digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Website and Server Troubleshooting (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-tech/)
-   -   Adobe CS5 Design Premium vs Adobe CS5 Master Collection? -- Which to buy? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-tech/2624-adobe-cs5-design.html)

Sossity 12-07-2010 04:02 AM

Adobe CS5 Design Premium vs Adobe CS5 Master Collection? -- Which to buy?

While I am in school & going for an AA in graphic design, some of the classes in my major are online & will require some of Adobe's software in the design premium suite.

I can get big student discounts on very expensive Adobe software, & looked at the design suite vs the master collection & it comes down to price

most if not all my classes in my major will probably only need the design premium or web premium suite. At one online student store, the web premium suite & the design suite are about $360.00 & the master collection is $599.99. I did the math & it is cheaper to get the whole master collection then getting say, the design premium, & then later the web premium.

I will be using this software on a macbook pro 2010 i7 laptop running snowleopard 10.6.3.

which version should I get? I want to make good use of my school money grants, this will probably be a one time purchase of such expensive software, so I go for it & get the whole master collection? or just get what my classes will require? with the master collection, it might allow me to grow into it if I find I need the other programs it has. I notice the master collection has some video editors in it & I do sometimes work with video.

Would I be able to get later updated student versions of any of the software in the master collection? for example I if Adobe photoshop CS 6 come out? or CS6 design premium? or would getting the master collection preclude or through Adobe's restrictions on student versions stop me from getting later versions of any of the software in the CS5 master collection?

does all the software in the master collection come on a single DVD-ROM? & can I choose off it which programs to install?

admin 12-07-2010 07:05 PM

Get the Master Collection.
Any decent communicator/artist should have at least one modern version of the Adobe Creative Suite.

I have the complete Adobe CS3 Master Collection.
Adobe CS4 Production Premium (solely for Adobe Premiere + Media Encoder)
And then the new Photoshop CS5

Are you sure on those prices? At Academic Superstore, it's $898 for the Adobe CS5 Master Collection. That must be some really speciall bulk academic buy through your college?

Adobe CS3 MC came on 4 DVDs, with several supplemental discs, in three multi-disc (but single-sized) DVD cases. Documentation is on one of the discs and/or online. They don't print books anymore. CS5 is probably very much the same. You can choose what you do and do not want to install. I never use Encore, so it's not installed.

MC comes with, at minimum (as of CS3, at least):
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Bridge
Adobe Premiere
Adobe Encore
Adobe Soundbooth
Adobe InDesign
Adobe Dreamweaver
Adobe Flash Encoder (now Media Encoder)
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Illustrator

I could not function without these tools.

It's going to work fine on your i7 Macbook with 10.6 -- it works fine on a Mac mini with OS X 10.6.

Indeed, this one purchase should last you for as many years as that Nikon D7000 camera does -- five or more, minimum. These tools are very advanced, and you won't be wanting for more, unless you end up in a job where you've having to always work with bleeding-edge technologies.

I don't believe you can upgrade the student editions, no. But honestly, there's not a lot of reason to do so. As stated, I'm still using the 2007 release of CS3 for most work, and I'm not missing out on anything. If you do find yourself wanting something else later, buy it ala carte, as I did -- like simply adding Photoshop CS5.

Sossity 12-08-2010 12:48 AM

I double checked the pricing & the price I posted is right, my school participates in volume licensing. I also signed up for a catalog in the mail because at checkout with my cart, there is a box to enter any promotion codes, so if my catalog comes & it has a promotion code on it, I can apply this as well, so I am keeping my selection in the cart & will wait for the catalog in the mail.

Is it a good deal even with Adobe's restrictions on student editions? I did a chat with adobe online & it seems the restrictions are that one cannot sell a computer with the software on it, I have to deactivate it, & can only be installed on 2 computers at a time. It can be used commercially for US & foreign entities from what I gather, but I can only use it if I am living in the USA. It is not likely I will be leaving the US to live somewhere else soon, but I wonder, how would Adobe check on this? do people who bought it living in the US then move to another country & use the software get busted? has it happened? what if I have my laptop whit the adobe software on it while on a visit to another country? I have family in the UK.

I know I may be over thinking it, but even at the student pricing, it is a hefty big purchase for me especially after the nikon d7000, so I want to have a fairly good idea of what I am getting into. I may have to wait on purchasing any more lenses for the camera until after Christmas, I may get money for Christmas. I am getting the software because I have signed up for adobe Photoshop 1 & adobe illustrator 1 this coming spring semester.

Is there recourse I could take should my laptop with the Adobe software on it get stolen or damaged? is there anything I can do to prevent this besides obviously being careful on my part?

kpmedia 12-08-2010 01:04 AM

Great price. Buy me one! (Just kidding. I'm fine.)
Wise move on waiting for the coupon. You're a very smart shopper, based on conversations to date.

I would not worry about the Adobe limits. You're over-thinking it.
"" how would Adobe check on this? "" -- They can't. The software doesn't "phone home" before it runs. And even the best geolocation databases are inaccurate, when it comes to IP addresses. You could easily proxy if you had to, thereby making any efforts by Adobe a waste of their resources, so they don't bother. I would imagine it mostly applies to anybody that runs it non-USA and tries to acquire assistance.

You'll be buying the discs, right? (I can't imagine the download time on that -- unreasonable at several days straight, I would guess.) Should your computer be stolen, damaged, etc -- reinstall from the discs. If there is an issue installing it again, you can call Adobe and explain the situation. Easy enough. Again, over-thinking it.

Really, really good price. That's awesome for you. :)

Sossity 12-08-2010 03:03 AM

How would I back up the install discs? in case of theft or natural disaster? took away the original discs? & would I be able to install from the copy or backup discs?

I noticed somewhere on Adobe's sight where it mentioned for full legal rights like to sell etc, they offer a student to "upgrade" to the full retail version, but based on what I have been told here, I dont really see a reason to do this, if they cannot "phone home" and if I want to sell my mac, I would just deactivate the software on it.

kpmedia 12-09-2010 07:06 PM

Makes copies of the discs, and store them at another location. Easy enough. All of my software, system C: boot drives and certain project files are duped and located on 1.5TB and 2TB drives at another location. The software discs are ISO files, the C: backups are Paragon files, and the work files are a mix of ISO dupes and various raw source files (docs, MPEG, JPEG, etc).

Sossity 12-09-2010 10:11 PM

So do I make ISO files of the Adobe software & then burn them to blank DVD's? what type of blank DVD's would best?

kpmedia 12-13-2010 12:18 AM

Either burn copies to new blank DVDs.
Or use ImgBurn to extract ISO image files, and save to a hard drive.
Or do both.
And then save the copies at another safe location.
That's how you create effective off-site backups of your software.
Backup copies of software are legally permitted, too, in case you were wondering.