Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Free Member

I hope you don't mind me contacting you via email. I have been following your posts concerning VHS capture and conversion for several months.

I'm an old concert promoter with a couple boxes of VHS tape concert footage from the '80s that I was hoping to convert to digital before it's too late.

My skills are rudimentary and I'm kind of forum shy, so I have been trying to this on my own following your and other posters advice.

I'm having real hard time finding proper equipment and I was hoping I could tap into your knowledge and resource to help me out. I have a nice Panasonic AG1980 that works very well, but I'm having a difficult time finding a good TBC and Proc Amp/Video Enhancer.

In January I got stiffed on a Microtime TX4 TBC from a guy in Minnesota on Craig's List, it would not power up and he would not take it back. This week I received a Hotronic AP41 from a purchase on eBay, but the person misled me into thinking it had s-video (y/c) out while it only had BNC out. So I returned it.

I was hoping perhaps you might have a good TBC and a Proc Amp/Video Enhancer for sale or maybe point me in the right direction to purchase those items.

Thank you in advance, and have a nice day.
PS. I just emailed a place in Poland regarding an Edirol VMC-1. Is that a
unit you would recommend?'

I'm almost at my wits end, and I don't want to get completely discouraged and put the tapes back in the closet for good.

Not only can others use the info, but perhaps offer suggestions as well.

I mean no disrespect and I don't want to paint all of the sellers on
eBay/Kijij/Craig's List with the same brush, but it seems like allot of
'gilded turds are being marketed as solid gold'

Here is the link for the Polish VMC-1.
http://www.sklepmuzyczny.pl/sklepmuz...0,id,7530.html

...Also I'm not the richest guy, but I don't mind paying top dollar for top shelf stuff. ie. ELITE VIDEO BVP-4

OK! one more then I wont bug you...
This my capture rig.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01185446
my current capture card.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/pctv/...i-express.aspx
perhaps my next capture card?
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
I hope you don't mind me contacting you via email. I have been following your posts concerning VHS capture and conversion for several months.
Well, there's a lot of them out there, on several sites. You've surely had a lot to read!

Quote:
I'm an old concert promoter with a couple boxes of VHS tape concert footage from the '80s that I was hoping to convert to digital before it's too late.
That's probably some decent source, likely being from a camera, instead of the normal multi-gen bootleg crap a lot of people try to convert to DVD. I'm sure you'll end up with some great DVDs, given the right equipment, and a good workflow. Which is surely why you're here...

Quote:
before it's too late
I just want to go back to this real quick --
Now is a good time to start converting. DO NOT RUSH through this. Unlike some of the boogeyman bullcrap myths I see online -- especially at some of those quack service sites (FOR SHAME!) -- your videos are not dying on the shelf. That's just silly. But they are aging, and transferring them before damage happens is great.

... Assuming that shelf is inside a temperature-controlled house/office, and not stored in an attic or garage. That's a different matter entirely.

Quote:
My skills are rudimentary and I'm kind of forum shy, so I have been trying to this on my own following your and other posters advice.
Ah, c'mon. Pick a name and join in. This isn't one pf those nutty "real name" forums. Clients/members want privacy, and you'll surely have it with a username.

Quote:
I'm having real hard time finding proper equipment and I was hoping I could tap into your knowledge and resource to help me out. I have a nice Panasonic AG1980 that works very well, but I'm having a difficult time finding a good TBC and Proc Amp/Video Enhancer.
Good VCR. With older 80s tapes, this can be a great model.
Now let's help you with the TBC and proc amp.

Assuming you have ~$500 (plus some shipping costs) for this, buy these:
You won't really find better equipment. That proc amp is a steal -- grab it if you want a good one. NOW!

The TBC is one of several options, but this is the best one AND at the lowest price --- excluding all the old/ancient beat-up crap on auctions, which leads us to the next piece of your email...

Quote:
In January I got stiffed on a Microtime TX4 TBC from a guy in Minnesota on Craig's List, it would not power up and he would not take it back. This week I received a Hotronic AP41 from a purchase on eBay, but the person misled me into thinking it had s-video (y/c) out while it only had BNC out. So I returned it.
Yeah, that happens a lot with old VCRs and TBCs.

