digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Marketplace (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/marketplace/)
-   -   40+ Betamax Players wholesale $1000 (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/marketplace/10024-40-betamax-players.html)

Chase 09-22-2019 07:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello,
I am new here and i thought this would be a good place to post an ad before i go anywhere else.

I bought a giant Collection a Betamax Players/recorders, 98% all sony.

My intention was to honestly sell them 1 by 1 back into the market as i fixed them - alot of them seemed to have 1 issue or another.

I've successfully sold a few on ebay, but i just dont have the space or time to attend to this monumental task of Testing Repairing listing shipping Ect.

I also have a very good collection of Classic tapes id be willing to include with the deal.
Some of the tapes are valued on ebay at $50-$100 a piece, and i have a a couple dozen that reach that range, and about 100+ tapes total.

I'll include a Half-detail list of each model unit i have below:

***This list may have slight inaccuracies**

Slo 383
slo 325 x2
slp 305 x3
sl-5800 x8
sl 2300 x1
slo 260
slp 100 x2
so 5200 x2
Slo 1400
Sl 5000
sl-2710 x3
sl-100
sl-2700

The Hf units are currently the ones i have listed on ebay and have sold a few:

Hf-750 x3 - sold one for $300 last week
Hf-860
Hf-1000
sl-2401 x4
sl-t50me x1 -Very valuable unit over $1000 ebay value (working) ....mine is not working

I also make youtube videos and i will post the original video i posted on Aug 5th when i picked up the units and you can see them in good detail and get an idea of what im selling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCYrXIVXlQE&t=24s

I have gone through more than half of the units and tested them - and marked on post it notes on each unit what is broken with detail. - That process alone has been wearing me thin!

I work a full time job and i teach Electronic/Industrial Courses at night at my local community college and i thought these would make a good class project to tear them apart and see how they tick. But, that doesn't really go in line with my current teaching material of the semester: Hydraulic Fluid power. :wink2:

Please let me know if you are interested in this lot, in the video you can see i have MUCH more to offer as far as Sony Trinitron Tvs, Beta camcorders, sound mixers, Ect. that i picked up along with the players.

IF and thats a big if, IF every player was fixed and worked perfectly, this lot is worth (Modest ebay pricing) $5000-$10,000.

I'm wanting to part with EVERYTHING for $1000.

Not sure if i can post a phone number here but i'll be watching the thread to make sure i give a proper response in a timely manner.

lordsmurf 09-25-2019 02:30 AM

Interesting. :)

Your post has been approved. Please note that it may have been edited to comply with rules for posting in the marketplace. We hope you're able to sell your video/photos/computer item, or locate your want — all for free, and better than you could on eBay or Craigslist. Thanks!

josem84 09-25-2019 11:25 AM

How much for the 1000?

NJRoadfan 09-25-2019 11:54 AM

Please post your location. People aren't keen on having lots shipped due to cost. I'll have to give the video a view after work, my SL-HF860D isn't in the best of shape and I'd love one of the HF models if they are in good working order. Sony decks aren't known for aging gracefully.

latreche34 09-25-2019 12:10 PM

There are very few specific models of Beta's that are worth some money such as the latest 2 or 3 models and the ED betas, Anything BI and BII or top loading is pretty much useless, don't waste your time on those.

lingyi 09-26-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 64166)
There are very few specific models of Beta's that are worth some money such as the latest 2 or 3 models and the ED betas, Anything BI and BII or top loading is pretty much useless, don't waste your time on those.

Agreed. Since the primary use of a Betamax today is playback for capture, the only machine listed that's worth fixing is the SL-HF1000. The good news is that in good working order, you're looking at $1000++ for resale.

As a former Beta lover, I owned most of the top of the line (SL-5800, SL-HF2700, SL-HF2100) or near top of the line machines (SL-HF900, EDV-7500), plus 15+ others. IMO, the best picture quality in order was EDV-7500, SL-HF900 (little brother to the SL-HF1000) and SL-HF2100. All are SuperBeta and Beta Hi-Fi.

The SL-5800 and SL-HF2700 being a non-SuperBeta machine can't playback SuperBeta recordings properly. There's a herringbone pattern caused by the extended bandwidth of SuperBeta. In addition, it has a history of problems with the loading ring, which is based on the portable SL-2000. The less feature packed SL-HF2710 shipped with a new loading ring design and was less prone to failure.

My SL-HF860 was interesting for the digital effects, but produced a much softer picture than the other machines.

The SL-HF750 is reportedly overall a good machine, but the Sony techs told me that the tray loading mechanism was prone to failure, so I never got one.

The SL-100 and SL-2401 are budget non-SuperBeta machines.

I can't speak about the professional SLO and SLP machines. But as lordsmurf points out, professional machines are usually heavily used and likely put up for sale once they've lived their useful life. AFAIK, all professional machines are BII and possibly BI playback only.

The SL-T50ME is interesting and rare since it's a multi-system machine. However, a single system machine will probably provide a better picture.

I highly recommend anyone interested in Betamax machines visit Mr.Betamax: http://mrbetamax.com/

lordsmurf 09-26-2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJRoadfan (Post 64164)
Sony decks aren't known for aging gracefully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 64166)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lingyi (Post 64199)
Agreed. Since the primary use of a Betamax today is playback for capture, the only machine listed that's worth fixing is the SL-HF1000.

Although commenting on marketplace posts is sometimes discouraged, I appreciate the commentary here. Betamax isn't well understood these days, even to me. My knowledge of Betamax hardware is now so rusty that I just defer to some of you ("ask on the forum, some of our members know quite a bit on that exact topic").

We need a Betamax (and Betacam/SP, why not?) sticky thread to address it. Will one of you start it? I'll curate it.

Ideal format (using below tables, 900px max width, quote message to see the code):

1st Class (best of best)
Brand/ModelNotesAnother category needed?
Sony BestPlays everything b-e-a-utiful. 

2nd Class (decent, respectable model)
Brand/ModelNotes 
Sony GoodWatch for doodad that causes whatzit. 

3rd Class (not great, but functional)
Brand/ModelNotes 
Sony MehThis and that never work. 

4th Class (avoid, total crap)
Brand/ModelNotes 
Sony CrapIt's fallen, and can't get up. 

Try to keep notes factual, and not everything has notes.

Note: I'm currently doing this for the VHS listings. Also tinkering with Video8/Hi8/Digital8. We're adopting the 1/2/3/4 class system more, as it worked well for DVD.

MrBetamax is a good resource, but I want a resource here at this site.

Aside from info in threads, there is a glossary being developed (hopefully starting by Dec) where longer entries can be made, more info per model, with images, curate-able even better than forum posts.

lingyi 09-27-2019 12:06 AM

Someone with better eyes and practical working knowledge of the machines will confirm or refute my recollection, but I recall reading (back then) that the SL-HF-900 and EDV-7500's picture quality was slightly better than their big brothers, the SL-HF1000 and EDV-9500 because they were designed primarily for playback, versus the editing capabilities of their big brothers in a slave/master configuration.

deter 10-09-2019 09:10 PM

I rebuilt a few betamax units. One of them, still using with an external TBC it is amazing. The model SONY SL-HF2100. Best picture by far for any beta machine, it has s-video out puts as well.

Do have a fully rebuilt SL-HF860D, sitting in my office, these were better than normal betamax machines.

Betamax is really hard to repair, if you need parts you can't get them.

deter 10-09-2019 09:13 PM

NJRoadfan, I didn't even see your post, I have a rebuilt SL-HF860D sitting on my deck, you want it PM my account.