Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-22-2023, 06:03 AM
Free Member

Long story short, around a year ago I purchased VCR from vcrshop (JVC HR-S7611) and at that time I did not have a chance to test it at all. During the year it was sitting sealed and now I got a chance to continue with the VHS capture project. After setting it all up I did a test to capture a few minutes of video and turn it off. After a few days decided to make full tape capture and loaded it into VCR. And this is happening now (attached the video)

1. VCR turns on
2. Loads the tape
3. VCR makes loud strange spinning noise
4. VCR ejects tape and shuts down immediately

Any ideas about what is wrong and if I can do myself to fix this Would be really pitty if I need new VCR

Attached Files
File Type: mov JVC_S7611_tape_eject_shutdown.MOV (12.68 MB, 11 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-22-2023, 10:22 AM
Free Member

Have you tried other tapes by any chance ? First time i see this problem really
04-22-2023, 11:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
Have you tried other tapes by any chance ? First time i see this problem really
Yes, tried a few different tapes including the same which worked for the initial test. Same result ...
04-22-2023, 01:42 PM
Free Member

Possible mode switch failure or a broken component that prevents the mechanism to go to the next mode.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
04-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Possible mode switch failure or a broken component that prevents the mechanism to go to the next mode.
Opened the top cover and found this part broken Wonder what part is this and what is a function of it?
Seems that tape is playing after removing it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3547.jpg (178.5 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_3548.jpg (46.0 KB, 9 downloads)
04-23-2023, 08:33 AM
Free Member

perhaps the mode switch yes but the sound it makes there has to be another problem like broken gear on the motor or back tension issue. Just a guess.

Why on your monitor on the left there is just snow ? There should be the menu of the vcr displayed

If you can make a video on the inside and load the tape, that'll be more helpful for further help
04-23-2023, 12:35 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZotA View Post
Opened the top cover and found this part broken Wonder what part is this and what is a function of it?
Seems that tape is playing after removing it.
That's a counter weight disc helps put some tension on the tape to get a better tape to drum contact pressure especially at the end of the tape when the supply reel gets empty and lighter, If you want quality playback you will have to fix it, Less pressure on the drum means low RF signal which means slightly noisy picture, not noticeable by an average person but an RF meter like an oscilloscope can show the difference.
04-23-2023, 01:06 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
That's a counter weight disc helps put some tension on the tape to get a better tape to drum contact pressure especially at the end of the tape when the supply reel gets empty and lighter, If you want quality playback you will have to fix it, Less pressure on the drum means low RF signal which means slightly noisy picture, not noticeable by an average person but an RF meter like an oscilloscope can show the difference.
I see, it looks like I might be able to replace it myself, just need a part (hope it is true and there is no need for some advanced alignment afterward). The quality dropped a lot I would say, in test capture, I skipped external TBC and the quality was fine with no frame drops, etc., but now the video is distorted badly with the same test.
05-13-2023, 08:42 AM
Free Member

I reached the vcrshop and they kindly sent me the replacement part. Great service!
The replacement was straightforward, however video issues @themaster1 noticed in the video did not disappear, I guess it was just a coincidence, will continue to troubleshoot.
05-13-2023, 05:53 PM
Free Member

As I said that part does not cause picture distortion, it just helps with tape tension, You may have a miss aligned tape path caused by that broken part being pushed around by different parts. This is one of the reasons why always open the lid and check inside the VCR before even plugging it in, You never know what you're gonna find.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
05-15-2023, 07:57 AM
Free Member

Yeah, I need to find a tv/monitor to connect directly and confirm it is a VCR. I did connect Panasonic ES-10 directly to the capture card which results in getting the menu flickering the same as with VCR connected, therefore did an assumption it might not be VCR's fault. But as said, will have to check on TV to proceed further.