.

My main questions regarding my setup are what settings to use in Virtual Dub and in Handbrake to achieve the highest quality possible. With this setup Virtual Dub does not allow me to use the 29.97 FPS, and the only two output sizes are 1280 x 720 (default size) and 1920 x 1080.

and then the other question is whether my setup is optimal enough? If it is not then what is? What changes would I need to make to my setup to achieve high quality? I'm looking for advice and some help so I get rolling on this project of mine. I want to get to digitizing these tapes.

Asking for lordsmurf's help or anybody else willing to give some great input.

Thank you,

Kyle
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-24-2022, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Elgato Video Capture isn't the best of quality, especially after I noticed the audio was not staying in sync after using it a few times.
Elgato not the best, true. The audio issues might not be its mistake tho, it might be the tape, the vcr, or other factors. Might be solvable with some TBC/TBCish device.

Quote:
StarTech.com HDMI upscaler

Elgato 4K60 Pro internal capture card
These are a no-no NO NO, big NO. I suggest your read more in the forum about HD hardware upscale and HD capture cards, these have been discussed a lot of times, and the short answer is upscaler, No, and even HD cards with SD support, are not the right tool for SD VHS capture. Just because they work and support it, does not mean they do it properly.

Quote:
In Virtual dub it's 16:9 so I have to encode it in Handbrake to 4:3
Yes, because your upscaler is stretching it. Why stretch then fix? Do not introduce the problem since the beginning.

Check out the website for digitizing guides, a simple search for "capture card guide" you will find the recommended cards, also check
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...rd-capture.htm

You might eventually decide to buy a TBC, depending on your budget, how badly you need it and how convinced of their value you are. So I suggest you read more in this forum about TBC, and read the TBC buying guide.

Good luck!

P.s: I think this thread is in the wrong forum/section
01-24-2022, 04:54 PM
Free Member

The approach to take depends on your ultimate goals and your willingness to invest time and money in the process. However, there is no earthly reason to try upscale VHS (or Video8, or Beta or other SD formats) to HD in the capture process.

Lossy capture formats should not be used for typical home video because it typically has high noise levels that defy quality compression, especially video shot in moderate to poor light levels. Also the image artifacts introduced during lossy compression are magnified by the decoding/recoding involved with image correction/restoration processes.

Capture in quality, lossless in the original image format (typically 720x480 for digitized NTSC). Do your color correction, noise reduction, editing, restoration starting with the lossless file. But keep a copy of the original lossless file unedited if you need to revisit the project at a later date. Then do any further upscaling, deinterlacing, etc (if really needed) to the distribution format as a last step.

In general, modern TV/DVD/BD players will do a better job of upscaling SD images than typical consumer software.

Audio drift is often the result of dropped or missing frames and can be caused by glitches in the video stream such as those caused by recorder stop/starts. (The audio is continuous but the video signal [the sync portion] is interrupted and that fools the capture device.)

An external full frame TBC is important. This is in addition to the internal line TBC in the VCR. They may not be needed for all tapes, but will be essential for some, and may reduce the audio sync issues.
01-24-2022, 08:37 PM
Free Member

So are you saying I'm better off using the elgato video capture rather than the hdmi upscaler and elgato internal capture card?

Also sorry if this is the wrong section for this type of post, I'm new to the forum and wasn't sure where to post.

Are the recommended cards ones that have S-Video/Composite? Wouldn't those only work on older computers?
01-24-2022, 09:06 PM
Free Member

The point that other threads here give the recommended work flows and gear for the best results with VHS tapes. Elgato and upscaling are not it.

Other work flows and gear may work generally but with lesser final quality potential. However, the results may meet your need. No one else can judge that. If you are satisfied with the results you are getting declare victory and go for it. If not, than look to the recommended workflows and gear.

The recommended capture devices all support S-VIDEO because it is a superior connection method than composite video, even for plain old VHS. Other threads discuss the issues of PC bus options, operating systems, software, etc.
01-24-2022, 09:27 PM
Free Member

Ok, you've told me what I'm doing is not it, so what is? Right now I'm not even sure if I'm satisfied with the results I'm getting, because I'm not even sure if my settings are right for what I'm doing, I'm not knowledgeable with Virtual Dub. The reason why I went the hdmi scaler and capture card route was because that's what someone else told me what the right way to do it, and now when when I buy the stuff for it and go to an online forum to ask for the right settings I get told what I'm doing is a big no no. I am not mad at or blaming anyone I'm just incredibly frustrated because I've been trying to get these tapes digitized for months for this guy as I mentioned in my initial post, and now I feel like I'm at square one.

