digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Copy DVDs, Duplicate, Replicate (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/dvd-copy/)
-   -   Duplicating CD discs to USB? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/dvd-copy/13606-duplicating-cd-discs.html)

MemoriesSea 07-06-2023 09:01 AM

Duplicating CD discs to USB?

Hi guys

Some years ago I converted my VHS tapes to CD which I would now like to be on an external SSD. How should I approach this project and how can I retrieve and make sure that I get the highest quality available from these CD? Storage is not an issue as I would just like to get the highest available quality. Note - I still have the original VHS tapes laying around.

Thanks in advance!

Hushpower 07-06-2023 09:34 AM

It depends on what format the "CD" is. Are you sure it's a CD and not a DVD?

To start, put one of your disks into your computer and using Windows Explorer, single-click on the left column icon for the drive (so that Autorun isn't triggered). The content of the disk should then be visible in the right pane.

Take a screenshot of the expanded disk contents and post it here. Then we can advise.

In any case, it should be a lossless process so your quality will be retained.

MemoriesSea 07-06-2023 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the quick reply. Upon further looking I think the media drive is DVD instead of a normal CD.
I have uploaded a Snapshot.

Thanks

Hushpower 07-06-2023 10:39 PM

Are you on a Mac? If so, I can't help.

MemoriesSea 07-07-2023 08:32 AM

Macbook

Yes I am on a Mac, but I can easily access a windows if needed!
Thanks in advance

Hushpower 07-07-2023 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

but I can easily access a windows if needed!
Good! Mac affect me badly. I saw the three little coloured blobs and thought Arrgggh! :D

In the absence of any help from an Apple person, put your disk in a Windows machine, open up File Explorer and click on the CD/DVD drive like this:

Attachment 16719

If you see a Video_TS folder on the right, you have a DVD. Let us know what you see (or take a pic and post it here using the "Manage Attachments" feature).

MemoriesSea 07-07-2023 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi again.

This screenshot is taken on a MacBook, but the content is like you have said. The disk contains to folders named.: "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS".

The AUDIO TS folder is empty and the contents of my VIDEO TS folder is shown in the screenshot.

lordsmurf 07-07-2023 10:06 AM

Do not copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. That rarely works well. You need to "rip" the discs, either as ISO, or IFO mode to just extract the video/audio streams (dump the menus, if any, create a single proper MPEG files). Do not use a lossy re-conversion tool like Handbrake.

For Windows, it's as simple as using DVD Decrypter.
For Mac, it somewhat depends on OS, and whether Intel or M based.

The Windows option is far, far easier.

MemoriesSea 07-07-2023 10:23 AM

Yes I am aware of this. I have currently saved some of my DVD's as an ISO file, however upon further inspection it seems like some of the VOB file sound are distorted with a lot of noises and hisses. Is this in any way fixable or should I use my VHS tapes to redo the whole process?

My priority is to have loseless quality without anything being lost in the proces.
Thanks