digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Project Planning, Workflows (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/)
-   -   Will frame TBC fix interlace jitter? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/12954-frame-tbc-fix.html)

MilesGT 09-04-2022 08:40 PM

Will frame TBC fix interlace jitter?

3 Attachment(s)
Doing some test captures here, still waiting on more equipment. This is a Video8 capture, 3 frames, with the middle frame (150) being the problem frame capture.

I assume there is a "sync error" in that frame with the way the lines are interlacing improperly? Looking to understand what has happened there, and if a frame TBC would correct those kinds of things. If a frame TBC doesn't help that, anything else that does?

latreche34 09-04-2022 08:46 PM

Frame TBC cannot fix interlacing errors, it could help fix the field jump. Line TBC can fix line jitter commonly referred to as mouse teeth or comb teeth, uneven or un-aligned scan lines.

lordsmurf 09-04-2022 10:59 PM

Frame TBC actually can correct interlacing issues, but it depends on factors.

That specific issues looks to be layman "jitter" (vertical bouncing, not to be confused with jargon "jitter"), and that kind of bounce/jitter is due to missing lines. Sometimes frame TBC will correct this, and not jitter. Again, it depends on factors. Certain TBCs are better known to excel here, or fail. DataVideo tends to be better at it, but it also depends on the exact chips and revision of the board/chipset.

Frame TBC is not really for image correction, but rather preventing image/signal failure. So it's hard to demonstrate a negative, and hard to find samples. When you see bad video, it's easy to show before/after when corrected. But when you're trying to find where good video can become bad, not so easy. Sometimes it's not visual, but audio, frame, and other errors, still not visual.

I understand you want to "see" something, but it's like trying to "prove" that we need oxygen. It's not really something that can easily be made visual.

MilesGT 09-04-2022 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 86694)
Frame TBC actually can correct interlacing issues, but it depends on factors.

That specific issues looks to be layman "jitter" (vertical bouncing, not to be confused with jargon "jitter"), and that kind of bounce/jitter is due to missing lines. Sometimes frame TBC will correct this, and not jitter. Again, it depends on factors. Certain TBCs are better known to excel here, or fail. DataVideo tends to be better at it, but it also depends on the exact chips and revision of the board/chipset.

Frame TBC is not really for image correction, but rather preventing image/signal failure. So it's hard to demonstrate a negative, and hard to find samples. When you see bad video, it's easy to show before/after when corrected. But when you're trying to find where good video can become bad, not so easy. Sometimes it's not visual, but audio, frame, and other errors, still not visual.

I understand you want to "see" something, but it's like trying to "prove" that we need oxygen. It's not really something that can easily be made visual.

Thanks! Interestingly enough, I took several captures. One at XP and one at SP mode (on the ES-10) with the TBC On the camera, and the same jump happened on the same frame, but when I turned TBC off on the camera, I did NOT see it. Wonder if the Line TBC of both the camera and ES-10 were interferring with each other, or maybe the ES-10 was acting as a better line TBC than the camera itself? Won't know until all the capture equipment comes in.

I don't know, if I cover someone's mouth and they turn blue, I'll see the results :P But yes, I get what you are saying.

traal 09-04-2022 11:07 PM

Some solutions for this kind of error are explained here.