digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   HR S8700 tracking problems / Dirty Head? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/13328-s8700-tracking-problems.html)

Akuma786 02-20-2023 08:05 AM

HR S8700 tracking problems / Dirty Head?

1 Attachment(s)
The issue I'm experiencing is when I insert a SVHS tape, the VCR Initially picks up that it is a SVHS tape and the logo appears on front display of VCR but when i press the play button the SVHS Logo vanishes from VCR front display and the tapes all seem to have tracking issues continuesly along with the counter numbers not moving whilst on PLAY mode.

However when I press the FF button, the SVHS logo appears on the front display of the VCR and the picture looks clear whilst on FF and only then the counter numbers move compared to when on Play mode the counter doesn't move and tracking problems constantly.

I tried a few tapes and can't seem to get any working properly.

I have recorded the issue on my phone as i thought if you guys could see it you'll have a better idea of what I described.

I think the Head of the VCR needs cleaning but I could be wrong, but I rather ask you guys first for advice and tips on what to do.

Thanks
Akuma786

latreche34 02-20-2023 12:20 PM

That looks like pulse signal problem, There is a stationary head that picks up linear audio and tracking pulses, Clean that head and make sure the tape passes through it in stable fashion, If it's curling or going up and down stop using important tapes on it (you can post a video of the tape path if you would like), Also check the same head ribbon cable and make sure its clean and fully seated on the head side and the main PCB side.

Akuma786 02-20-2023 12:52 PM

Thanks for replying. I'll take a look at that tonight and let you know. Much appreciated.

Akuma786 02-20-2023 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 89236)
That looks like pulse signal problem, There is a stationary head that picks up linear audio and tracking pulses, Clean that head and make sure the tape passes through it in stable fashion, If it's curling or going up and down stop using important tapes on it (you can post a video of the tape path if you would like), Also check the same head ribbon cable and make sure its clean and fully seated on the head side and the main PCB side.

So I have opened the top cover of the VCR and and posted video below. Is that white dust mould?

timtape 02-21-2023 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Often mould can be seen by looking through the cassette's window where it appears on the top edge of the tape pack. Below is an example photo.

If it is mould, the affected tapes need to be identified and properly treated before being played. The deck also needs its mould affected internals properly treated. Mould can be a health hazard. I suggest you dont proceed without expert help.

latreche34 02-21-2023 02:44 AM

Yeah, It is as dirty as a whore working double shift, You need to clean it thoroughly without being exposed to whatever that substance is.