digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   VHS captures using JVC HR-DVS3U look bad? (lines) (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/13765-vhs-captures-jvc.html)

DigiTime12 09-17-2023 07:26 PM

VHS captures using JVC HR-DVS3U look bad? (lines)

1 Attachment(s)
I have been attempting some VHS captures using VirtualDub, using the same setting recommended in the guide on this website with Huffyuv compression. I am capturing with an Iodata GVUSB2. All of my Video8 captures that I have done with these same settings using my Digital8 camera look great and do not have these lines at all, however all 3 VHS tapes I have tried have this same issue. The below video is deinterlaced via QTGMC just to rule out interlacing and I wondered if it would help clear these lines up which I dont think it has.
Is this traditional VHS quality? Or is there an issue here?
I have messed with the settings on my DVS3U and none of them so far have helped. I have also done a head clean before putting the tapes in but I am a novice so would be willing to do it again if required. Just trying to get some clarity on what this is and if I am maybe looking at a player with worn heads or something. Many thanks

Feedbucket 09-17-2023 07:58 PM

That looks like standard upper/top field first interlacing, which is normal for a VHS capture.

latreche34 09-17-2023 09:13 PM

That looks normal, you need to de-interlace it. It doesn't look like you have de-interlaced it at all.

Hushpower 09-17-2023 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Agree, it hasn't been deinterlaced. Here it is, deinterlaced in VDub.

I'm sure somebody will be able to troubleshoot your QTGMC script if you post it.

timtape 09-17-2023 11:53 PM

Extremely shaky camera shots as is this one are also difficult candidates for data compression, and for deinterlacing. Interlaced files were intended to be viewed interlaced.

DigiTime12 09-18-2023 04:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, I have attached a basic Avisynth script below, trying to learn Avisynth and use it when I can hence me using it here too. This is the script used to generate the output file seen here. I did just do a test using Virtualdub on a small sample and indeed that looks better it seems, how come QTGMC isnt fixing the lines? Am i doing something wrong here?

DigiTime12 09-18-2023 05:22 AM

Turns out I have been very stupid indeed and when I decided to export the file with FFMPEG, I exported the original AVI and not the AVS script, very silly of me. I do however have another random issue with this project, I have discovered that when I export videos x264 mp4 videos with the original 4:2:2 colour space, these videos do not play on Apple devices and when plugged into my SmartTV via memory stick, only way I have managed to solve this is putting ConvertToYV12() in the Avisynth script which i think drops it down to 4:2:0? Is there a better way of fixing this? Ideally I would like to avoid losing colour data

latreche34 09-18-2023 09:42 AM

Not all devices are compatible with h.264 @ 4:2:2 unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about it.