digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Installed ATI MMC: 'Capture driver is not loaded' error? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3209-installed-ati-mmc.html)

rappy 06-19-2011 02:41 PM

Installed ATI MMC: 'Capture driver is not loaded' error?

Well, I have got my XP capture rig with AIW7500 up and running- sort of. When I run the PC check, it failed at "Capture driver is not loaded nor enumerated by the..."

So this is where I begin to get confused. I don't want to start downloaded all kinds of junk that will not fix the problem. I installed (per admin) ATI MMC 8.8. I also installed Catalyst Control Center v. 1.2.2314.20337 separately thinking it might have the drives needed.

Oh- I also sometimes get a warning that the "sound card with clock stability tetter then +/-0.2%" but not always. Should that be a concern?

Thanks in advance,

Rappy

admin 06-19-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

"Capture driver is not loaded nor enumerated by the..."
This error always happens to me when I have another video program open. For example, VirtualDub or VLC. Reboot and see what happens when ATI MMC's "TV" is the only program running. If you still get this error, even when it's the only app opened after a cold boot, then the installation may have been corrupt in some way. Or you may have files from previous failed ATI MMC install attempts lingering on the system, which is causing conflicts. I've had that happen, too. Uninstall and try again. Possibly try a different installer CD.

Quote:

I installed (per admin) ATI MMC 8.8. I also installed Catalyst Control Center v. 1.2.2314.20337 separately thinking it might have the drives needed.
Well, this may be a problem, too. ATI MMC 8.8 needs to be installed last, after the various graphics and capture drivers are installed. In early generations of ATI installers, each piece was separate, in about 5 separate installs. In later years, it was merged into the "Catalyst" package. You may have installed the wrong things, and in the wrong order.

Try the downloads here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-hacks.html

Install these:
ATI-6168package-1st-wdm.rar
ATI-6168package-2nd-wme.rar
ATI-6168package-3rd-cp.rar
ATI-6168package-4th-mdacdao.part1.rar
ATI-6168package-4th-mdacdao.part2.rar
ATI-6168package-4th-mdacdao.part3.rar

Notice 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th -- the install MUST be in that order!

... followed by the ATI MMC 8.7 on that page.

Quote:

Oh- I also sometimes get a warning that the "sound card with clock stability tetter then +/-0.2%" but not always. Should that be a concern?
Yes, it should be a concern. That suggests your audio will be out of sync. In another thread, you asked about Turtle Beach vs Creative Soundblaster cards -- try the other card. And yes, the Santa Cruz will be better than the Soundblaster.

rappy 06-19-2011 08:17 PM

Finally up and running (sort of). Final steps

So - After spending ALL day putting everything together, I have a small miracle (for me) :D. I can actually get a signal from the VHS player.

Here is what I have done so far.

PC -

Asrock 4CoreDual Vista Mobo (ebay)
ATI AIW 7500 AGP card
Intel Q6600 CPU
2GB Memory
LG DVD Burner (will swap out once I am ready to burn)
320 GB Western Digital BLUE "OS" hard drive.
1TB Black Western Digital "capture" drive
Soundblaster Extreem XFI Sound card

I did a clean install of Windows XP HOME Edition. I installed all the updates up to SP3.

Hardware

JVC HR-S9900U VCR ( I took it to a certified JVC service center - They replaced the part that takes in the tape and cleaned/ensured everything was working.
Sign Video Proc Amp
2nd AVT-8710 on its way from B&H. If that is a bad unit, then I will go with a different proc amp
Generic 6 ft S-video cables from Monoprice

For my testing, I have just used the VCR direct to the pc.

ATI Software

Here is where things get a little fuzzy.

I installed HUFFYUV 2.1.1

I think I have the correct video drives installed- DEVICE MANAGER says Driver 6.14.10.6462 (Correct one?)

First attempt to install MMC I downloaded from the "FAQ ATI Hacks, Drivers...." reply #20. I beleive it is ATI MMC 8.8. 14 rar files that I installed. I kept getting an error (see first post in this thread). After many restarts, and meiing with settings, I also installed Catalyst Drives 6.11. This did not help. So I uninstalled everything I could that had anything to do with ATI MMC to start over.

Second attempt I followed Admin's suggestion and installed this:

ATI-6168package-1st-wdm.rar
ATI-6168package-2nd-wme.rar
ATI-6168package-3rd-cp.rar
ATI-6168package-4th-mdacdao.part1.rar
ATI-6168package-4th-mdacdao.part2.rar
ATI-6168package-4th-mdacdao.part3.rar

Notice 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th -- the install MUST be in that order!

I then installed MMC 8.7 (4 files) from post # 2.

Here are the errors I am getting.

When I installed MMC 8.7, I got an error for the DVD?? Cant remember what it was, but it said it would not install. I think this will be an issue since I will be doing any editing on my other PC.

SYSTEM COMPATABILITY CHECK

FAILED - "Not MMX Architecture". I would not get this error with the first install? I beleive the Q6600 is MMX. No clue how ti fix.

FAILED - As with the first install - Capture driver is not loaded nor enumerated by the..."

WARNING - Remote Wonder Not version 1.5.0.0 or more receint - Do I need this?

WARNING - DVD drive could not be detected - Currently I do not have this connected since I only have 2 SATA plugs available on the Mobo.