There was a great joke on Big Bang Theory in season one (I was watching the box set recently), where Raj finds a broken iPod on the street (Penny threw it out the window only moments before). When asked what he'd do with the broken iPod, he said "What else? Put it for sale on eBay as 'slightly used'!" --- and that's sadly based on reality.

Most of the time, it's called "as is" or "untested" on an auction because it's known broken crap. Many of these items -- especially old S-VHS decks from the 80s, and TBCs from the 80s-90s -- are beat to hell from high use in studios, or poor handling by students in college labs.

Concerning the BNC issue -- some TBCs actually work well, even with lack of s-video. But those are far and few between. A good older BNC TBC was recently traded from this site's marketplace, a pretty rare DPS-220 model.

Quote:
I was hoping perhaps you might have a good TBC and a Proc Amp/Video Enhancer for sale or maybe point me in the right direction to purchase those items.
Not me, but the aforementioned used proc amp should work!
I was offered an AVT-8710 for $150 last month, but it's also been sold. It's not often somebody sells these kinds of goodies.

Quote:
Thank you in advance, and have a nice day.
PS. I just emailed a place in Poland regarding an Edirol VMC-1. Is that a
unit you would recommend?'
Is this unit still available? I'd wanted to look at one in years past, but could never get my hands on one. I'm also under the impression that it may be PAL only. It's at least 5 years old. Not that age has anything to do with quality, but it surely determines availability!

Edirol has some good audio products too, but were often too unavailable or too costly. I settled for Behringer and Mackie gear (and their sub-brands, like Tapco) -- far easier to get, and somewhat cheaper.

Quote:
I'm almost at my wits end, and I don't want to get completely discouraged and put the tapes back in the closet for good.
No way, you'll get a good answer, and I'll help you get going with this project.

Quote:
Not only can others use the info, but perhaps offer suggestions as well.
Indeed, several members here are very skilled at this stuff.

Quote:
I mean no disrespect and I don't want to paint all of the sellers on
eBay/Kijij/Craig's List with the same brush, but it seems like allot of
'gilded turds are being marketed as solid gold'.
Paint them? Forget that. Many sellers need to be beat within an inch of their life. A brush would probably work. Or a shovel -- the same one used to dig up that garbage they sell.

Quote:
Here is the link for the Polish VMC-1.
http://www.sklepmuzyczny.pl/sklepmuz...0,id,7530.html
It claims NTSC + PAL, so maybe it does. (Or maybe the description is wrong.) What the price? Will you actually be able to get one? Will it come with an eastern European power supply? (Meaning you can't plug it up to North American 110V power.)

Of course, I keep assuming you're in the USA. Where are you?

Quote:
...Also I'm not the richest guy, but I don't mind paying top dollar for top shelf stuff. ie. ELITE VIDEO BVP-4
I really like the BVP-4, but a good unit tends to run at least $250, sometimes up to $400. And conditions can vary. I almost think the SignVideo proc amp would be a better buy if you want a "sure thing" and you want it now. Locating a BVP4+ in good condition can take a few months of daily eBay browsing. Right now, I see ONE -- just one -- on eBay, starting bid of $200 with 8 days left. I see that possibly fetching $325 or more, honestly.

The BVP4+ has many more controls and options than the SignVideo, but you'll just need to decide on what you really need.

I like having them both.

Quote:
OK! one more then I wont bug you...
This my capture rig.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01185446
my current capture card.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/pctv/...i-express.aspx
perhaps my next capture card?
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
Computers looks fine.
That ATI card will do high bitrate MPEG-2 okay, or DVD-ready MPEG-2 okay.

The Blackmagic is a popular card -- it really came out of nowhere, too -- but it's not without it's drawbacks and problems. I still prefer the older ATI All In Wonder Radeon AGP cards -- which is why I still have 4 AGP systems creaking along. These are relegated to doing capturing only, pretty much. Transfer files to the new dual-cores and quad-cores for editing work, across a gigabit network.

When AGP slots are no longer an option, however, you have to choose what is available.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

For the BVP4 vs SignVideo PA-100, I'd mention that you tend to use the same 4 controls on the BVP4+ --- the only 4 controls found on the SignVideo unit.

The extra BVP4 controls are mostly for detailed fine-tuning of color shifting. It's something I use maybe once every 20 or so tapes. It's very powerful -- usually too powerful.