Having to go through hundreds of forum threads to find what is the right way to do it is not very motivating, as that is not as easy as it seems, everyone has different situations, I'm not sure where to start now, I thought I was almost there and now I'm not. I went to that link that mbassiouny shared, but it didn't list capture cards just a list of type of capture cards, I'm not sure where to branch off from that to figure out what I need. This really is a cry out for help in a way because I've been so caught up on this.

Sorry for the rant, just having a lot of anxiety over this.
01-25-2022, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

Hey,

Quote:
So are you saying I'm better off using the elgato video capture rather
just "better", probably not good enough. I never owned elgato card, but read enough bad things here about them and saw enough sample to safely say avoid them.

Quote:
I'm just incredibly frustrated because I've been trying to get these tapes digitized for months for this guy as I mentioned in my initial post, and now I feel like I'm at square one.

Sorry for the rant, just having a lot of anxiety over this.
I feel you. Your case is very common. I have been through this myself. But please allow me to tell you something. Digitizing tapes is not a very simple task, it takes some time to read, don't expect to spend 1 hour on forums and be good to go, and more importantly read the right information. A lot of youtube videos and other random "how-to" guides are "wrong"/giving bad recommendations. So congrats on doing the first right step by coming to this forum.

Let me spare you a little bit of search
First of all you might wanna read this : http://www.digitalfaq.com/editorials...g-workflow.htm
tl;dr: A good worfkow contains the following: Good VCR with internal (line TBC) + a frame TBC + good capture card.

For the VCR: you might wanna read this
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

Then for the capture card, this one takes a bit of time, fastest way to know the good models and brands is :
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...rd-capture.htm
+ http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...ati-600-a.html
Nothing forces you to buy from the marketplace, it is your choice.
You want to decide if you want to build a capture PC with an internal card, or you want an external USB capture device.
Then are you willing to get one of the known good cards (for example an ATI 600) for 100+ or do you wanna be in the 50-60 range?
If you want cards that are common in the market (i.e on amazon for 50-60) nowadays and are usually acceptable (or good sometimes ) there are: i-o data GV-usb2, Hauppauge USB-live2, Diamond VC500. But bear in mind that these have many revisions and many versions on the market, so you can get a good one, a bad one, depends on your luck. I tried that myself and decided it is worth it to spend 100ish bucks and get one from LS. For the recent cards there are reviews for each one, you can just type "Card X vs Card Y digitalfaq" on google you probably find something.

Finally the question of TBC, first you need to understand what is a (frame) TBC:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html
You probably need to read that one twice.

Now with the high prices of TBCs, getting one in your workflow, is not really easy. + A lot of people have trouble accepting to pay for them (even if they can). So imho it depends, are your tapes acceptable enough to go without time correction? what issues do you have with your tapes? The best technique is to buy a TBC if you can, use it, resell it in a month or two. It will be like renting it for free. Alternatively, depending on the issues you encounter with your videos, you might be able to be satisfied with a cheaper TBCish alternative. Example: using a dvd recorder (like DMR ES 10) as passthrough does some TBCish effect.

Ideally you want to take care of getting the VCR, a good one is needed, then the capture card. Start capturing some of your tapes, see if they are good, what issues you encounter, feel free to post samples here and ask members for suggestions, and depending on that you can decide what TBC/TBCish device you might wanna get (with the help of forum members if you need ? ), or if you might accept the result without one.

Bear in mind, you need to spend some time tweaking your setup and settings, etc, it takes hours before you can capture anything just to be able to buy and setup things. It is normal, we all do that and live with it. Do not be frustrated. Patience is needed, you don't want to rush things otherwise you end up with bad results. A lot of people end up rushing things and make lousy captures. Few months/years later they notice it, and end up coming back and deciding to stick to the recommendations even if it is expensive. I am one of them. Ideally you don't want to repeat people's mistakes.

If you have 100 hours recorded on Tapes, expect to spend 150-200 hours on this (because capture is 1:1 so 100 hours for the capture itself + the time you need to test, tweak, review, etc)

P.S, A lot of video gear are very expensive or hard to find these days, sadly. But remember what LS always says. "buy it, use it, sell it".

