digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Edit Video, Audio (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-editing/)
-   -   How to create mix DVDs, compilation DVDs? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-editing/1459-how-create-mix.html)

admin 06-04-2009 08:57 AM

How to create mix DVDs, compilation DVDs?

moved from PM...

Quote:

Hey man.
I've got a q...as you know by listening to the audio of my videos that I sent you, I make a lot of compliation videos. The one you listened to was my set that I made of one character, I have almost 500 videos of his on that 26 video set. I want to not only put that on DVD, as you know, but I also want to make other comps for others. I have a huge video collection, and I could make some great comp sets because of that, but here's my q...
How do I take pieces from different DVDs, and combine them onto another DVD?
For example..Let's say I have 1 clip from a DVD, and 1 clip from another DVD, how do I take clip of the DVD 1, then take the other clip off the DVD 2, and put them both onto 1 blank DVD? What programs and techniques do I need to use for this?

Also......should I worry about bitrates when I do this? I would say each match has an average of 10-30 min or so..

I hope all of that makes sense :D
Makes perfect sense. :)

All you have to do is follow the extraction guides:

Extract Video from a Professional DVD: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/edit-dvd.htm
or Edit DVD from DVD Recorder (or most other homemade DVDs): http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...d-recorder.htm

Then take those assets and author into a new disc. :cool:

Superstar 06-11-2009 03:12 PM

2 questions...
1. - In DVD Decrypter, under the "Input" window, where it shows on the bottom left window all of the chapters on the DVD, they are all selected....since I'm only going to want 1 of them for my compliation DVD, would I uncheck all of the other ones, and just leave the chapter I want checked?
For example, Chapter 5 is what I want for the comp. DVD, so do I leave Chapter 5 checkmarked, and uncheck the rest of the chapters?

2.- If the answer is leave chapter 5 checkmarked only in question 1, in the top window it says VTS_01 and under it, it has PGC 1 which is the main movie, do I leave that highlighted?

admin 06-11-2009 08:13 PM

1. Only checkmark what you want to rip.

2. I don't think the question makes any sense to me. Again, check what you want to keep.

Superstar 06-11-2009 08:54 PM

In the top window it says VTS_01 and under it, it has PGC 1 which is the main movie, and all the what I assume are extras under it, but PGC 1 is the only one highlighted, do I leave that highlighted since I'm only ripping 1 chapter and not the whole movie?

admin 06-12-2009 02:55 AM

Take a screenshot and post.

Superstar 06-12-2009 03:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is from the guide. See where it says at the top PGC 1 [01:39:17] It said in this example PGC 1 is the movie,and the others are extras. Underneath that window in the lower left is all of the chapters.
Mine matched this, except mine said 02:45 for my movie, and I had the chapters underneath as well...
My question is...do Iworry about the PGC 1? It appears to be highlighted in the guide, and it was in mine also so, should I just ignore that, and just uncheck the chapters that I don't need in the bottom left window and go from there?

admin 06-12-2009 04:04 AM

You're thinking too hard again. That's not important, no.

Superstar 02-22-2010 12:41 AM

Let's say that I want to take a clip from a DVD, but the DVD isn't split up into menus...it's just continous play like a VCR video, but there's several clips on the video. How do I take just 1 out?
The questions that I asked above are about DVDs that have menus on them, so I could just navigate to the clip that I want and do it that way, but I'm unable to on this particular DVD because it doesn't have menus.

Also, in the above posts, you included a link to a guide to edit professionally made DVDs, and the other for DVD Recorded made DVDs. All of my DVDs that I made, I did on my computer, and not on a DVD recorder, so should I follow the professionally made guide?

admin 02-22-2010 12:55 AM

IFO-mode rip each clip separate with DVD Decrypter.
If it's just one long video -- not separate pieces -- then you'll have to chop it up in Womble.

The "DVD recorder" guide is good for virtually any homemade DVD. It's a simple extraction method for simple-made discs.

The professional guide is mostly aimed at complex studio-made DVDs that have subtitles, multi audio, etc. An attempt to extract with simple methods would make a mess that you couldn't edit or re-author (either at all, or easily).

I work with studios, and some of their discs are simple authored. On the other hand, some of my personal family projects are very complex, and the simple extraction method would fail. It really just depends on how it's built, to determine how it gets un-built.

Superstar 02-22-2010 01:18 AM

"IFO-mode rip each clip separate with DVD Decrypter.
If it's just one long video -- not separate pieces -- then you'll have to chop it up in Womble."