So you'll be covered for most tapes using either unit. The SignVideo has the added advantage of the meter.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Free Member

Thank you. OK! I’ll man up. It is I who sent you the email looking for help. I was reluctant to log on because I don’t have very good luck on forums.

The tapes are for the most part first generation and in pretty good shape, what’s on them varies a bit quality wise. The sources differ but mostly pro/consumer camera hand held and tripod, and on occasion multi camera.

This is not main stream, I booked primarily Ska, Punk, Reggae, Alternative (whatever that means) and pretty much anything that wasn’t on the radar for 20 years. Some 3000 shows produced, I wish I had taped them all.

I’m not in a big hurry to get it done and I surely will take my time doing it, but like I’ve read on the posts the important thing is to get the video stream right going in.

The computer is OK, I got it at the pawn shop for $150 and all it does is video. This is my second ATI card, and I’ve had good luck with them. The only problem with the ATI is it won’t let me capture with Virtual Dub. Do you think I need a better card?

OK! Ill take the SignVideo proc amp, I’ll contact Rob right away.

…and you recommend the AVT-8710?

Canuk.
02-27-2010, 06:16 PM

For the handheld work, if you REALLY REALLY want to get into restoring, you can de-shake it. Now, it's not as easy as some of the info online makes it seems, but it can be done. I just finished a project here for a customer, and it came out awesome. When the date is on-screen, you see it dance around -- instead of the other way around!

This exact ATI card you have is one of the modern-style "PVR cards" that was made to record TV. Many PVR cards won't even record analog input, do it poorly, or can only do it direct to DVD or Youtube settings. Luckily, the ATI Catalyst software that works with your card can do a high bitrate MPEG-2, and that will suffice for editing.

A guide for this is forthcoming, I promise. The new digitalFAQ will launch soon, and it's early on the updates list for new guides and reviews. For what you want to do, I think you're going to be okay. There are some better cards, and a lot of worse cards. You won't use VirtualDub for capturing, but you'll surely find it useful for restoring video!

Yep, AVT-8710 from B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166
That's the one to get. It will purify the signal, and you won't get false errors (picture/color flicker) or those "copyright warnings" from a capture card or DVD recorder.
The TBC in the AG1980P VCR will clean the image.
You should read the 3rd post here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...8710-1853.html
That information is a preview of a new guide, too.

Be sure you have all your computer and video equipment on a good UPS (battery-backed surge protector). You can buy local, or get one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957
(Amazon probably cheapest.) APC suggested, Cyberpower not.
And, of course, use the battery outlets. Save the non-battery outlets for cell phone chargers, speakers, and other cheapo stuff.

Use good s-video cables.

Keep everything well cooled, don't stack all the devices. I bought some rubber "doorstops" that you stick to walls, but stuck them on the bottoms of VCRs, etc -- keeps everything spaced well.

The AVT-8710 doesn't have a power switch. Just unplug the cable from the unit when not in use, or use a cheap "surge strip" and just use it as a power switch.

Don't overclean the VCR. Seen a lot of posts on sites where people ruined the ferrite heads. Not sure why, but 2010 is turning into the year of "I cleaned my VCR to death".

I have a PAL/SECAM multi-system VCR for sale, if interested.

Since this is music, consider an audio board to adjust gain/levels/EQ on the audio, between VCR and capture card. It's nothing uber-special, but even this Mackie mixer would be really good at improving audio. Only $60 fom Amazon, hard to argue that price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000J5XS3C

Being an audio producer, you may already have some fancy boards (including ones that would make mine look like kiddie toys).

Okay, I think that's everything, for now.

02-27-2010, 06:40 PM

Wanted to also add this:

If you find this site useful, please consider upgrading to a Premium Membership. It's how we're able to keep the site up and running, and spend time in there answering questions.

Premium Members get perks. Currently, your questions take priority, and you can submit samples (audio or video files) if you need some special advice on filters. Your answers also tend to be longer and more detailed, for Premium Members. As time goes by, more Premium-only advantages will be added and spelled out.

Consider joining at the $20 level (currently a one-time, 3-year membership fee)

More info: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...emium-321.html

02-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Free Member

Thank you very much LS and admin, for all the help and information. I will certainly contribute to a good cause like this.

I will come back to you for advice to de-shake the video.