Good luck!
01-25-2022, 04:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Long posts.

Elgato earned the nickname Elcrapo for their capture cards. This confuses some people, because Elgato also makes awesome items (Wave:3 mic = excellent!). Their mistake is assuming everything Elgato makes is good.

JVC 9800 is good. Line TBC (not frame). Usually issue with 9800 is DD, not caps. Odd.

HDMI upscale = bad. Very bad. The quality will get screwed, everything from interlace to artifacts.

VirtualDub 1.9.x good, 1.10.x or FM less often, VirtualDub2 rarely. The latter actually induces dropped frames.

No, don't capture 16x9 and then use Handbrake to un-stretch it to 4x3. That workflow is a mess. In fact, Handbrake is pretty crappy compared to Hybrid, when you do need to actually use an encoder.

That "black flicker" is from total lack of frame TBC. (Not line TBC in VCR.) Line cleans image, frame cleans signal, you need both. You may dropped frames and not know it, but it often shows as audio sync errors. Not always, can cause other audio speed issues, stutter, etc. Easy to miss until actually watching footage, not just previewing it in tiny computer window.

Quality starts before VirtualDub. Here is no different.

You need a better capture card, SD made for SD. Not some HD "also does SD" (and badly) card.

TBC is require, not optional. What is optional is how good (or bad) quality you want. There are TBC(ish) options, cut corners, compromises quality and workflow ease. Or actual TBCs, the "easy button". Yes, those cost some bucks, buy buy it, use it, resell it. If this is for longterm hobby, all hobbies have costs, and $2K is cheap compared to other hobbies. If for business, it's a capex expense tool, the end.

@mb: Yes, wrong forum. Moving.

No, that Elgato is a paperweight here.

Yes, SD cards with s-video, but not just any random cards. Specific models known for quality. You can rummage around the forum for info on models, as well as look in the marketplace for some for sale. Capture cards depend on OS, so what OS. WinXP/7 best, Win10, modern Mac and Linux mostly unusable.

Standard workflow = VCR > TBC > capture card.
Not just any unit, but specific models known for quality, to perform as needed.
Ideal = JVC S-VHS VCR with line TBC > actual frame TBC > capture card, usually USB, exact model used depends on factors

Right now, settings don't matter, the hardware is the problem. Sort that first.

That "someone else" that told you to get a HDMI scaler may not know his ass from his elbow, when it comes to video. Was it a random Youtuber? I've been doing this for over 20 years now (WOW, OMG, WOW), I know this better than most. Lots of my info is in "best practices" manuals, used by museums and archives, etc.

Video is frustrating. You ain't seen nothin' yet! A bad tape can be an ordeal. See also: ALWAYS check tapes before ramming into the VCR, because a mold and damaged tape can (and often WILL!) ruin your $$$$ VCR. So patience. Deep breaths. Calm. Slow. Meticulous.

It's hard to have one-size-fits-all video advice. The forum is custom advice in threads. You have a thread, now you get custom advice. Others reading may learn what's needed, or they may learn enough to ask questions in their own threads.

Yes, congrats on doing your homework/research here. You'll get there.

I really need to write that inverse guide, what a bare home/hobby/DIY setup looks like. I mostly wrote the pro setup guide because I was tired of hearing "I don't need a TBC, I don't need nothin' pro" stupidity. Their idea of "pro" wasn't at all pro. So now they can see what that means.

All gear is now used. So you're cheap at your own peril: incomplete gear, "working" or "tested" gear from eBay that is neither working nor tested, etc. This gear was never sold at Best Buy or Walmart, and vague (also often wrong) memories of what a cheap Funai VCR combo deck cost 15 years ago doesn't apply.

TBC is not optional, the OP already knows that (without knowing why) when he saw flickers and audio sync issues, and likely more errors he didn't realize shouldn't be there. At very minimalist, use the non-TBC frame sync of an ES10/15. But it's an extreme workaround with downsides. Yes, cheap, but you get what you pay for here.

Yes, lots and lots and lots of people are now redoing projects they (or a quack service) screwed up in the 00s or 10s. The converted video is not enjoyable to watch.