Just to clarify, when you said IFO Mode, rip each clip seperate..what were you thinking the DVD was...just so we're on the same page...did you think it had menus where I could just select which clip I wanted, or did you think it's all continual play with no menus?

The DVDs that I'm referring to are one long video, it has no menus. You put it in the DVD player, and it just starts playing, just like a VCR video would.

When I chop it up in Womble, say there's 2 clips from the video, but one is 10 min. into the video, and the other is 1 hr into the video...would I seperate the first clip xport it, then go back and do the other clip, or would I do them both at the same time?

admin 02-22-2010 02:20 PM

In IFO mode, menus don't matter. Those are usually stored in a separate VTS entirely.

At this time, you really need to put a disc in the computer, click a few buttons in the programs mentioned, and see what happens.
I can't explain it anymore.

You can edit however you want.

Superstar 02-22-2010 06:49 PM

I was able to get a clip ripped off the original DVD, just how I wanted, but I went to rename it after I ripped it, so I'd know what it was, and a warning came up that said -
If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Do you want to contiue?
I clicked yes, and it immediately became unusable.
After I ripped it, it was saved as VTS_02_1.VOB
I wanted to rip several clips at the same time so I can more done at once, but I also wanted to rename them, so I'll know what they are..is there anyway I can do this?

admin 02-22-2010 07:09 PM

Correct:
  • oldfile.vob
  • newfile.vob
Wrong:
  • oldfile.vob
  • newfile

Superstar 02-22-2010 08:02 PM

Thanks.
Can I still seperate the audio from this ripped clip to restore it like I would with a regular DVD that I would make?

Superstar 02-22-2010 08:58 PM

This might be kind of a confusing question, but I'll try to make it easy to understand.

When I capture, I do so with the bitrate 15,000, and 720x480, as you suggested. I then encode it in MC to 352x480, and then whatever bitrate I need to use for the particular DVD.

The DVD that I just ripped the clip from is a compliation DVD, made on a DVD recorder I'm assuming, and it's a single layer DVD...so, I'm assuming that particular clip is 352x480, but I don't know what the bitrate is.

My problem is, I would like to encode this clip because it's from 1984, and good quality for it's age but I think encoding it might make it a little better. As I stated earlier, when I capture it's with the 720x480 with the 15,000 bitrate. I've never encoded a video that I captured with the settings of 352x480 and a bitrate of 3200-3500 because that is settings that I always encode it to, and I'm assuming that's what the size and bitrate of this clip already is.
Can I encode this somehow, and if I can encode it, what bitrate would I use in MC? Or should I just leave it alone and try as best I can to restore the audio?

I'm going to have this problem with probably 400-450 clips out of the around 600 that will be on this set that I'm making.

admin 02-22-2010 09:15 PM

Without filtering, re-encoding won't help anything.

Be smart with this stuff, you've been working on it for a year now. Don't push the square peg in the round hole.

Just because the video is 352x480 doesn't mean the bitrate is 3200-3500 or whatever else.

Just muddle through it, and see what problems happen. Address them as you come to them. Don't always try to over-plan the project. Yes, this may involve trial-and-error and the associated "wasted time" of throwing away material that didn't turn out good (and do it again with other settings).

Trying to teach you how to fish.

Superstar 02-22-2010 09:36 PM

I haven't actually directly worked on it yet..I've just been gathering notes, and learning from doing smaller projects before I felt I was ready to jump into this set.

Can I rip the audio from each clip and restore it?

When you said filtering..what did you mean? I've never done that. I'm guessing if I learned how to do that, it would take me forever to do that to this set since it's so big..

admin 02-22-2010 09:38 PM

Filtering video, restoring quality in software -- it'd probably take you a long time to learn it, yes. It's not easy.

Sure, rip audio and restore it, go for it.

Superstar 02-23-2010 12:47 AM

Some of the clips that I'm going to take directly from the VHS video, I'll be able to capture it as 720x480 with the 15,000 bitrate...
However...some of them also will only be like 8-10 min a clip...when I encode one of those clips that is like 8 min, what is the max bitrate that I should use for a clip that small in length?
I've never encoded one that small before, so I wanted to see what you thought.

Superstar 02-23-2010 02:06 AM

Another problem that I'm having that I just now found out about is, I'm trying to rip a full DVD to my hard drive as you told me to do because it doesn't have any menus, I'm trying to do it with DVD Fab, and everytime I click the start button, it says no writeable media found in my drive, and it ejects the DVD that I'm trying to rip..it's done it like 10 times in a row now..I've never had this problem before with DVDFab, and I don't know why it's doing this now..