digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   JVC HR-S7611 tape out, shut down? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/13463-jvc-s7611-tape.html)

ZotA 04-22-2023 06:03 AM

JVC HR-S7611 tape out, shut down?

1 Attachment(s)
Long story short, around a year ago I purchased VCR from vcrshop (JVC HR-S7611) and at that time I did not have a chance to test it at all. During the year it was sitting sealed and now I got a chance to continue with the VHS capture project. After setting it all up I did a test to capture a few minutes of video and turn it off. After a few days decided to make full tape capture and loaded it into VCR. And this is happening now (attached the video)

1. VCR turns on
2. Loads the tape
3. VCR makes loud strange spinning noise
4. VCR ejects tape and shuts down immediately

Any ideas about what is wrong and if I can do myself to fix this:question: Would be really pitty if I need new VCR :(

themaster1 04-22-2023 10:22 AM

Have you tried other tapes by any chance ? First time i see this problem really

ZotA 04-22-2023 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themaster1 (Post 90304)
Have you tried other tapes by any chance ? First time i see this problem really

Yes, tried a few different tapes including the same which worked for the initial test. Same result ...

latreche34 04-22-2023 01:42 PM

Possible mode switch failure or a broken component that prevents the mechanism to go to the next mode.

ZotA 04-23-2023 07:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 90306)
Possible mode switch failure or a broken component that prevents the mechanism to go to the next mode.

Opened the top cover and found this part broken :( Wonder what part is this and what is a function of it?
Seems that tape is playing after removing it.:hmm:

themaster1 04-23-2023 08:33 AM

perhaps the mode switch yes but the sound it makes there has to be another problem like broken gear on the motor or back tension issue. Just a guess.

Why on your monitor on the left there is just snow ? There should be the menu of the vcr displayed

If you can make a video on the inside and load the tape, that'll be more helpful for further help

latreche34 04-23-2023 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZotA (Post 90315)
Opened the top cover and found this part broken :( Wonder what part is this and what is a function of it?
Seems that tape is playing after removing it.:hmm:

That's a counter weight disc helps put some tension on the tape to get a better tape to drum contact pressure especially at the end of the tape when the supply reel gets empty and lighter, If you want quality playback you will have to fix it, Less pressure on the drum means low RF signal which means slightly noisy picture, not noticeable by an average person but an RF meter like an oscilloscope can show the difference.

ZotA 04-23-2023 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 90327)
That's a counter weight disc helps put some tension on the tape to get a better tape to drum contact pressure especially at the end of the tape when the supply reel gets empty and lighter, If you want quality playback you will have to fix it, Less pressure on the drum means low RF signal which means slightly noisy picture, not noticeable by an average person but an RF meter like an oscilloscope can show the difference.

I see, it looks like I might be able to replace it myself, just need a part (hope it is true and there is no need for some advanced alignment afterward). The quality dropped a lot I would say, in test capture, I skipped external TBC and the quality was fine with no frame drops, etc., but now the video is distorted badly with the same test.

ZotA 05-13-2023 08:42 AM

I reached the vcrshop and they kindly sent me the replacement part. Great service!
The replacement was straightforward, however video issues @themaster1 noticed in the video did not disappear, I guess it was just a coincidence, will continue to troubleshoot.

latreche34 05-13-2023 05:53 PM

As I said that part does not cause picture distortion, it just helps with tape tension, You may have a miss aligned tape path caused by that broken part being pushed around by different parts. This is one of the reasons why always open the lid and check inside the VCR before even plugging it in, You never know what you're gonna find.

ZotA 05-15-2023 07:57 AM

Yeah, I need to find a tv/monitor to connect directly and confirm it is a VCR. I did connect Panasonic ES-10 directly to the capture card which results in getting the menu flickering the same as with VCR connected, therefore did an assumption it might not be VCR's fault. But as said, will have to check on TV to proceed further.