Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-11-2014, 12:27 AM
Free Member

i'm transferring my sites from hostgator to either arvixe or inmotion hosting

i would start with their shared host. which one is better in terms of speed, reliability and support?

and the $300 free ad credit offered by inmotion hosting, is it available everywhere? because the ad credits offered by arvixe is only available to US & canada only.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Free Member

Can you tell us more about your sites and what problems you're experiencing currently? It's hard to make a recommendation without know more information.
03-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Free Member

well for a start, hostgator's support is too slow. secondly when my site is busy, hostgator will display some pages on my site as 'not found' or sometimes it will display 'too much mysql connection'

so i just need a new hosting which is pretty reliable and cheap. i want to start with shared hosting, and when the traffic on my site grows (i hope ), i can upgrade my hosting package to something better (either to semi dedicated or vps) on the same host seamlessly, without any downtime on my site

my site is www.myfinancex.com, it's a financial planning tool site - i'm currently redeveloping the site from ground up, but the basic features of the site is pretty much the same.

i don't need any hosting that's good with wordpress or any e-commerce site or any cms. while most shared hosting allows only 25 mysql connection concurrently, i read somewhere that arvixe doesn't have this limitation, but i don't know about inmotion hosting.

so from my research, i'm down to three choices: arvixe, inmotion or mdd hosting
03-11-2014, 12:15 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by imin View Post
which one is better in terms of speed, reliability and support?
Right now, I'm not overly impressed with Arvixe support speeds. The support quality is there, but not the speed. It had been better for years now -- even just 6-8 weeks ago, it was fine. I'm not sure what's going on there, but hopefully it gets peppy again soon. They've slipped behind Site5.com in the updated rankings as a result.

In the meantime, I'd suggest Site5, Glowhost or WebhostingBuzz for top support speeds, for unlimited shared hosts. Both of those have been very good lately (and have been for at least a year now).

Quote:
and the $300 free ad credit offered by inmotion hosting, is it available everywhere? because the ad credits offered by arvixe is only available to US & canada only.
These are such a gimmick. An effective Google AdWords account costs at least $1200+ monthly, so $300 doesn't do anything. Never pick a host based on freebies. That's how you end up with lackluster hosts like Hostgator. And yes, the freebies are always for USA and Canada only -- never anywhere else. That's from Google, not the hosts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imin View Post
well for a start, hostgator's support is too slow. secondly when my site is busy, hostgator will display some pages on my site as 'not found' or sometimes it will display 'too much mysql connection'
Hostgator was bought by EIG in June 2012, and pathetic/slow support is the norm with EIG-owned hosts.
You may have already seen it, but if not, you should really read this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/editorials...es-eig-pt1.htm

Quote:
so i just need a new hosting which is pretty reliable and cheap.
Anything under $20/monthly is honestly "cheap". In fact, you probably paid more for a "cheap" Hostgator account that you would at better hosts!

Quote:
i want to start with shared hosting, and when the traffic on my site grows (i hope ), i can upgrade my hosting package to something better (either to semi dedicated or vps) on the same host seamlessly, without any downtime on my site
Then look at hosts with this kind of upgrade path -- Site5 (premium cloud), Webhosting Buzz (premier), Stablehost (enterprise), Glowhost (semi-dedicated), Arvixe.com (business class), or MDD Hosting (semi-dedicated). For VPS, there's more choices in hosts with good upgrade paths -- Veerotech, for example.

Quote:
while most shared hosting allows only 25 mysql connection concurrently
How many concurrent connections will you need? A lot of hosts allow up to 50 -- not 25. At least they use to. Maybe you're only used to crappy Hostgator (EIG) type hosts? Those "unlimited" hosts limit everything. If you need too many connections, then VPS may be what you need right now.

Quote:
so from my research, i'm down to three choices: arvixe, inmotion or mdd hosting
Those are all good hosts.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-12-2014, 12:31 AM
Free Member

thanks a lot for all the info kpmedia!

since maybe later I'll need a dedicated server,
it seems site5 doesn't have dedicated server, so I think it's out of equation.
webhostingbuzz seems good but the dedicated server is a bit more expensive than arvixe... (or maybe not the same configuration)
i think I'll have a try at arvixe first... because it seems arvixe has the most 'complete' upgrade path - shared -> business -> vps -> dedicated... i only hope it's support will return to the way it was before.

Tags
arvixe, inmotion hosting