Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Buying, selling, or trading your extra media gear is not a complicated process.

Why Use the Marketplace?

Two reasons:

(1) It's free! This section of the site is currently free to use by all members.

(2) It works!
Quite a few members have sold items on The Digital FAQ. Sellers won't lose 8-10% on auction fees, and buyers can pick up a better deal because the seller isn't trying to reclaim the funds that it took to sell the item! It's win-win.

NOTE: No spam allowed! The Marketplace was created for individuals to connect with other individuals. A company with an inventory of items needs to advertise with us, or go elsewhere, as the Marketplace is not made for advertising for stores.

Here's how it works...

Step 1 - Make a new post.

You can
- offer items for sale
- request items to buy
- offer/request items for trade

Any item related to digital media is fair game -- be it used in digital video, audio, or photography; hardware, software and accessories; or computers/laptops, etc.

Step 2 - A price is required!

"For sale" (FS) posts will not be approved without a price. You must list a price when selling an item. Expecting for a buyer to guess at a satisfactory price is ridiculous. This area of the site is for buying, selling or trading -- it's not an auction, it's not a guessing game. If you need suggestions on what an item is worth, ask that in one of the other forums, then come back here and post it for sale.

Although not required, "want to buy" (WTB) posts should list a price that you're willing to pay. If you're unsure what an item should cost, please ask in one of the other subforums. It's of no use to anybody to expect quality items without being willing to offer fair market price.

"For trade" (FT) posts usually have no money involved. Post what other exact item(s), or types of items, you'd consider in trade.

Step 3 - Shipping info required.

List where you are (or are not) willing to send an item.

NOTE: It's our suggestion that you make items for sale to anybody anywhere. The Digital FAQ has a large amount of traffic from North America and Europe, but also South America, Australia and Asia -- and our forum members are located all over the world. Why exclude somebody willing to buy your item and pay for shipping? We routinely buy, sell, trade, and work with clients all over the globe.

"For sale" items should also list an estimated shipping cost. Better yet, give the weight and size of the item, and a sending country or zip/postal code, so the buyer can calculate shipping himself/herself.

Step 4 - Wait for approval.

All new posts will be approved. This is done mostly to fight spam, as well as be sure all posts in this area abide by the rules. You can see your new post, but it will not be visible to the public until it's been approved.

It's rare for a Marketplace post to not be approved within 24 hours.

Step 5 - Let the money/offers roll in!

To communicate with sellers/buyers/traders, simply reply in the thread and/or contact the person via Private Message (PM).

NOTE: This should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway -- The Digital FAQ is not liable for bad transactions between buyer and seller (or traders). We also do not get involved in disputes between parties, aside from banning members/IPs that are proven to be scammers. When selling an item, don't be a moron -- don't fall for a scam (i.e., sending COD, using unknown escrows, accepting weird payments from third parties, etc).

Also please don't harass sellers with "Where's my stuff?!!" unless you paid for overnight express shipping. Give items a full week to arrive.

Step 6 - Reply when item is sold/found/traded.

We'll mark the thread as [SOLD], [DONE] or [FOUND] and close it from further replies.

These rules, notices and other information will be updated as is necessary.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!

Last edited by lordsmurf; 01-04-2015 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Streamlined rules.
The following users thank admin for this useful post: fnub (02-14-2012)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Post reserved.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-01-2018, 11:15 PM
Free Member

I was reading the rules about needing a price, yet I do want to ask for some suggestions of fair value/past sales. Which forum has that type of discussion? There are so many forums and threads it's dizzying.

Perhaps a kind MOD can just move this?

I have a lot of stuff I want to put up for sale. I really need to downsize. I wanted to first ask if selling on this marketplace is better than trying Ebay or Amazon, for instance?

You see, not only do I have all my old stereo stuff, turntable (mostly Onkyo) but also my very first tv, a black and white panny from, I believe, 1976. Still working!

So those things, it seems, belong here. Then I have all of my old 45s, 33s, tons of comics from the 70s and 80s and I know those DON'T go here, so I'm going to have to open an account on Ebay or Amazon anyway. I'm just getting started on my resolution to sell everything I've refused to sell my whole life. I want to redo the basement, but I have to empty it first.
03-02-2018, 12:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
It really comes down to how on-topic the gear is.

Old turntables really aren't any more on-topic than comics books.

Antique video equipment, like an old B&W TV, may pique the interest of a few members that collect it out of nostalgia. Still, it is a bit off-topic. While we discuss analog video, the ultimate goal is digital conversion. I'm not sure how well such a thing would sell here.

Perhaps PM me a full list of what you have, and I can give some quick direction.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-14-2023, 06:08 PM
Free Member

I made a post here many days ago and it went into a void. Can't tell if it wasn't approved because I violated a rule (didn't include detailed shipping info) or it's still in the approval queue? It was directly on topic. Have some other items equally so that I would also like to list, but waiting on the first "job" to exit the queue before proceeding with the next one.