Phew ... and done.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-25-2022, 05:33 AM
Premium Member

@lordsmurf, so I guess OP's next step is: step 1: Getting a known-good capture card.

step2: Then check his VCR, if it is in good shape, needs cleaning or refurbing?
I don't like this sentence :
Quote:
through that process the mechanism that takes and ejects the tapes doesn't sound very good
I think his VCR needs to be checked, but I am no expert with mechanical devices like VCRs... So I can't tell

Once these are sorted out, he can start to think about the full frame TBC, see how badly he needs one and see his options for his budget. (ofc if his budget allows it, he can buy the TBC along with the card at step 1 directly, without too much thinking but I am assuming he want to do things incrementally and see for himself why he will need a TBC even with a good capture card. )
01-25-2022, 05:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

Yes, known-good capture card, based on OS --- maybe project needs (restoration vs. not, aka the legal/illegal 16-235 issue if NTSC), but not seeing that here. Don't see that with most, just needs solid capture.

That JVC issue may be the motor. Those go. Would need to hear it.

01-25-2022, 09:30 PM
Free Member

First off, I want to thank you to all of you for your input and help. I am overly thankful and I very much appreciate it.

I don't post on forums very often as my go to is usually Discord for help, but I see the benefit to this as forum threads are great resources. Discord just has that benefit of quicker communication and easier media sharing imo.

You have given me a lot to read, I haven't even gotten to the links you gave me so I still have even more to read yet. It all has been very helpful, this forum definitely serves its purpose.

To answer some questions and just more information of what I have... The person who told me about using an HDMI upscaler initially was someone on a Discord server for VHS tapes, this is a small server but he was referred to as the expert, but it has now become clear to me that is not the case. After hearing about using an HDMI upscaler from him, I watched some YouTube videos using this method and it had me convinced that it was the way to go.

I did decide to purchase the JVC 9800 from a post that lordsmurf created so I at least I got something right... I bought it parts or not working off eBay as this was half the usual price. It did not power on and I figured out that it was due to a small capacitor right next to a heatshield on the power supply part of the motherboard. The JVC 9800 is not as easy to disassemble as you would think as there are two screws that are not easy to access, they are at the bottom of the deck and are covered by the carriage above. To access these screws I had to move the mechanism back, and to do this I had to manually move the motor belt and I think that bound some things up and is causing the "mechanism that takes and ejects the tapes doesn't sound very good". It still takes and ejects tapes and plays them with no issues, just does not sound right when it takes tapes and ejects them. Worries me that it could get worse. Happy to provide a video/audio of the sound it makes.

This YouTube video, if you watch from 1:20 - 2:00 that explains exactly what I did to get to those screws.

This video was also helpful, the models in these videos are not the 9800U but they are all very similar so disassembly is practically the same.

From what I read about capture cards so far is USB and internal cards that have S-Video input? I like to think the internal capture cards would be better, and from what I understand I will probably need a separate dedicated PC for this with Windows XP or Windows 7? I actually do have several older computers that can run XP so I could easily go this route. I do recall mbassiouny mentioning the Hauppauge USB-live2, I actually have it as someone recommended it to me on Discord after I mentioned having audio sync issues with the Elgato Video Capture, but not very long after that is when I was told about the HDMI upscaler method so I didn't mess with it that much.

The Line and Frame TBC.. I now know that there two different types of TBC thanks to you. I wasn't even aware of this. From YouTube videos I watched it was stated "You can either get an external TBC or buy a VCR that has one built in", so I thought they were the same. I thought why would I buy an external TBC when I can just buy a VCR that already has one, that's less hardware to deal with, now my thought has changed and I actually want a Frame TBC to correspond with my built in line TBC.

So, I need to set my HDMI upscaler aside, probably will get put away with all the other extra hardware I have, might get used for retro gaming. Also I guess the Elgato 4k Capture card may be nice if I ever decide to use it for livestreaming.

I already have a great VCR, next step...

Figure out what Frame TBC and capture card to get. Is the Hauppauge USB-live2 I have good enough? Or is there an internal capture card I should go with? Definitely something I will have to look into as I do not have a lot of knowledge on old capture cards, I am open to suggestions, same for the Frame TBC.

I have lots of VHS tapes to digitize, and then the 8mm Video Cassettes are next.. but that's another adventure for when I get there...

Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited by Kyle00; 01-25-2022 at 09:33 PM. Reason: grammar/formatting
01-25-2022, 10:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

Discord is really just a chatroom. For some things, those are great. For others, not. It was made for video gamers, but doesn't scale well to every topic. I stopped using chat about 15 years ago, tired of wasting my advice in small rooms/groups. Want to help more folks that that allows.

