digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   ATI 600 USB won't install on Windows 7 Core i7 System (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/4973-ati-600-usb.html)

AndyO6322 02-24-2013 12:32 AM

ATI 600 USB won't install on Windows 7 Core i7 System

So, I've tried multiple times to install drivers for the ATI 600 USB stick without success. Tried the LS method (creating a CD from the ISO) as described here : http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...i-600-usb.html. Have also tried the drivers on the AMD/ATI and Diamond websites. No luck :(. Time after time the message is "driver installation failed".

Here are my computer configuration details:

HP DV7 6163US Laptop
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64), 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 4 Core

After spending a bunch of money and a lot more time with nothing to show for, I'm starting to become convinced that my system/processor are not compatible with the ATI 600. Anyone have advice?

Next step is to abandon the ATI 600 USB and go with capture hardware that is from this decade and hopefully compatible with my PC. Any suggestions? I know the ATI 600 USB is the favorite of most on this forum, but I'm done banging my head against the wall trying to make it work. Using a sub-optimal capture solution is still better than having no solution at all.

All input is appreciated.

kpmedia 02-24-2013 07:45 AM

Your Windows 7 may not have admin privileges on your account. (My laptop doesn't for example.)
If not, JMP can tell you what to do. (When I need something, I just hand him my laptop. Windows 7 annoys me.)
PM him a link to this thread, ask for help.

That may be all it is. :)

AndyO6322 02-24-2013 11:40 PM

Alternatives to the ATI 600 USB

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyO6322 (Post 25209)
So, I've tried multiple times to install drivers for the ATI 600 USB stick without success...Next step is to abandon the ATI 600 USB and go with capture hardware that is from this decade and hopefully compatible with my PC. Any suggestions? I know the ATI 600 USB is the favorite of most on this forum, but I'm done banging my head against the wall trying to make it work. Using a sub-optimal capture solution is still better than having no solution at all.

I should mention that my primary objective is to capture and digitize over 100 VHS tapes (family camcorder tapes and music recordings off TV). Most of the tapes are from the '80s and early '90s. Can anyone recommend an alternative to a used ATI 600 USB stick for roughly the same cost?

Thanks everybody!

kpmedia 02-25-2013 09:20 AM

If I were you, I'd build another capture computer around Windows XP and the ATI All In Wonder AGP cards.
You can KVM the mouse, monitor, keyboard, speakers -- you just need the box.

We've had some success installing an ATI AIW in Windows 7, but it works better in Vista. It's best (native) in XP.

On a side note: We have some motherboard/CPU/RAM to give away to Premium Members soon. There's 3 here. I'd just assume give it away than sell it. You pay shipping, of course. That'll surely help some of you. I tested these back in December, and each worked. (The ones that did not, I threw away.) One per person, first come first serve.

msgohan 02-25-2013 02:00 PM

I couldn't get the LS method to work using it on Win7 on my mother's laptop. Tried a few different times.

I reverted to the INF-editing method to use the newer eMPIA drivers for the generic device.

AndyO6322 02-26-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 25261)
I couldn't get the LS method to work using it on Win7 on my mother's laptop. Tried a few different times.

I reverted to the INF-editing method to use the newer eMPIA drivers for the generic device.

Thanks msgohan for your input. It's good to know that I'm not going nuts :screwy: and that others have had similar issues using the Lordsmurf downloads with Win 7. I just wish I knew there was an issue before I spent money on an ATI 600 USB stick.

I'm not familiar with the "INF-editing method" you described. Would you please provide a little more information. Right now I'm shut down until I find a new capture method.

Thanks,

JasonCA 02-26-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyO6322 (Post 25275)
Thanks msgohan for your input. It's good to know that I'm not going nuts :screwy: and that others have had similar issues using the Lordsmurf downloads with Win 7. I just wish I knew there was an issue before I spent money on an ATI 600 USB stick.

I'm not familiar with the "INF-editing method" you described. Would you please provide a little more information. Right now I'm shut down until I find a new capture method.

