digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Project Planning, Workflows (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/)
-   -   Do I lose PQ advantage switching signal from s-video to RCA in signal path ? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/3816-lose-pq-advantage.html)

Mejnour 01-11-2012 09:05 PM

Do I lose PQ advantage switching signal from s-video to RCA in signal path ?

Hello,

Reality tell me that PAL pros amp and image enhancer are hard to find and with S-video :(

Do I lost "more" if I decide to use pros amp that have only RCA output/input vs not using them but keeping the signal from the VCR in S-video cable till capture?

I have strange question :confused::D

Regards

lordsmurf 01-11-2012 09:41 PM

It's not a strange question at all. In fact, it's quite intelligent to consider this. :)

Yes, you usually lose picture quality by switching to a composite signal ("RCA") instead of leaving luma/chroma separated. Remember that s-video stands for "separated video", and not "super video" or "SVHS video" like some people mistakenly believe. Leaving the signals separated prevents crosstalk noise, such as dot crawl, or increased chroma noise and color bleeding. Cramming all the video into a single signal is inferior. That's why coax is lousy (all audio + video) compared to RCA/composite (RCA red/white for audio + composite yellow for video), and again why both are inferior to s-video. S-video is further inferior to component ("RGB", or more accurately: luma, chroma-R and chroma-B), because the chroma signals are separated in component.

Try to use the best path as often as possible.

Sometimes composite in a workflow is unavoidable, due to conditions on the tape, or with other hardware in the workflows. In those cases, make the best of it. Using intermediate VCRs can also help, using them as 3D Y/C comb filters, to denoise/purify (decrapify) the composite signal.

As with a lot of things video, there's no direct answer: "Yes, do this." or "No, do that."
It really just depends on the situation.

Mejnour 01-11-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 18874)
It's not a strange question at all. In fact, it's quite intelligent to consider this. :)

Yes, you usually lose picture quality by switching to a composite signal ("RCA") instead of leaving luma/chroma separated. Remember that s-video stands for "separated video", and not "super video" or "SVHS video" like some people mistakenly believe. Leaving the signals separated prevents crosstalk noise, such as dot crawl, or increased chroma noise and color bleeding. Cramming all the video into a single signal is inferior. That's why coax is lousy (all audio + video) compared to RCA/composite (RCA red/white for audio + composite yellow for video), and again why both are inferior to s-video. S-video is further inferior to component ("RGB", or more accurately: luma, chroma-R and chroma-B), because the chroma signals are separated in component.

Try to use the best path as often as possible.

Sometimes composite in a workflow is unavoidable, due to conditions on the tape, or with other hardware in the workflows. In those cases, make the best of it. Using intermediate VCRs can also help, using them as 3D Y/C comb filters, to denoise/purify (decrapify) the composite signal.

As with a lot of things video, there's no direct answer: "Yes, do this." or "No, do that."
It really just depends on the situation.

Thanks lordsmurf,

Since I got you on the hook:D

Can you tell me if I may have more IQ from a S9600EU vs S7600EK, I mean that I know that dynamic drum is not in the 7xxx serie but since you warned me about filters (9500 vs 9600), I don't want a yes or no answer but more you feeling about it...

NJRoadfan 01-11-2012 10:39 PM

The NTSC HR-S7600U has the dynamic drum, don't know if that is the case with the PAL versions. The 7600U is basically a 9600U with 2MB DigiPure (vs. the 4MB found in the 9600). JVC stripped down the 7800U and later 7xxx models.

lordsmurf 02-01-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mejnour (Post 18875)
Thanks lordsmurf, Since I got you on the hook
Can you tell me if I may have more IQ from a S9600EU vs S7600EK,
I don't want a yes or no answer but more you feeling about it...

I feel that the 7x00 and 9x00 function and look more or less the same. The SR-V10U is based on the 7900, and I've seen issues with mono audio (clicking in audio) that isn't present on the 9600-9900 decks. Then again, the same tape works fine in other SR-V10 decks, so I don't know.

Video is fickle. :2cents:

I'd have no problems using a 7600 or 9600 -- both work for me.