digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Is this video color stripe fixable? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/5873-video-color-stripe.html)

premiumcapture 04-28-2014 05:49 PM

Is this video color stripe fixable?

1 Attachment(s)
This comes from a DVD copy of a VHS played on apparently a very poor VCR.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/imag.../2ptounm-1.png

Deinterlacing minimizes but the issue is still present, but it runs through the entire tape.

premiumcapture 04-29-2014 10:03 AM

Camcorder color denoiser actually took the color away from the stripe, so in this scene and many others it is much less noticeable, but on opaque, single color title pages, there is a dark line where it was. I imagine this must be a very dirty VCR.

Will post my results.

lordsmurf 05-01-2014 06:44 AM

I doubt that's a dirty VCR -- it looks like tape degradation.
What brand of tape was that? I doubt it was a good TDK, JVC, or 90s generation Silver/Gold/HiFi Maxell.
Was it a cheap Sony?
It's hard to tell if the grain is from a tape, or from a recording mode. If it's SP, that looks like a crappy Fuji tape.

premiumcapture 05-01-2014 06:52 AM

One of the actors from power rangers sells this vhs on a dvd as a bootleg, the source tape was recorded and sold in EP. I noticed the disc was named dvdirect7848484 or something, so I imagine he plays the tape and presses record each time.

Camcorder color denoise took out the color, but there is still a dark streak. Neatvideo when properly takes care of it for the most part, but I might try out checkmate with avisynth and a few others youve mentioned.

premiumcapture 05-01-2014 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is with CCD applied, much better but there is still a slight dark line

kpmedia 05-01-2014 07:26 AM

Those chroma blips tend to only last a few frames at most. When watching the video, do you even see it anymore? I doubt it. I would even know there's a problem on that screencap if I didn't know the whole story.

Don't overprocess video in the futile attempt to make it perfect. Just make it better. ;)

themaster1 05-01-2014 08:12 AM

should be removable.
video sample please

premiumcapture 05-01-2014 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a minute made in Handbrake. I tried to pick out a spot where it shows throughout different scenes.

I used a combo of camcorder color denoise and then neatvideo and it cleaned it up significantly, but please share if theres a better way.

thanks!

themaster1 05-03-2014 09:52 AM

good news is this stripe (the middle stripe i'm talking) is only present on UV, bad news is it's on all frames so good luck to get rid of it.
Now that i think about it maybe some kind of delogo filter would do it, it's not gonna be a piece of cake no matter which way to take the stick.
If you want to filter only the stripe zone you can use this:

Code:

DirectShowSource("sample.mp4",fps=29.970)
assumetff()
converttoyv12(interlaced=true)

# for the horizontal stripe
X1 = 0
Y1 = 176
X2 = 720
Y2 = 184

# Make the values MOD4

X1 = X1 - (X1 % 4)
Y1 = Y1 - (y1 % 4)
X2 = (X2 + 3) / 4 * 4
Y2 = (Y2 + 3) / 4 * 4

Active = crop(X1,Y1,X2-X1,Y2-Y1)
Above = Y1 > 0 ? crop(0,0,width(),Y1) : NOP
Below = Y2 < height() ? crop(0,Y2,width(),height()-Y2) : NOP
Left = X1 > 0 ? crop(0,Y1,X1,Y2-Y1) : NOP
Right = X2 < width() ? crop(X2,Y1,width()-X2,Y2-Y1) : NOP
Last = Active

######################
# Change below, put whatever filter you need (mergechroma+fft3dfilter is not working here):

mergechroma(last)
fft3dfilter(bt=4,sigma=19,plane=3,degrid=1)
mergeluma(last)

######################

IsClip(Left) ? StackHorizontal(Left, Last) : NOP
IsClip(Right) ? StackHorizontal(Last, Right) : NOP
IsClip(Above) ? StackVertical(Above, Last) : NOP
IsClip(Below) ? StackVertical(Last, Below) : NOP

return Last

volksjager 05-03-2014 01:28 PM

looks to me like the source VHS has a crease in the tape, probably played it in a shitty deck with a bad pinch roller.
ive had a few tapes like that

premiumcapture 05-03-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themaster1 (Post 31730)
good news is this stripe (the middle stripe i'm talking) is only present on UV, bad news is it's on all frames so good luck to get rid of it.
Now that i think about it maybe some kind of delogo filter would do it, it's not gonna be a piece of cake no matter which way to take the stick.
If you want to filter only the stripe zone you can use this:

What would be left in its place? Would it be a dark line, or would it appear untouched?

themaster1 05-08-2014 12:05 PM

ideally it should be removed, take a look here:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...ghlight=stripe

Like i said the problem on your video is that the stripe is on all frames so i don't see how you could remove that at the moment

premiumcapture 05-08-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themaster1 (Post 31790)
ideally it should be removed, take a look here:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...ghlight=stripe

Like i said the problem on your video is that the stripe is on all frames so i don't see how you could remove that at the moment

Camcorder color denoise will take the color away, but it leaves a dark line. Using neatvideo, it will fill it in at the expense of detail. I will try this this weekend and report back.

lordsmurf 07-23-2014 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by premiumcapture (Post 31797)
I will try this this weekend and report back.

I think the weekend is over now. :P

What's the verdict on this?

premiumcapture 07-23-2014 07:49 AM

CCD removed the color from the stripe, neat video sampling the dark part blurred it away and it looked fine and took out the noise that i needed to take out anyways.