digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   JVC HR-S9900U menu? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/13284-jvc-s9900u-menu.html)

packsnap85 02-04-2023 11:13 PM

JVC HR-S9900U menu?

Do I have to have an analog monitor to be able to see the menu in the 9900 or am I missing something really simple? My TVs and capture device show no signal when tapes are not playing, and I can’t get the menu to come up when they are. I have not had this issue with any other JVCs made before or after this one.

latreche34 02-04-2023 11:25 PM

Menu's video is not conform to standards, So yes not all capture cards or software can display it, But a TV even modern ones should be able to display it as long as you are connecting the VCR via an analog connection.
Did you do the basic checks, like remote battery is not dead, VCR is responding to the remote commends by noticing if the VCR display changes... etc.

packsnap85 02-05-2023 06:53 AM

Yes, I tried both the button on the front panel and multiple JVC remotes. S video, composite, and coax outputs. Also fed it through an es10. When I press menu after powering up, the mode does switch to vcr on the front display but nothing shows up on the screen. When I press navigation, a window pops up. The channel buttons on the remote and front panel work to scroll up and down, and the ok buttons work on both as well. When I press menu, the screen remains but the channel buttons go back to changing the channels, and I have to power off to get rid of the menu

latreche34 02-05-2023 02:51 PM

Make sure you are playing a video while the menu is displayed.

packsnap85 02-05-2023 11:06 PM

The video keeps playing when I hit menu on either the remote or the machine itself. Is this normal for this machine?

latreche34 02-06-2023 01:50 AM

It's normal for any machine, Otherwise how are you gonna see the changes you make.

Hushpower 02-06-2023 03:55 AM

@packsnap, do you mean the menu does not appear, even when the video is playing?

I have a JVC 5800. With a video playing, when I hit Menu, the whole screen is taken over by the menu.

But if I don't have a tape playing, the JVC menus are sometimes mis-shaped, with horizontal lines across the screen in the lower third and the bright blue sometimes being replaced by broken grey.

Sometimes, hitting menu when using VCR Composite straight to my GV-USB 2 capture dongle even froze everything!

Consistent Menu behaviour/response occurred when using S-Video Out through a Panny "TBC". Even then, I still had the broken grey screen if a tape wasn't playing.

To reiterate, I consistently got the menu to appear if I hit the menu button whilst a tape was playing.

Hushpower 02-06-2023 04:13 AM

I will add that I have had no trouble with any of the other 6 non-JVC VCRs I have. There is definitely something iffy about JVC video output when a tape isn't playing.

packsnap85 02-06-2023 05:50 AM

To clarify, when I am playing a tape and hit menu, the tape keeps playing and the menu does not appear

latreche34 02-06-2023 10:26 AM

If your TV has composite in and the menu doesn't appear if the VCR is connected directly to it, have your VCR checked by a skilled technician. There is nothing we can do beyond this point.

packsnap85 02-08-2023 06:08 PM

Would it be as simple as replacing the navigation card if I can find one?

lordsmurf 02-11-2023 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packsnap85 (Post 88929)
My TVs and capture device show no signal when tapes are not playing.

The issue here is lack of frame TBC. The input is unstable.

packsnap85 02-11-2023 01:58 PM

Would this be beyond what an ES10 would fix? It shows up fine with my other JVCs

lordsmurf 02-11-2023 02:01 PM

ES10 is not a TBC.

It's a DVD recorder with a strong+crippled line TBC, a non-TBC frame sync, and various processing (quality reducing side effects).

ES10/15 type will often also not provide continuity of signal. Because, again, not a frame TBC.

It's a great optional unit for workflows. but it is not (and never has been) any sort of TBC replacement. That's a recent online false notion, past few years, mostly in an attempt to avoid buying an actual frame TBC.

Sometimes ES10/15 works, sometimes not. That was never it's function.