Thanks,

there is nothing wrong with Lordsmurf's downloads for Win 7. You probably are doing something wrong and/or don't have a clear understanding of how to install or even use the ATI USB stick.

To me, it's not clear to me how you are installing the drivers or proving it doesn't work. maybe walk us through your steps.

msgohan 02-26-2013 02:51 AM

Here is a quote of me quoting someone else regarding the other install method, that worked for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by me
The AMD forum post that's a dead link now... I'll quote it since I saved the page months back. The specific driver link given is out-of-date as there have been several revisions since then. You don't need to install the Vista driver as "step 0" despite what he says -- just select the appropriate yellow exclamation'd device in the Device Manager.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBensimon
I noticed yesterday that, after promising in a posting late last year that it would happen some time in the 1st quarter of 2010, AMD/ATI has changed its tune about making Windows 7 drivers available for the TV Wonder 600 USB tuner (and others) and now says in a recent posting (see http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...erDrivers.aspx) that "Windows 7 Tuner drivers for the products listed below are not available. There are no plans for driver development at this time". Bummer!

Thankfully, the 600 USB tuner is based on the USB2883 device from EETI/eMPIA (http://home.eeti.com.tw/) and they've had Windows 7 WHQL-certified (both 32-bit and 64-bit) for the generic device since late December 2009. Given the minimal amount of work AMD would have to do to package these drivers for the 600 USB tuner, their apparent decision not to do it is rather baffling. Anyway, it's easy enough to make the eMPIA driver work (the only real issue is the fact that the Plug-n-Play ID of the ATI device is not the same as the eMPIA generic device):

(1) From the EETI home page given above, click the "Video/Audio Drivers" link, then download the driver package labeled "BDA_120209_UAC" (the 12/02/09 date could change in future revisions). Here's a direct link to the current version of this package: http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/driver...120209_UAC.zip.

(2) Unzip the download to a temporary folder and run the included Setup.exe. This really only extracts the driver package to "\Program Files\USB_video_device" (or "\Program Files (x86)\USB_video_device" on 64-bit Windows). Ignore the request to restart, it's just designed to let the system find the driver upon reboot, but it's not yet ready for that.

(3) In the above "USB_video_device" folder, navigate to the "Driver\Driver32" or "Driver\Driver64" subfolder (depending on platform) and find the file EMBDA.INF or EMBDA64.INF. Open the file in notepad and find the line
%USB2883.DeviceDesc% = USB2883,USB\VID_EB1A&PID_2883

Copy the line and insert the copy as a new identical line below the original line, then in this new line change "VID_EB1A&PID_2883" (the eMPIA PnP ID for the device) to "VID_0438&PID_B002" (the ATI PnP ID for the TV Wonder 600 USB). Save the updated .inf file.

(4) Now open Device Manager and find the ATI TV Wonder 600 USB device -- it should be there under "Sound, video and game controllers" if you've previously installed the Vista version of the 600 USB driver downloaded from ATI (your only option up till now -- if you haven't done this, do this first as step (0)). Right-click the device and select "Update Driver Software", then click "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". On the next screen, click "Have Disk..." and browse to the folder containing the modified .inf file from the previous step and click OK. The resulting dialog will offer a driver called "USB 2883 Device" and a warning that "This driver is not digitally signed!". Actually, the driver and all its files are signed, but the modification of the .inf file is enough to make the driver be considered unsigned -- This can safely be ignored, so select the driver and click Next, accepting any further warnings and finish the driver update wizard.

(5) Reboot now and confirm that the driver loaded properly at restart by going back to Device Manager and making sure that the "USB 2883 Device" (Device Manager's new name for your ATI tuner) does not have a yellow or red warning icon. The tuner should work perfectly in Windows Media Center (and also in ATI's Catalyst Media Center from the original CD, updated via the update available for download from ATI).