I did not mean to question your advice on suggesting the AVT-8710, I had a peak at it online when I first started looking and thought it looked kind of plastic. I did not know…

Thank you for the advice on the battery-backed surge protector, it is easy to over look the obvious. Would this one be adequate?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...9826&CatId=233

Do you recommend any specific s-video cables? Does cable length matter? Is it OK to go through an s-video distribution box?

I am very leery to over clean my VCR, I leave it alone unless I notice something then I play a brand new blank tape for an hour and back to normal.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what would I do with a PAL/SECAM multi-system VCR?

Perhaps I should have been more clear, while I’ve done everything from humping gear and wrapping cable to mixing sound and lights. I was more of a promoter than a technician.

I do have a couple of little audio mixers, but I found that an inline attenuator does a great job. I use a 12bd pad from Rothwell. http://www.rothwellelectronics.co.uk...tenuators.html.

Here are a couple screenshots of about or below average quality:

sclip977.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

...and a little private torrent sample of GI's: These Boots Were Made For Walking live. Straight in, no filter, no pads, just AG1980 and capture card.
I'll leave it up for a bit.

02-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Free Member

Sorry... I should of had my coffee first. I tried to edit the post and remove the link. I wasn't sure about proper protocol?

The previous post is the video I tried to fix with software filters. That's when I decided I needed help.

This video is second or third generation.

Tripod.
playlist1002.jpg

Hand held.
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

My intentions are strictly none commercial, just backing up for posterity and because I'm getting old and memories are fading.

02-28-2010, 08:31 PM

Questioning is good. The AVT-8710 is indeed plastic, and it doesn't work well after being on for hours and hours on end. For best performance, turn it off every 6-8 hours, and let it cool down. It's not a pro model aimed at non-stop 24/7 daily studio use, but it works well for most everything else. The model has been discussed in-depth at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...33&postcount=5 and includes concerns about heating, etc

Every now and then, the image will checkerboard on you -- or similar erratic behavior, causing an ugly or unstable signal. It doesn't happen during use, but rather between use -- usually on a VCR blue screen or VCR menu. The signals for these screens on VCRs can be erratic, and it seems to interfere with the signal-switching sensibility of the AVT-8710. Just unplug it, and plug it back in -- problem solved. I've never seen it, or seen it reported, that it would do this while filtering a tape.

ImgShack is sometimes slow, and they delete images after a while. For the speed and archive quality of this site, always attach images/etc to the posts. Instructions for this are at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...ages-1529.html -- link is at the top of any forum page, one of the 3 notices on all pages. I fixed your above 2 posts.

When it comes to a UPS, be mindful of the wattage it can handle. A computer itself often has a 300-500W power supply. It spikes when the system is first turned on, but actual consumption varies on the gear inside the system (number of hard drives, optical drives, power of graphics card, etc). You can usually guess 50% of a rating (i.e., your 400W supply probably uses 200W most of the time). TV, VCR, etc -- use is written on the back. In the USA, it's there by law. Canada probably has similar laws. Guessing you're in Canada, given the TigerDirect.ca link. Add up everything you want to plug into it, and then be sure it can pass enough juice. You don't want to overload it. And the more you load it down, the less battery time it has. I use at least 6 large units here -- between 30-60 minutes of power, depending on what's turned on. The better units kamikaze themselves, to save your attached gear -- cheap ones pass the zaps!

If you do order from TigerDirect.ca -- or any number of places -- please support this site by using our referral links. Prices are the same for you, but the company shares a tiny sliver of the profit with us -- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...-com-1528.html -- and this link is also found at the top of any forum page, being another of the Notices.

Don't use a distribution amp, no, degrades signal.

A 2-3 foot s-video cable is best, try to not go longer. Any cable honestly works for s-video, even the cheap ones. if the signal looks degraded AT ALL, throw the wire in the trash, and get another one. Even if it just does it "sometimes", trash the bad wire. You do run across bad wires, and they do break down with age.

PAL and SECAM are video formats (for tapes) used outside the USA. If you had a British tape, for example, you'd need a PAL VCR.

I'd still put a mixer ahead of an attenuator, in terms of usefulness. As with anything else, you should do what looks/sounds best. I don't believe in dogma, I believe in quality.

