Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-29-2022, 09:24 PM
Free Member

This is where I got my GV-USB2 from:

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B00428B...301_E_DDE_dt_1
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-30-2022, 12:24 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoanni View Post
this seemed like the best deal just quickly searching this morning.
Also, the Mitsubishi decks have issues with audio and non-SP mode playback, even when in top comdition. And the remotes are hard to come by, unlike JVC remotes, and the remote is required to access the menus (and you need to access those).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
This is where I got my GV-USB2 from: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B00428BF1Y
Amazon was my first stop.

The 3rd party sellers on Amazon are almost always the same sellers on eBay. However, Amazon is quicker to act against shill selling (ie, multiple user market manipulation), as well as counterfeits, which may be why the cards aren't available there at times (until the seller comes back with a new handle). A lot of 3rd party sellers send to Amazon warehouse for shipping, and only ship from there. The eBay listing prices are slightly higher, and the seller drop ships from Amazon.

Knowing what I do about capture cards, and the entire Chinese KO scene (video and others), I'm extremely wary of fake GV-USB2 cards. The feedback on these cards often mimics Easycaps. Like variable cards (VC500, early Elgato, Live2, etc), the feedback is very mixed. In the optical media market, that was the result of legit vs. fake media. So good+bad reviews is concerning. (Not just random good+bad, but details and commentary that are revealing, not user error, not false expectations. Not just Amazon reviews, but Reddit and others.) The audio complaints are especially damning, mostly prominent in the past few years only. It may contain known problem cheap reversed-engineered eMPIA audio.

What really gives me pause is why PAL lands favor these. Japan is NTSC-J, not PAL. China is PAL. In the optical media market, actual manufacturers would brand media for a locale, and then dump to home countries. So I really do wonder if the GV-USB2 is actually Chinese, branded/rebadged for Japan. The IRE would match for both, a concern of mine for North America NTSC. I can see a scenario where the GV-USB2 was early rebadged for Japan, then production changed cheap (now more Easycap-ish), sold cheap to USA and worldwide. This model card is not new (about 10 years old now), and we've seen this before when "new" cards keep being made, including actual "brand names" like Pinnacle and Hauppauge.

I just don't think I'm wrong about this card. Something is up.

I'm glad to hear that a couple of forum members enjoy their card, seem to have a positive experience. But I'm not 100% sure it's repeatable.

As has happened in the past, I have a strong feeling I'll eventually be proven correct here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-31-2022, 12:23 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Biggest red flag here is you're assuming the seller isn't lying, or an idiot, which is extremely likely.
Maybe, but that's why I only buy if they have a decent amount of ratings and returns accepted.

I also came across this
Seems to be in slightly nicer shape and from a more "official" seller. The price ends up being about the same too when taking shipping into consideration.
08-31-2022, 01:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

That's a recycler. You're looking at abandoned gear, resold by recyclers. They wouldn't know a TBC from a toaster, zero idea about how a VCR should properly work. Most people lose that gamble, and end up wasting immense amounts of time. Too many people have had return hassles (and lose return cases), or missed the return window, so also out lots of money. When you don't really know what you're doing capture-wise, 30 days just is not enough. Those decks can be good after maintenance, realignment, etc. But you probably don't have the skills for it. Or not, total junk decks.

Buying VCRs (and TBCs, and capture cards) used to be far different. Everything was made by reputable manufacturers, sold at places like B&H and Adorama. Now it's the wild west of shady gear, abused gear, etc. There's a reason that most camera gear buyers only buy used gear from places like KEH that specialize in used gear, or from fellow photographers at FredMiranda forums, not random people on eBay/etc (again, too many recyclers). Video gear has no KEH, and this site's marketplace is the forum.

Anyway, good luck to you. You'll need it.

I do everything I can to help others, to save them from themselves, but some people have to learn this the hard way. Or gamble that they'll luck out (some do, many more don't).

08-31-2022, 02:52 PM
Free Member

Quote:
...I also came across this [link removed]
Seems to be in slightly nicer shape and from a more "official" seller...
To put it uncharitably, that last link is "the town dump." Check their what appears to be their web site behind the ebay store.
https://www.wastecom.com/default.aspx

They accept electronic waste from citizens, and recycle it. If it powers up (e.g., lights light and no PBJs in the tape slot) they may try resell it, if not they probably grind it up. What you get is a real crap shoot. Or perhaps more like playing roulette and betting on a number (at least odd/even or red/black bets give you a ~48% chance.)

As a minimum, before buying try get them on the phone to determine what, if any testing they do, and get names. If it is within a reasonable drive, visit them if you can and try test it for your self. And missing parts can be a bummer - e.g., obscure remote controls.

Buying from auction sites only makes sense if you can afford the risk. Risk is somewhat mitigated if you have the technical skills needed to repair issues you may find and the time to go through the return for refund drill in the case of defective or miss-advertised stuff.
08-31-2022, 02:58 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
defective or miss-advertised stuff.
There is so, so much of this on eBay. I cannot stress it enough. Terms like "working" and "tested" are complete BS. It's actually not any different from buying a VCR from a beggar on the street corner, something he found behind the building in the dumpster.

Literally, seriously.
Not exaggerating here.

08-31-2022, 08:13 PM
Free Member

What about VCRSHOP?
08-31-2022, 09:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
What about VCRSHOP?
For the KEH comparison, I was referring to NTSC here (since OP is NTSC).
For PAL, yes, VCRshop.nl is your guy for VCRs.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Hushpower (08-31-2022)
09-01-2022, 07:55 AM
Free Member

I wish B&H still carried the relevant gear. Who knew back in the day this stuff would be so sought after?
Do you have any suggestions for NA shops?
09-01-2022, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

lordsmurf! lordsmurf! lordsmurf!

Ahhh...I can smell those smurfbucks coming to me!
09-01-2022, 04:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoanni View Post
Do you have any suggestions for NA shops?
There are none. This is why I sell decks in the marketplace forum here.

Once upon a time, TGrant was recommended, but then seemingly all the decks he sold started to break, and pissed off most owners. (One of his repairs was apparently so bad that Deter rejected it as possibly irreparable.)

If you're looking for "a store", you're SOL, it's just reputable individuals out there now. Even VCRshop is mostly just Branko selling online, not really "a store" that I'm aware of (at most, 1 employee?). We're talking legacy gear, it's not a viable business model.

Southern Advantage sells all sorts of items, and for VCRs they stock a lot of crap. Most of it is both more expensive and lesser quality (according to buyers, as per PMs, as per threads here), compared to what I have, even what TGrant had.

Don't get into that weird "I only buy new" and "I only buy from stores" mindset. Stores don't give a rat's ass about video quality. They sell stuff, good or bad. They care about the money, everything else be damned. Members of the video community, by contrast, watch after each other. We want others to get good gear, avoid crap. Use good services, avoid quacks.

Avoid buying VCRs from anybody in Houston. There's a scammer there, possibly a scam ring, pathetic attitude. He operates under at least a dozen different names. There's an entire thread in the forum dedicated to his BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
lordsmurf! lordsmurf! lordsmurf!
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!