digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Edit Video, Audio (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-editing/)
-   -   Dot-dash line removal (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-editing/827-dot-dash-line.html)

manthing 06-07-2006 04:59 PM

dot-dash line removal

peeps,

have got a dot-dashed line at the top left hand side of my capture.

is "masking" the way to remove it?
i.e. tmpgenc black mask method?

and is this the quickest method as i don't want to spend ages re-encoding the capture?

ta for advise in advance.

lordsmurf 06-08-2006 10:44 AM

You have to mask with a re-encode. It's just overscan anyway, won't show up on tv. That is the visual noise created by closed captions. It appears on pretty much all tv signals. I would just leave it alone, you won't see it on tv anyway.

debwalsh 06-08-2006 11:30 AM

Yes, you can. I'm the one who pointed it out on the test disc MT sent me - the image is letterboxed widescreen on my normal TV (circa 1991), and the stuttering white line is very distracting. Image quality is lovely but it's bracketed by this great honkin' line.

markatisu 06-08-2006 02:49 PM

In that case you will have to re-encode, howeever it sounds as if it was taken from either an HD feed or was not broadcast correctly because on a proper HD set or proper broadcast you would not see that line since its "NOT" supposed to be seen, I know because I have HD and non HD and I only see that stuff when I watch HD stuff on the non-HD tv since it shows the overscan

lordsmurf 06-08-2006 04:13 PM

HD broadcasts should not show CC noise at all. So I don't know what went on there.

markatisu 06-08-2006 04:36 PM

They do show it if it is not decoded correctly (meaning you have the HDTV box but a regular TV) or the show is being broadcast on an HD channel but was not recorded in HD

I can show you through some screencaps if you want to see more

manthing 06-08-2006 04:38 PM

2 points:

[1] these are recordings direct from over the air digital to my jvc dvd recorder on xp setting. maybe tv comepanies over here are not sending out signals correctly? and as far as i know, it not HD.

[2] okay, regardless, i have to re-encode. so be it.

i thank you for the advise, for giving it to me (sung to tune of abba's thank you for the music...)

markatisu 06-08-2006 04:45 PM

I would wager anything the tv company is sending out the signal wrong, GR1 and I were talking about that several times. As the tv companies switch to HD standard programming they sometimes mess up regular signals.

At times they crop wrong, the audio can come through messed up as well. Seen it alot while switching from HD to regular, its a network issue.

But glad we could help in telling you that basically you have to re-encode lol

manthing 06-08-2006 07:53 PM

okay, before i completely butcher the capture, what settings do i use for tmpgenc? do i leave everything as default bar the masking?

any site(s) that show a join-the-dots steps?

debs, did you call me MT ... empty?!

reminds me of when i was at university. had a class where lecturer had written M to the power T as part of an equation.

he called a mate of mine to the front and was quizzing him on the equation and in doing so asked, "What is MT?"

quick as a flash, someone else volunteered, "His head!". beautiful!

lordsmurf 06-08-2006 08:14 PM

Be sure to mask 2 lines at a time.

manthing 06-08-2006 10:00 PM

err sorry love smurf .. wot dos mask 2 lines at a time mean? in spanglish please. me fikko.

lordsmurf 06-08-2006 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 237

In 2's, pairs, even numbers.
Not odd, singles.