First group of attached images shows soft video -- or an image of a video that was made soft by whatever tool you used to make a screen cap. I suggest using VirtualDub for the best screen caps. Using the VirtualDub MPEG+filters version found on this site, you can load your MPEG (or most other) files, and then go to VIDEO and "copy source frame to clipboard". Paste in any graphics program, save as a good 24-bit PNG or high quality JPEG. Paint works, but I prefer Photoshop or something more advanced with Paint. But you use the tools you have, right?

I removed the the torrent link, since it's meant to stay private. We've got it, thanks. Will download torrent in a bit.

The above videos in that second post are really dark, but a proc amp and detail will help. Further work can be done in Virtual, either with levels + hue/sat, or a mix of deinterlacing (Yadif) + colormill. Maybe some Median, if needed.

03-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Free Member

Thank you. I feel I may be in over head and this is a humbling experience because all of this information is a bit overwhelming. For my benefit I’ll stick to one or two queries per posting.

I’m not a really a computer person, I stumbled onto it after I crushed c-3 to c-7. I suffer chronic pain and found working with video therapeutic. I started making little video clips for games like Blitzkrieg and its spin-offs, and now I want to take it to the next level. (I used Rad Game Tools to make the screen shots) http://www.radgametools.com/

What should be plugged exclusively into the battery backed power supply so I can add up the wattage? I currently have 2 computers, 2 monitors, Panasonic AG1980, Marantz 1070, Motorola VIP 1200 plugged into this cheaper surge protector. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...652&CatId=5314

OK! I’ll use the referral links. I try to buy in my home country when possible, because UPS gouges you 20% or more for unnecessary brokerage fees.
03-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Yes, these workflow threads tend to be short, because you can have info overload easily. But it's a good place to start. For the narrower topics, start new threads in areas specific to that sub-topic (capturing, restoring, etc) in the other video forums.
Main DVD project forums: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/foru...ct-help-9.html

I'm not a "computer person" either. A computer is just like the VCR, TV or a camera to me -- another electronic tool. Yeah, I do know more about this tool than many folks, but I still reject "computer person". That's too techie/IT, and I'm a media person that just uses tech. I am fully disinterested in some of the crap that impresses IT folks.

You may need more than 1 UPS. That VCR needs to be on one. Don't even use it without it being on a UPS. The AG-1980 power supply is fragile and fickle, and a tiny sneeze from your electric could zap it to death. Or worse, cause you to replace that hard-as-hell-to-access fuse inside. Or the worst: make you replace damaged capacitors on the board. Ewww... not my favorite task.

Ideally, computer gear on one, video gear on another. If one has more than the other, balance as needed. It's just an issue of math, adding it all up, then dividing by two.

We affiliate with several Canadian stores:
Our view of the world is borderless. Media has no borders.
Links separated by categories: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...-com-1528.html

03-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Free Member

Thank you. Sorry I did not mean to call you a computer person…

OK! Now I have the APC UPS to protect my equipment and data, I also have a SignVideo proc amp en route.

“Don't use a distribution amp, no, degrades signal.”

This poses a bit of a problem. I only have one s-video input on my capture card and I capture way more from the TV box than from the VCR. I do not like plug and unplug the s-video cable because I’m afraid of damaging the connections on the Cap Card/VCR/TV BOX.

Can I use an s-video splitter, or a break out block? Or do I need a separate capture card?

How does the work flow go? VCR>TBC>Proc Amp> Capture Card?

Should I wait till a used Datavideo TBC-1000 comes around, and use it for distribution?

Last edited by privategomer; 03-04-2010 at 11:27 AM.
03-04-2010, 08:49 PM

No need to say sorry. It's just something I point out.

Honestly, I suggest the unplug/replug method. I do that here. Just be gentle and slow with it, and you won't have problems.

The distribution amp in the TBC-1000 is very good. It probably accounts for $100-200 worth of the unit's cost. So if you have a similarly-priced distro amp, then yours may be okay. The problem with most of those low-cost amps is that they're more like cheap "splitters" than powered distribution+amplification.

Some capture cards have break-out boxes, some do not. The ATI All In Wonder AGP Radeon cards, for example, have a purple "dongle" breakout. In fact, I'd have to say most cards have an external doo-dad of some kind, were you actually plug in wires. Only a few of them go directly into cards.