CAPTURE QUESTIONS

I followed Lord Smirf's video guide "Capture AVI w/ ATI All In Wonder". I created a basic capture setting. When I play the video, it shows up on the screen but:

1. While the video is playing, the "capture" (camera icon) is not available - Why?
2. How do I ensure capture will be sent to the 1TB HDD, and not the OS drive? In the settings, I have checked "Always record to temporary drive". I have the 1TB drive selected. Is this correct?

I hope this all makes sense? What do I do to fix these errors? Do I keep just reenstalling the files?

Thanks in advance,

Rappy

admin 06-19-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

2nd AVT-8710 on its way from B&H. If that is a bad unit, then I will go with a different proc amp
I'm sure you meant type timebase corrector (TBC). :)

Quote:

When I installed MMC 8.7, I got an error for the DVD
Ignore it. This is an error from the DVD player software. Once upon a time, DVD player software was expensive and there were few choices. ATI provided DVD player software for free, but only with some cards, and only available on official CD installers. VLC is modern freeware, and works much better anyway. Or GOM. Or MPlayer. Or KMPlayer. Or any number of options, both freeware and payware.

Quote:

FAILED - "Not MMX Architecture". I would not get this error with the first install? I beleive the Q6600 is MMX. No clue how ti fix
The new CPU architecture may be fooling the older card. Not sure if it can be fixed, or if it even matters.

Quote:

WARNING - Remote Wonder Not version 1.5.0.0 or more receint - Do I need this?
No, not needed. Ignore. The remote came with certain 9000 series cards. It was unimportant anyway. Mine sits in a box in the closet, and it's been there for 5+ years now.

Quote:

WARNING - DVD drive could not be detected - Currently I do not have this connected since I only have 2 SATA plugs available on the Mobo.
Not important, ignore.

Quote:

1. While the video is playing, the "capture" (camera icon) is not available - Why?
What happens with MPEG capturing?

Quote:

2. How do I ensure capture will be sent to the 1TB HDD, and not the OS drive? In the settings, I have
checked "Always record to temporary drive". I have the 1TB drive selected. Is this correct?
See the last image here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/vid...e-ati-mpeg.htm
Change the drive used for "One Touch Record".

rappy 06-19-2011 10:37 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Nothing changes when I select a different recording preset. The capture button is not available? Ugh- this is the last piece of the puzzle! Frustrated to say the least!

Ps-why don't AVI presets have "video soap"?

rappy 06-21-2011 09:30 PM

Well I have tried everything to find out why I cannot capture. I guess I will try to uninstall and reinstall the SW. should I also uninstall the video drives as well, or just the MMC software?

admin 06-22-2011 03:50 PM

VideoSoap most likely operates by reusing data already in the buffer for MPEG encoding, whereas AVI will not really buffer due to size and lack of compression taking place. The AVI is simply written, while the MPEG is pre-processed before write. VideoSoap is enabled during that pre-write process timeframe.

I'm out of ideas for why you can't capture. Removal and re-install would be my suggestion. Maybe you just missed something during the first install? I would also suggest using Windows XP SP2, maybe not SP3, if at all possible. I don't know if it would make a difference, but it might. SP3 was infamous for screwing up quite a few computers and making a lot of hardware incompatible shortly after it came out. And I don't know if any of that was later addresses with updates/patches.

rappy 06-22-2011 04:11 PM

I will try re installing the SW again before I try re installing all of XP. Should I also uninstall the video Drivers as well?

Just to be clear, what is the best version of MMC that I should use? I beleive I have 8.7?

side note - I am still looking for the internal audio cable. I did find the P/N It is very similar to the "purple cable - 600XXXXX) cant find it right this sec, but there was only one eseller that had it, and it had very bad reviews.

Not sure what else to due unless someone here has an extra laying around I can purchase - hint hint :D

rappy 06-26-2011 12:25 AM

Well, I think I have it working again. Sort of. I reinstalled the OS without SP3. I installed 8.7MMC and Catalyst (x.x?)

I just realized that if the button to the far left (above the play/pause button) is set to the "timer" looking icon, I can record. If it is a "box" then I cannot? Can anyone explain that?

I have the VCR hooked to the AVT8710 then to the AIW7500. I am now a little concerned with the TBC. I will update on the other thread.

kpmedia 06-26-2011 02:10 AM

Can you take a screen capture of what you mean, referring to the icons?

Regarding the TBC issues, keep this in mind:
At some point in July, I'll be selling two custom modified DataVideo TBC-100's. "Modified" meaning I've given them a shell and external power source. Some people may call it a "ghetto mod", but it's working quite well. I put one into production use this week, and it seems to be behaving as it should. Something to keep in mind. (Note to anybody that may want one NOW, you'll have to wait until I put them up for sale. These need to be tested, because I want to guarantee they'll work for you.)

VCR > TBC > ATI is proper setup.

Windows XP non-SP, SP1 or SP2 are the best versions of Windows to run for video work.

rappy 06-26-2011 08:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the screen shots. Look to the far left above the PAUSE button. With the "time clock Icon" I can capture. If you click the box, it changes to a "screen or square". With that displayed, you cannot. Click it again, and it goes back to the "Time clock".

kpmedia 06-27-2011 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This should be the default control:

Attachment 1601

The little "video camera" icon (above-left of the word "s-video") can be clicked to record the incoming analog signal.