Ah, okay, yeah, no-power is a power board caps issue. Good job there.

JVC decks are a PITA to disassemble. A simple trick, though not safe, is to trick the deck into taking a tape, but yank it out before the deck can latch onto it. What happens is the transport starts to move inwards, then outward. In that split second between in and out, you can yank the power cord. No power, no motor. The screws are then easy to access. That makes other problems, and can be risky, but will allow easy removal of the transport cage to address the underlying board.

Something may be bent on the cage. All it takes it 1mm to screw it up.

The thing about Youtube is this: a great many, many people you're watching know the same as you, or less. Not often more. You need to a vet a person's credentials. I don't currently make Youtube videos, but if I did... For example, I have credentials in video. Listen to me. But if I make videos about small engine repair, beware. I'm more likely to catch it on fire than fix it. My knowledge of that would come from watching other Youtube videos, and they may know nothing as well. Youtube is an echo chamber more than not.

There's nothing better an internal vs. external. What matters is the card itself. USB, AGP, PCI, etc -- all just comm ports, nothing else. It just transmits data. Each has caveats, pitfalls, and benefits -- though, again, some of those are actually do to the cards in question.

The Live2 is currently a neutral card. Not suggested, not not suggested. It had a longer production run than most, and issues are variable. Same for the VC500, which is now not suggested, almost always issues with it (and reports that it was "fine" are more and more suspect). The Live2 can have audio sync issues as well, seemingly unrelated to workflow hardware. Workarounds like AmarecTV suggested there.

Yes, HDMI upscalers were for old games and DVD players -- use it for that.

For suggestions on TBC and card: Tell me more about your tapes. Camcorder, VCR-made, copies of copies, retail, exactly what? SP, LP, SLP/EP? If mix, % of each? Signals will vary on each type, need to pair gear to it.

Video8 and Hi8 (not 8mm, that's film) are actually easier to work with, though more drop-happy for dropped frames, so frame TBC even more essential here.

Text is fine, you know how to use paragraphs, periods.

01-26-2022, 12:59 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Discord is really just a chatroom. For some things, those are great. For others, not. It was made for video gamers, but doesn't scale well to every topic.
I love Discord, it has voice/video/livestreaming which is very helpful/useful for some things. It was designed for gamers but there are servers for almost everything. That's just my personal opinion though. It has its pros and cons.

Quote:
JVC decks are a PITA to disassemble
Definitely agreed!

Quote:
For suggestions on TBC and card: Tell me more about your tapes. Camcorder, VCR-made, copies of copies, retail, exactly what? SP, LP, SLP/EP? If mix, % of each? Signals will vary on each type, need to pair gear to it.
I have 46 VHS tapes that are of memories (family memories, high school basketball games, etc.), and I very much want to capture all of these at the highest quality possible. These would have been recorded with a VHS camera/camcorder. The rest are VCR recordings of television or retail movies/shows, these I am not as interested in capturing, but may end up doing so once I get through the tapes that are most important to me personally.

I could not tell you if the VHS tapes are SP, LP, or EP because I do not know how to tell, and a lot of the VHS boxes say "SP 2 hrs, LP 4 hrs, EP 6 hrs", so I'm sure which one it is because all 3 of them are on the box. There is also so much variety in brand; Polaroid, Sony, Fuji, etc. if that makes any difference. Is there another way to figure it out?

What I do know is that none of these VHS tapes are S-VHS from what I can tell, all of them appear to just say VHS, no S-VHS.

6 of these tapes are from an acquaintance who wants me to digitize them and upload to YouTube. Capturing these tapes is my highest priority over all my other projects right now, so I am very invested in this. I actually uploaded a few basketball games to YouTube before that were recorded on VHS, so that is why they approached me. (I did this with the Elgato Video Capture, but I am no longer interested in using it due to the audio sync issues).

Quote:
Video8 and Hi8 (not 8mm, that's film) are actually easier to work with, though more drop-happy for dropped frames, so frame TBC even more essential here.
I have 14 Video8/Hi8 (some of them say 8mm Cassette on them, that's where that came from lol) tapes that are of family memories that I want to capture as well, but for now I'm full focused on the VHS tapes. I have a Sony camera that plays these.

Since you mentioned it due to my error, I have actually captured some old 8mm film before with the Wolverine 8mm & Super 8 Digital MovieMaker.

