digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   Panasonic AG5710/AG1980 caps in head amp? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/13168-panasonic-ag5710-ag1980.html)

MrPete 12-18-2022 09:11 PM

Panasonic AG5710/AG1980 caps in head amp?

Two caps listed in the head amps have NO spec / substitution / etc info that I can find online.

These are listed in the service manuals for both the AG1980P and AG5710, listed this way in schematics and parts lists (with "I" suffix which is immaterial.): ECEA0JPK221 and ECEA0JPK470 .
  • I know they are 6.3V, 47 and 220 uF. But usually other param's are significant.
  • These "ought" to be ECEA, Series PK. But that series doesn't show up anywhere I can find.
  • (C555 and C558 on both units, both in parts list and schematics. Series 500 PCB, so physically labeled C55 and C58)
Got any other resources or ideas?

hodgey 12-19-2022 05:28 AM

Do they have any markings on them?

At least in other Panasonics of the time I've seen the electrolytic capacitors in the head amplifier are just standard type 85C low profile capacitors. Think at least one of the caps on the NV-HS1000 at my old job was an ELNA rather than Panasonic as well.

MrPete 12-19-2022 04:01 PM

Definitely marked.
  • The standard markings one would expect for 6.3V 47uF / 6.3V 220uF
  • [M] xx 85C (Panasonic logo is "M" for Matsushita, their original name ;) ), series code, and temp
  • Date codes (Letter-digit-digit-letter. Haven't found an explanation anywhere. These are V84B and D84A)
  • The case is blue. AFAIK that's somehow significant.
  • The diameter also can tell us something. These: 220uF are 6mm, 47uF are 4mm
And one new thing: where the series code is often seen, between the logo and temp...
  • The vast majority of caps are KA, a lower case f, or blank (all black caps), or SU (blue caps)
  • These blue caps have "CE" -- which is not a series I find.
So, a few unusual things: blue, marked CE

hodgey 12-19-2022 05:50 PM

SU are general purpose 85C - discontinued and now replaced by M-A series
KA are general purpose 85c 7mm height - still made

Not sure why they would be labelled PK in the parts list, maybe they changed the naming at some point but if the actual capacitors say KA on them one would assume they are KA.

So can replace with equivialent (M-A for SU ones) and same (KA) if you want otherwise anything where the capacitance is the same, voltage/temp rating/lifetime is same or better and that fit should work.

Not sure if the CE mark refers to CE marking or something else.

MrPete 12-19-2022 07:43 PM

No, these caps are NOT KA nor SU nor M. The actual caps say "CE"... neither PK nor CE are known series everywhere I look.

I've sent a message to Panasonic product support, in hopes they can resolve the mystery.

yyonline 02-07-2023 12:54 AM

@MrPete - Did you ever have any luck hearing back from Panasonic on this? I also ran into the same questions with the same capacitors.

cruisinforgold 02-07-2023 09:58 PM

I think you'll find your caps here for the head unit with replacements identified in the excel.

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr...html#post88248

Sorry didn't realize I was linking back to OP on the target thread - your reference is awesome!

MrPete 02-08-2023 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisinforgold (Post 89004)
I think you'll find your caps here for the head unit with replacements identified in the excel....Sorry didn't realize I was linking back to OP on the target thread - your reference is awesome!

Thanks! Unfortunately, problem NOT solved. I'm sending photos to the Panny rep ;)

yyonline 02-11-2023 01:02 AM

Thanks for the update. It's possible it was a series they used internally, but never sold. That would explain why it's not listed in any catalogs.

MrPete 02-11-2023 09:51 AM

So far, the rep *and all of his contacts* are confused. :)So, I sent all the characteristics / photos I have. Hopefully they can identify what's going on.

It's clearly a special pair of caps. Both in the documentation (for the VCR's) and the physical caps, they're unlike all other caps in these devices as well.