By the way, as I went through this process on 64-bit Windows 7, I was convinced I'd also at some point have to take extraordinary steps to force Windows to accept the unsigned driver since it is my understanding that 64-bit Windows 7 requires signed drivers (there are ways to put Windows in a "driver testing" mode to allow the loading of unsigned drivers), but to my surprise the system is quite happy to hum along with this "unsigned" driver. I'm not sure whether this leniency is the result of the fact that all the files that make up the driver are in fact signed (as you can tell from the "certificate" icon next to each file in the driver details dialog of the device's Properties in Device Manager) or whether a USB tuner device is not considered sufficiently critical to a system's operation to warrant throwing a fit over its driver (doubtful - a bad driver can bring down a system no matter what its purpose), but there you have it.

Another note for those who may be concerned that the "generic" eMPIA driver may not take into account some ATI-specific customization of the USB2883 device in the TV Wonder 600: I've done a comparison of the ATI Vista driver for the device and the new Windows 7-capable driver from eMPIA, specifically their .inf files which contain (among other things) a slew of Registry "tweaks" that define device behavior and various options: except for a very few new items in the Windows 7 version, all the existing settings are identical between the two driver versions. There is also a .rom file in both drivers that, I surmise, might contain some firmware code for the device - though named differently, the two versions of the file are bit-for-bit identical.

Good luck,
Jacques.

lordsmurf 02-26-2013 07:13 AM

I've done this on more than 10 computers. My method works.
If it won't work for you, you're doing something wrong. (Don't get defensive!) Just step us through what you're doing. Leave nothing out.

We can hopefully help you get it installed. :congrats:

msgohan 02-26-2013 01:09 PM

Not sure if you still want me chiming in or just OP, but I followed the instructions exactly, twice, and both just hung midway with 50% CPU usage. Killed the process after 15 mins.

I've used your method before too but this computer just wouldn't do it.

JMP 02-26-2013 02:11 PM

Before I can move on with giving my own help, I need to know a couple of things, does your Windows user account have administrator rights? And do you have UAC (User Account Control) turned on?
A lot of times a program won't install properly if it isn't installed as an admin, and UAC can cause its own bit of problems as well (not to mention UAC is rather annoying in my eyes).

AndyO6322 02-26-2013 03:35 PM

Hi JMP, thanks for trying to help.

I am the only user account on my laptop and I have Administrator rights.

I checked my UAC setting and it is set for "Always Notify" which, I believe, is the most restrictive setting. Do you think this may be the problem?

Thanks for taking the time to help out. Much appreciated.

AndyO6322

AndyO6322 02-26-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 25279)
Here is a quote of me quoting someone else regarding the other install method, that worked for me

Thanks msgohan. If all else fails I will try your alternate install method. Appreciate you taking the time to try to help out. :salute:

JMP 02-26-2013 05:51 PM

UAC can be very restrictive and annoying, I recommend setting it to NEVER NOTIFY and leave it at that. If you have a good antivirus and firewall, that's all you need.

Set the UAC to Never Notify, reboot, then try again with the install.
You may also want to try this driver set as well.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...-Bit%20Edition (Follow steps in post #18 for this)
And use the 64 bit Vista driver.

AndyO6322 02-26-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 25285)
Just step us through what you're doing. Leave nothing out.

We can hopefully help you get it installed. :congrats:

Thanks Lordsmurf. I've tried to capture all the steps. I've tried the whole process several times, doing a system restore between attempts to undo any changes done to my PC. I tried the CD method (created from the ISO image made from the 15 WinRAR files) described in your 5/25/11 post (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3136-ati-600-usb.html#post15888) as well as using the "10-4_vista32-64_t600usb_wdm" file created from the 2 Win RAR files from your 4/28/11 post (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3070-ati-600-card.html#post15505).

The details on my OS (version) and PC type (processor type, etc.) are listed in the OP in case there is something particular to my hardware that is causing the problem.

