digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Project Planning, Workflows (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/)
-   -   What to buy with $1k budget, VHS-C to digital? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/12612-buy-1k-budget.html)

theitshow 03-10-2022 05:57 PM

What to buy with $1k budget, VHS-C to digital?

I am interested in transferring 30 VHS-C tapes of home videos to digital files. After reading some forms, it seems most gear (High end VCR, TBC) is beyond my budget of $1,000 to complete this project. While it would be nice to get the best quality possible, I am not sure its possible given my budget. But with the gear I already have, I figure I can make the ~$1,000 work well even if I dont get top quality. If anyone has any thoughts on what to purchase given this budget, I open to suggestions. Or if someone has a reputable company in the LA area they can suggest, then I am open to that as well. Here is the list of gear I have:

List of Gear:

PC Tower:
- Dual booted with Windows 10 & Ubuntu Linux
- 2 PCI-E ports available on the motherboard

VCR's:
Sony SLV-D350P - DVD/VHS Recorder
Panasonic DMR-ES30V - DVD/VHS Recorder

1x - VHS-C to VHS adapter

lordsmurf 03-11-2022 06:17 PM

Reputable in LA? Sadly, no, not aware of any. Lots of non-reputable, however! It's ironic how many awful transfer shops are in CA. I know ... but, but, Hollywood... ??? Doesn't matter.

Hmmm...

$1k already rules out almost all actual frame TBCs, so we'll circle back to this...

You need line TBC.

I don't know how helpful that ES30 is. I don't believe it has TBC(ish) passthrough, but would need to confirm.

At $1k, for the entire workflow, you're in eBay gambling territory. (Most of us that go to the extreme lengths to refurb VCRs are going to need most of that $1k for the VCR, maybe with capture card. Doesn't address frame TBC, however, need to expand budget.)

VHS-C is also a problem format. Most JVC like to eat those tapes, not just play them. So you don't want to use just any random VCR, nor any random VHS0C>VHS adapter. The CP7U type shell alone will be about $50, so already down to $950. Depends on the current adapter you have.

I'll have to ponder this more.

Win10 is a problem OS, but can be workable. But it fights you.
Linux is a no. Great OS for many things, our main non-video systems are based on Mint and Xubunty, but worthless for video capture.

theitshow 03-11-2022 06:40 PM

Yeah sort of surprising that Hollywood of all places wouldn't have anyone reputable. I was looking into CinePost as referenced in a different thread but we'll see.

Anyway, I agree that at the very least, line TBC will be needed. I may have to take a risk with Ebay gambling. There are a few JVC S-VHS with TBC for sale on there right now. Here are some models I'm currently looking at on there:

JVC SR-MV50 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/18533161187...gAAOSwzfBiKFuj
JVC HR-9911U - https://www.ebay.com/itm/22487061260...wAAOSwJwhiI7hr
JVC HR-S9500U - https://www.ebay.com/itm/16537812193...4AAOSw4qhiKp85 - This listing has pictures of the internals.

In regards to VHS-C adapter, I will have to look tonight and get back to you to verify the brand.

So my main concern with this project is just archiving family videos because I understand overtime these tapes deteriorate. I also think there is probably a limit to the quality I can get out of these tapes. These tapes were most likely filmed with whatever cameras Costco sold from '85 to '96. These are by no means professionally filmed tapes so I am sure there is a limit I will reach where no matter how much money I spend, the quality will not increase. But then again I am not an expert.

One last question. What is your opinion on the Hauppauge 610 listed on Amazon? While looking for VCR's, I'm also looking for capture devices as well.

hodgey 03-11-2022 07:02 PM

The ES30 is from the same lineup as the ES10, I believe it's mostly the same just with a built in vcr connected via composite internally. Not sure if I've seen any examples of testing that specific model for pass-through though two people in this thread found the follow-up version (es35) to stabilize video when passed through, so it's likely the ES30 works similarly. Would be useful to have some confirmation though, since you already have it you might as well give it a try once you pick up a new vcr (or happen to have access to a different one besides that Sony.)

Those Sony dvd-recorder combos are made by samsung afaik, have nothing in common with the standalone sony dvd-recorders, and if it's anything like the pal one I got they send everything through the internal digitizer which doesn't stabilize jitter anywhere near as good as the panasonics. (and thus prevents a tbc/dvd-recorder from improving things ) Also gives pop-up messages if the video signal is bad/missing. So, not all that useful.

lordsmurf 03-11-2022 07:29 PM

Those eBay decks are all being sold by recyclers, not owners that actually used the gear. Descriptions of "tested" and "working" are all nonsense. 100% pure gambling here, and for $$$. Each of those models has reasons to avoid, some fatal, irreparable. All are guaranteed to need maintenance. (DO NOT CLEAN WITH Q-TIPS!)

The 610 is a long lived model, internals vary, not a card that I suggest for that reason. Performance and reviews are mixed, for this reason.

Deterioration of the tape isn't as much a risk as ruining the tapes is bad gear, or just doing a rotten conversion job (ie, waste time, extra wear on tapes). Do it correctly, or not at all until time/funds can be allocated for a good job.

I know ES35V works, but ES30V is still suspect. Some ES models were terrible, and no strong+crippled line TBC on passthrough.

Don't rush, make bad choices. Plan your conversion more carefully. If you let cheapness rule, this will just ends in tears. I've seen that far too many times over the years.

theitshow 03-11-2022 07:40 PM

I totally understand. I think I'll skip these ebay purchases and wait a bit of time, browse the forums and maybe pick up a better VCR than what I currently have from someone on here. Also it will give me time to save up some more money for gear.

So I now know what to look for, for VCR's in regards to models etc. But I'm still confused on capture cards. The reason I brought up the 610 was this thread here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ti-wonder.html. Since my PC is new-ish, I'll probably have to go USB or PCI-E. So what card would be the best to compliment a JVC S-VHS with either line TBC or external TBC?

But I'll heed your advice for sure and take some time to pick up the proper gear rather than mediocre gear all at once. I have time to complete this and I am not in a rush.

lordsmurf 03-11-2022 07:45 PM

That thread needs updating. It's over 10 years old now, no updates for at least 5 years now. While much of the info is evergreen, things like production changes complicates it. Early cards are fine, newer ones not so much.

Some newbies get so over-excited, start buying stuff without putting in enough (or any) thought. Many ask for my advice, but then don't wait for my response, sometimes knee-jerk buying minutes after posting. It's really quite ridiculous sometimes. Avoiding that is a good 1st step! :)