digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Edit Video, Audio (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-editing/)
-   -   How to edit DVD, use clips in Powerpoint or Youtube for classroom presentation? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-editing/3622-how-edit-dvd.html)

kpmedia 11-03-2011 06:52 AM

How to edit DVD, use clips in Powerpoint or Youtube for classroom presentation?

Quote:

I need to be able to edit the movie cars (from DVD format). I need to take clips and put it into power point. If I need to upload to youtube and link to there I can. My bigger problem is I need to find a free easy to use video editing software. Do you have any suggestions?
Continued from email...

If you separate each step, rather than squash everything into a single "video editing" step, it will be easier, and there's plenty of freeware to meets yours needs on this.

You'll need these freeware programs:
Step 1: Extracting the DVD video clips

Getting the video off a disc can be one of the more non-obvious issues. Generally, for most DVDs, the tried-and-true freeware DVD Decrypter will do what's needed. You'll simply extract the video via IFO mode, using Decrypter, followed by VobEdit to properly select the English audio channels only (and stereo, not 5.1, if possible). Follow this easy guide: How to Edit Video from Pre-Recorded DVD on a Computer.

If the DVD has more aggressive anti-copy protections, you'll need to do a somewhat more round-about process.
  • Use the freeware version of DVDFab (DVDFab HD Decrypter), and rip the disc to files. If you're installing DVDFab for the first time, it operates in trial mode, and by default may try to "shrink" a DVD9 to DVD5 size, and we don't want to waste time doing that. The option is obvious.
  • After the disc is ripped, remake a new ISO file with the freeware ImgBurn (download; see the attachment at bottom of the post).
  • Mount that ISO as a virtual DVD drive, using the freeware tool GizmoDrive.
  • Then follow the aforementioned DVD Decrypter / VobEdit guide, ripping the video via IFO mode, but from a virtual unprotected DVD instead of the actual "uncopyable" DVD.
You should end up with a single VOB file for the movie, ripped to the folder you chose in VirtualDub. If you have more than one VOB file, then you did something wrong in the DVD Decrypter settings, and need to redo it. You cannot work from the split VOB file set.

Step 2: Edit video clips in VirtualDub.

This is fairly easy and straight-forward:
  • Download our customized version of VirtualDub. Install it. Also install the Huffyuv codec.
  • Open the single ripped VOB file in VirtualDub. It will take several minutes.
  • Go to Video > Color Depth > and change the setting to 4:2:2 YUY2 on the left side, and not use automatic decompression. This avoids the MPEG colorspace misinterpretation issue bug known to exist in VirtualDub.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since I know the source is the NTSC release of Cars, I'm skipping deinterlacing steps that would be required for many common sources. Converted VHS tapes, for example (assuming the conversion was done properly, and NOT deinterlaced). That would have involved some Avisynth work for quality deinterlacing, or some internal VirtualDub filters for "good enough" quality.
  • Using the slider at the bottom of VirtualDub, mark in and mark out the segments you want to use.
  • Ideally, you also want to go to Video > Filters > Resize, and resize the video for 640x360 resolution. You'll need to select the Aspect Ratio "disabled" radio button before you're able to change the video from 720x480 (3x2 MPEG-2 DVD-Video storage) to 640x360 (proper 1:1 16x9 pixel size for Youtube and desktop video). New size is Absolute Pixels.
  • Go to Video > Compression > and pick Huffyuv for your codec
  • Then File > Save as AVI, to save your clip

Step 3: Encode to Youtube or PowerPoint video specs

Use the freeware Avidemux; download and install it.
  • File > Open your video.
  • Notice on the left side of the software, after the video clip is opened, you'll see "Copy" as the method for Video and Audio, and "AVI" as the Format. We'll change each of these.
  • For Youtube, it's going to be MPEG-4 AVC video, AAC (Faac) audio, and MP4 format.
  • For PowerPoint, it's going to be MPEG-1 (mpeg2nc) video, MP3 (lame) audio, and MPEG video format.
  • In the interest of not making this guide more complicated than it already is, we'll not worry about clicking Configure and configuring advanced encoding options. For something as small as video clips used to teach in class, the limits, bitrates and other values will suffice quite fine for your needs. If you were a hobbyist seeking advanced quality, and desiring the best possible output, then we'd probably double this guide (or split into multiple guides, complete with images).

Disclaimer: Yes, this guide uses software like DVD Decrypter to break so-called "copy protections", but this post is in direct response to a high school educator seeking to exercise his fair-use rights of media for an educational environment. Generally speaking, we neither condone nor support any malicious or illicit use of commercial videos for the purpose of piracy or negligent misuse of intellectual property. This guide, in and of itself, is also a teaching tool.

I'm curious to know what you're teaching, and how Cars fits into the syllabus. :cool:

Warning to those who would claim this method is too long: This guide was written for a specific person I know, and I know he values proper methods. For anybody else reading this post, looking for a "quick" method, I only have one comment for you: Quit being lazy! If you want a high quality and free method of converting a DVD to Youtube or Powerpoint, it won't get any better than this. Be warned that there are some low-cost crappy Chinese programs out there, promising easy perfect quality (all lies, I assure you), waiting for a sucker like you to buy (or install a "free" spamware-ridden program, so it's really not free).

segen77 11-03-2011 08:00 PM

Holy crap on a cracker that's a lot of steps. lol. please see my emailed response. :D

Just to clear this up, it's being used for a middle school educators PPT. I just got roped into it. I actually remembered I have a program called DVD Catalyst that I may be able to get the movie to Mpeg format. I was then going to try to use movie maker to cut out the scenes needed. If this doesn't work I'll follow your steps.

You would think by now, I would just do what you suggest instead of jacking with something else, wasting time, and then going back to your suggestion. Guess I just haven't learned my lesson.

Thanks as always.

kpmedia 11-04-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by segen77 (Post 17913)
please see my emailed response. :D

While it would be nice if Bill Gates and the late Steve Jobs could read our minds, that comes with the dual problem of them harvesting our thoughts and selling them to advertisers. "Dear sir, we know you like to dream about ____, so here's our latest catalog."

Quote:

I just got roped into it.
Hahaha... sucker. :P

Quote:

I actually remembered I have a program called DVD Catalyst that I may be able to get the movie to Mpeg format.
DVD Catalyst = cheap Chinese crapware.

Quote:

I was then going to try to use movie maker to cut out the scenes needed. If this doesn't work I'll follow your steps.
If it comes as part of the Windows operating systems, it's not any good. For example, WordPad is a lousy word processor, Outlook Express is a horrible email program, and IE is a lousy web browser. Mac is only marginally better. Linux is all packaged freeware, and quality of integrated release apps varies.

Quote:

You would think by now, I would just do what you suggest instead of jacking with something else, wasting time, and then going back to your suggestion. Guess I just haven't learned my lesson.
You should know after 20+ years that, if there's an easier quality way, I'd be doing it. :thumb:

Now just think of all the other things you could be doing with that wasted time.
My method seriously won't take more than an hour or so. (And in the world of video, that's hellishly fast!)