Here is a step-by-step description of my installation attempts:

1. Downloaded the two files:
ATI 600 USB Drivers for Windows 7 x64 (or Vista64).part1.rar (21.00 MB, 214 downloads)
ATI 600 USB Drivers for Windows 7 x64 (or Vista64).part2.rar (20.94 MB, 190 downloads)
from Post #9 of thread ATI 600 card doesn’t work in Windows 7, how to use?
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3070-ati-600-card.html#post15505
2. Used WinRar to create file : 10-4_vista32-64_t600usb_wdm
3. Right clicked and ran in compatibility mode (Vista SP2)
4. Ran Express Install
5. Install finished and got option to view install log. Log as shown here:

Existing packages
AVIVO64

Packages for install
ATI Catalyst Install Manager
Final Status: Success
Version of Item: 3.0.769.0
Size: 20 Mbytes

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable
Version of Item: 9.0.30729.4148
Size: 7 Mbytes

6. Ran E:\Install\XP\CMC\Setup from the CD (burned from ISO image). Finished and got option to view
install log. Log as shown here:

Existing packages
ATI Catalyst Install Manager
AVIVO64
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable

Packages for install
Catalyst Media Center
Version of Item: 4210.00.00.00
Size: 10 Mbytes

7. Plugged ATI600USB stick into USB port. “Installing Device Driver Software” action box appears in
taskbar. Then the message “Device Installation Failed : No Drivers” appeared.

The entire process was repeated by using the CD burned from the ISO image created from the 15 downloaded files in the original thread ATI 600 USB video capture card drivers + Catalyst Media Center [DOWNLOAD]. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3136-ati-600-usb.html#post15888

The result was the same. “Device Installation Failed : No Drivers”

Please review these steps and let me know what the problem might be. Appreciate you taking a look.

AndyO6322

JMP 02-27-2013 03:51 AM

I would recommend trying a new install with the device plugged in before install, and using the installer from the CD, should be located in \Install\Vista\Bin64 and run Setup.exe

If in the end it still does not work, then you may have to manually install the driver via windows Device Manager.

AndyO6322 02-27-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMP (Post 25304)
I would recommend trying a new install with the device plugged in before install, and using the installer from the CD, should be located in \Install\Vista\Bin64 and run Setup.exe

If in the end it still does not work, then you may have to manually install the driver via windows Device Manager.

Thanks JMP, I will go through the process with the device plugged in first. The reason I did it the other way is that the user guide that came with the device made a strong point about installing software/drivers first before plugging in; but it's worth a try. BTW, changing the UAC settings to Never Notify didn't seem to help.

Thanks,

AndyO6322

JMP 02-27-2013 09:55 PM

I was able to install this on 2 different computers running Windows 7 x64 without a problem.
With the downloaded driver from ATI there is an extra step.
After you run the installer and it installs, you need to navigate to "C:\ATI\Support\10-4_vista32-64_t600usb_wdm\Packages\Drivers\WDM\TVW_HSUSB\TVWH SUSB" and run setup.exe
This will install the driver for windows to recognize the device.
For CMC you will still need to use the CD image as mentioned in the original guide.

If you decide to use the driver install from the CD image and it does not recognize the device after install for some reason, you will need to navigate to "\Install\Vista\Packages\Drivers\WDM\TVW_HSUSB" and run setup.exe

If you follow these steps and are still having problems let me know.

AndyO6322 02-27-2013 11:37 PM

JMP, I ran the additional setup.exe as you described in your post #18 after a fresh install of the drivers from the AMD/ATI support website. When I run setup.exe it gives me the option to Modify, Repair, or Remove the USB Driver Setup. I tried both Modify and Repair, but still no success. The "ATI TV Wonder 600 USB 2.0" icon appears in the Device and Printers window but it has a ! mark over it indicating that drivers are not installed.

Is the Modify, Repair, Remove screen what you saw when you ran setup.exe?

Thanks,
AndyO6322

-- merged --

SUCCESS!

I tried the EETI inf file method msgohan described in post #8 and it worked perfectly: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post25279

Thank you msgohan and everyone else who offered suggestions.

kcmom 03-18-2013 03:23 PM

After trying to install the ATI 600 USB all day on my Windows 7 Home Premium computer, and having it hang up time after time, I finally read this thread again. All I had to do was pay attention!!:o I went to user accounts and changed the user account controll settings to Never Notify as recommended by JMP in post #14 (also had device plugged in - post #16). It worked and is now installed!! On to the next step...thanks so much!:)

*I wasn't sure whether to post this here so feel free to delete or move it.