For the capture card, would you recommend a dedicated PC for capturing, regardless if it is USB or PCI? You mention XP & 7 are good, 10 and MacOS not so much. My main PC which I am using right now is using Windows 10.

I do see that you have some stuff for sale, including a premium workflow. I am interested if what you think what you have fits my needs.
01-26-2022, 02:26 AM
Premium Member

@Kyle00

The usb-live 2 I suggested is too variable, as LS explained. might be good, might be bad. And probably won't act nice with audio from your JVC without some "hacking"/workaround. If you have it already, unwrap it, give it shoot.

I have other technical hobbies, I joined servers about them to see what it looks like. Discord sucks for these. It's the best place to get bad advice.

Quote:
I now know that there two different types of TBC thanks to you. I wasn't even aware of this.
Always do your own research, someone in 2013 told me the same, I kept believing this until 2017-2018, never tried to verify. I missed on getting Frame TBC back when it was cheap, because of that bad advise. Also, I was also told ADVC devices are the best ever. I lost a year of my life writing avisynth scripts for videos to fix chroma bleeding from the DV conversion. It was not a good advice neither.
01-26-2022, 06:48 AM
Free Member

Quote:
The usb-live 2 I suggested is too variable, as LS explained. might be good, might be bad.
Never seen a proof of that. And I know many many owners of Hauppauge USB-Live 2. I may be lucky!

Quote:
And probably won't act nice with audio from your JVC without some "hacking"/workaround.
Same as above.

Quote:
If you have it already, unwrap it, give it shoot.
I agree: try it and post some sample here, we may help

Edit: if on Windows 10 use AmarecTV and not VirtualDub

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
01-26-2022, 06:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
Never seen a proof of that. And I know many many owners of Hauppauge USB-Live 2. I may be lucky!

Same as above.
Proof: I own it. It does not act nice with JVC audio... There is no reason I would bash a product if there is 0 proof. (search the forum for "hauppage audio clipping") I am under the impression that pre-2017 productions were all almost good, post 2017 vary a bit. I personally consider my usb-live2 good, but not great. You are lucky that yours work fine.
01-26-2022, 07:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

I have multiple Hauppauge cards, including multiple versions of models. Some of these cards are absolute trash. Some work fine in AmarecTV only, some with VirtualDub, some don't seem to work well with anything.

@lollo, I actually gave several of these cards more testing because of you. A few did perform decent after more testing, some didn't. So thanks for the nudge. You'll notice I'm no longer harsh on AmarecTV, though it still isn't my preference, and can act unstable with some hardware (more than VirtualDub).

sanlyn used to swear that VC500 was fine. But it wasn't. The reason? Production changes of a long-lived card.

Understand that I don't like this status quo, problem cards existing, but it is what it is.

01-26-2022, 07:13 AM
Free Member

Quote:
search the forum for "hauppage audio clipping")
I have the impression you are the only one to have audio problem. I may be wrong. Can you post an example?

The old hack was for Hauppauge PVR series.

Quote:
I am under the impression that pre-2017 productions were all almost good, post 2017 vary a bit.
Never seen a proof.

Quote:
I personally consider my usb-live2 good, but not great.
Can you post some sample of comparison between its capture and captures with other cards that you consider better? It will help a lot!

-- merged --

Quote:
You'll notice I'm no longer harsh on AmarecTV
It took me long time and many posts to get you convinced

Quote:
actually gave several of these cards more testing because of you.
Same as above.

Quote:
A few did perform decent after more testing, some didn't.
Evidences, please; post results, otherwise is just an "opinion"

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
01-26-2022, 07:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
Evidences, please; post results, otherwise is just an "opinion"
I took some samples for some tests, others not. This just isn't my priority right now. Health and family is. Then some mild work. Some hobby and R&D if time available. I'm not trying to "prove" anything to anybody, but simply share my exhaustive findings in quick summary form (what I do have time for).

01-26-2022, 07:42 AM
Free Member

Quote:
sanlyn used to swear that VC500 was fine
VC500 is very similar to Hauppauge USB-Live 2. And sanlyn was one of the more knowledgeable and expert members here and on Videohelp. Unfortunatly he does not write here and there anymore

Quote:
This just isn't my priority right now. Health and family is.
I understand and agree. Take care and all the best for you and the family!

The following users thank lollo2 for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-26-2022)