digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/)
-   -   Video 8 transfer help - tape degradation + AIW = Macromedia DRM (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/13379-video-transfer-tape.html)

avongil 03-17-2023 03:11 PM

Video 8 transfer help - tape degradation + AIW = Macromedia DRM

Hi Everyone,

I am converting my family's video 8 tape stash from 1990-1995 and am having quite a bit of trouble with some of the tapes. I thought I had it all figured out and built a circa 1999 Athlon PC with an AGP slot. It actually works great with a clean signal. Very impressive compared to:
EZ Cap - junk. its in the trash.
Pinnacle movie box. It's ok.

My problem is some tapes are in bad shape and they kick off the MV drm. I'm certain it's this because I have a particularly bad one that actually displays an error message and stops the recording!

sharpest picture, the MV flashes kill it.
TEAC V-800G-F (S video out)
ATI AIW 9600 (S Video In)

Terrible quality but kinda works:
TEAC V-800G-F (S video out)
RadioShack RF Modulator (S Video In)
ATI AIW 9600 (RF In)

In a fit of desperation I hooked it up to a vintage Amiga A1200

better quality overall since the flashes are muted a bit:
TEAC V-800G-F (component video out)
SuperGen S10 hooked up to an Amiga A1200
ATI AIW 9600 (component Video In)

---

So, I just want some advice on what hardware to get to fix the issue, but spending 2-3K is certainly not in the budget. I could sell the video8 hi/8 vcr and get something with a TBC built in, but I dont want to mess around too much either. Can you guys take a look at this video and let me know what you think will correct the problem without spending thousands on an excellent TBC???

Video: https://nextcloud.independence18040....R28TdHkiPPNddg

lordsmurf 03-17-2023 03:32 PM

TBCs are required for transfer, not optional. Otherwise you get what you see there.

And yes, a frame TBC will prevent the false anti-copy detection, as well as prevent other issues due to imperfect signal. There should be zero flashing of any kind with proper TBCs in use.

line TBC = fixes the image
frame TBC = ffxes the signal
You need both.

That AIW is one of the best cards, so simply add the quality JVC VCR (with line TBC) and frame TBC.

Remember: buy it, use it, resell it. It holds value.

avongil 03-17-2023 07:36 PM

can you recommend a VCR with TBC that is a video8 deck or one that has svideo input and out? I'm having a super hard time finding any

-- merged --

there seems to be a bunch of Sony Hi8 units, but id be rolling the dice. One thing I know works well is my current deck - albeit not corrected.

As far as I can tell these are the only 4 units I could try with a passthrough that is corrected(ish):

VHS:
HM-DH30000U
HM-DH40000U
JVC HM-DH5U

DVD:
DMR-ES10

Hushpower 03-17-2023 11:14 PM

You can add to that list the ES-15.

Yes, it's a (tough?) call. Fork out hundreds for a good Video 8/Hi8 VCR with internal line TBC (that probably will but may not fix this) or thousands for a proper TBC or... ~$100 for an ES-10 or ES-15.

If you think your VCR is a good one already and it's just the tapes, then the answer, to me, is obvious. :wink2:

I'd give the Ezycrap a go on these bad tapes, see what happens.

avongil 03-18-2023 07:30 PM

yes, Im currently looking for a working panasonic dmr. I even have a smc-cm coming in I managed to get for 10$.

I tried the EzCrap - the image failed to sync at all! What a piece of garbage.
That thing barely works at all. I got my money refunded very quickly from the seller when I complained.

The cool thing about the AIW card is that it captures the NTSC and PAL signals my vinage Amiga throws out. This is near impossible with any other thing I have tried. so cool

It really is a shame the AIW software is the culprit here. If it just had some scrappy edges once in a while i would not care. The crappy DRM is causing much frustration. None of the hacks work. It is a shame they are even listed - this has caused tons of wasted time.

I am even considering trying an upscallar. to get rid of this macrovision tripping problem. I don't need the greatest quality in the world, but something better than the RF converter can provide for sure!

-- merged --

question - is the DMR ES-15 corrected on the SVideo line also? I could not find a good answer to that.

Hushpower 03-18-2023 11:16 PM

I'm in PAL land and all the S-video lines are stabilised; I use Line 4 in/out for S-video and for composite In, I use AV1 or AV3.

Inputs I have tested that are stabilised, with no luma (brightness/contrast) level change: AV1 IN Composite, AV2 IN S-Video, AV 3 (S-video and Composite), AV4 In S-Video

The only "bad" circuit that I can detect, where the luma levels get blown out by the ES-15 stabiliser, is AV2 IN Composite.

Between the VCR and the ES-15, I use whatever is best: I'll use Composite (yellow) if the VCR only has that, or S-video if the VCR has that. Between the ES-15 and the digitiser, I use S-video.

avongil 03-19-2023 12:00 PM

Excellent. Thank you. I will add that to the short list, but I do already have a Panasonic ES-10 coming in on Wednesday!

This will be the end of the road for my current set up, if this fails I will sell the Teac and get some sort of Hi8 or Digital8 deck with a TBC. Yes, I will be stubborn and not get a pro setup, I just cannot justify doing that.

-- merged --

As far as I can tell these are the only 5 units I could try with a passthrough that is corrected(ish):

Note they don't have to 100% work, but they do to a certain extent and that is dependant on the unit itself so no info there other than beware, a broken unit may be a deal, but if the dvd is not detected for example, it wont function as a mild TBC.

D-VHS Decks:
JVC HM-DH30000U
JVC HM-DH40000U
JVC HM-DH5U

DVD:
Panasonic DMR-ES10
Panasonic DMR-ES15

-- merged --

It works!!!

Can't complain, for $97 shipped to my door the DMR-ES10 has cleaned up the output of my worst tape.

I present to you a low quality Video 8 tape. This is probably the worst one of all, it was riddled with areas that did now show pictures, and all of it had a flashing white top to it. Some areas of it are not ideal still, but its good enough!
SUPERTAPE HG-120. I guess cheeping out on Video 8 tapes was a mistake in 1990.

Pics:
https://nextcloud.independence18040....bCEFikrbAECEdY

Video:
https://nextcloud.independence18040....AkxStNNy867dgq

Hushpower 03-23-2023 06:59 PM

Excellent news, thanks for the feedback!

avongil 03-24-2023 07:38 AM

I just got through my second worst tape. In it there was a section that had some flashing and static that stopped the ATI TV app from recording. It produced an error message in the crying about a copy protected broadcast. It sailed right through it with only two dropped frames. Fantastic. I'm thrilled. It was a school project I did in 1990 when I was 10! That was kind of cool to see. I was a pain in the rear! My poor parents.

I can now safely say this method solved the problem. I'm actually getting a better picture on the ATI TV app now, than my monitor. yes it has its own converter, but up until now that was the best image. Id have to find a nice CRT some place, but I unfortunately sold my last a few years ago - and I really regret that!

I am more than satisfied with this solution! Hope this helps someone out that is in a similar boat.

Hushpower 03-24-2023 07:51 AM

Quote:

Id have to find a nice CRT some place, but I unfortunately sold my last a few years ago - and I really regret that!
You'd be surprised how well these types of video come out on a big TV. I'm putting my captures into 1440x1080 H264 at only 4000kbps and they look great on my 55" TV, better than on my monitor.