VCR to TBC to proc amp to capture card -- CORRECT! You've got it. You usually want the standalone TBC as soon after the VCR as possible, so it passes clean signals to everything else down the line.

03-06-2010, 05:34 PM

Something happened to the server this morning, a few posts were lost. Copy/paste from email alert...

Quote:
-- Thank you.

Sorry to labor the s-video connection issue, but one of my Panasonics already has a bad s-video connection. It causes wavy rainbow artifacts, while the BNC and Coaxial connections are fine.

You are defiantly correct about cheap distribution amps, because I have a cheaper component distribution amp for my TV and I can see the picture quality is affected.

My last ATI card had a ‘purple dongle’, but this one I made a mistake when ordering because the PCI Express card did not come with a break out block.

I may have found a lightly used Datavideo TBC-1000, and was wondering if there was anything I should made be aware of? How long do they last? Are there moving parts? Can I run my TV box through it?

Do you recommend any specific software for mpeg capture?

May I continue to ask more questions here? Or start new threads?

03-06-2010, 05:57 PM

No moving parts in the TBC-1000. Some of the units have been known to slightly soften the video more than normal. By default, a TBC will alter resolution a tad, because that's just how a TBC works. I'll spare you the technical tidbits -- it's been written about before in the forum, although I don't recall the exact post.

The ATI 650 capture cards -- both PCI and the USB2 sticks -- can do quite well at MPEG capture, all the way from DVD-Video compliant capturing, up to an I-frame only high bitrate MPEG-2 capture. I'm actually plannin to do some guide son it soon, using the Catalyst software. Those work fine in Windows Vista (and maybe Windows 7, not sure).

The "project planning" forum is really to get you going with the full process. Once you start to realize the individual questions, it's time to start new threads in the proper video sub-forums, be it about capturing, authoring, etc --- it's easy to discuss things piece by piece, sometimes. The "project workflow" topics are rarely all that long, for this reason.

-- merged --

It was just now brought to my attention that the ATI 650 cards, both PCI and USB2 versions, are able to capture uncompressed or lossless AVI through VirtualDub.

I need to write that guide soon.

03-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Free Member

Thank you, I hope you don’t mind me asking many questions about the TBC’s because it looks like it’s going to be the most expensive item in my whole setup. Including the computer, monitor, 2x AG1980 and rest of the stuff.

Unfortunately my ATI cards have never been able to capture via VirtualDub. My old card would give me a “can’t find capture device error”, and my new card finds the capture device and looks fine during preview. However the minute I hit capture my computer will spazz out.

“ATI appears to be shipping their current devices with a WDM (Windows Driver Model) driver only; this can be used indirectly by VirtualDub through a Microsoft wrapper, but it is crippled in functionality and it also appears that the wrapper is buggy. The wrapper will show up as "Microsoft WDM Image Capture (Win32)." If it works for you, great.”
http://www.virtualdub.org/docs_capture.html

I know allot of people have complaints about the software, but I have been using the Pinnacle Studio line for years (except Studio 10) with what I think are great results. I use it just for capture, then I use TMPGEnc to edit and encode. May I ask your opinion of the suitability of that software and or options?
03-08-2010, 10:47 AM

I was able to capture some video with a ATI 600 USB2 stick over the weekend, as lossless HuffYUV AVI in VirtualDub.

I'll look over your posts again, and get back to you soon.

03-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Free Member

Thank you. Never a hurry and I appreciate all the help.

Here is my attempt to explain ‘spazz out’. I was a bit wrong it has the same problem during preview. What it does is cause about 3-4 inches of static across the full VDub interface and also across the full desktop and the whole screen pulses or spasms. You can actually see the frames dropping and within seconds the audio is way out of sync.

Now this is the part that had me all confused and fearing ghosts in the machine. After I capture the jittery video with VDub and close down everything, I try to play the captured video file and it doe the exact same thing VDub does. Bars of static across whole monitor, pulsing or spasms, dropped frames and audio out sync.

VDub_test.jpg

03-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
That sounds like one of these problems:
  • a driver error -- user newer/older/different card driver
  • card defect, damaged hardware
  • heat issue, card overheating, maybe led to card damage

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Free Member

Thank you. How would I diagnose driver defect/damage/heat etc.

No disrespect but I should probably just stick with what works for me, VDub is a bit too complicated and slow.