digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Project Planning, Workflows (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/)
-   -   Video conversion: Line TBC vs Full Frame TBC (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/3895-video-conversion-line.html)

Mejnour 02-01-2012 02:40 AM

Video conversion: Line TBC vs Full Frame TBC

Hello lordsmurf,

You seem to be the King of the place, or one of the kings.

In the user guide about full frame TBC, it is good for "old VHS" (jitter or bouncing). I read that your work flow include systematically a Line TBC and Full Frame TBC.

I would like to know if Full frame TBC can be optionnal because I think that I have good signal in my VHS tapes. All VHS-PAL tape that have been used 1 time to record in SP mode. They have been played very few time.
Actually I put a lot of hope in my HR-S7600EK to play with IQ. I would like to get a better deck (S9XXX serie), but as far as I know, the only advantage seem to be the drum system, it may be a big advantage....but to be honest I have no clue.

I read about loseless compression format possibility of Huffyuv. Then I looked at PAL capture card. I don't know if it's me but it seem that ATI model that have been mention on this forum are hard to find.
I don't know if you can suggest me or link me a list of respected captures cards (priority PAL; but if it can do NTSC too would be a +).

My personnal computer have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 card tuner...I have no clue if it's good, anyway I think that if it have capture capability it will be only in NTSC.

Many interrogations but I am not hurry to get your opinion.

Merry Christmas

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

lordsmurf 02-01-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

You seem to be the King of the place, or one of the kings.
"I'm the king, baby!" :p

Quote:

I read that your work flow include systematically a Line TBC and Full Frame TBC.
It has to. Two TBCs for two separate tasks.
- The line TBC is for cleaning the image quality.
- The external full frame TBC / frame sync is for correcting signal problems.

I know that you're reading this older workflow guide: Good Methods to Create DVDs (Video Workflows)
While accurate and helpful, this is being expanded soon.

Be sure to refer to the full TBC guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

Some good tips here, too: Video Hardware Suggestions; Best VCRs to Convert Tape to Digital
That's another page getting updates in the near future.

Quote:

I would like to know if Full frame TBC can be optionnal because I think that I have good signal in my VHS tapes. All VHS-PAL tape that have been used 1 time to record in SP mode. They have been played very few time.
All VHS tapes have absolutely horrible signals. This is non-visual information, so it's not something you can see. The entire format is fairly chaotic and noisy, and it was actually designed that way. It included a number of cheats to create passable home video quality. Television sets were further designed to be compliant with this mess. It's not uncommon for pre-VCR televisions to have problems working with VCRs and the VHS format.

Quote:

Actually I put a lot of hope in my HR-S7600EK to play with IQ. I would like to get a better deck (S9XXX serie), but as far as I know, the only advantage seem to be the drum system, it may be a big advantage....but to be honest I have no clue.
The 7600 and a 9x00 machine will generally perform about the same.

Quote:

I read about loseless compression format possibility of Huffyuv. Then I looked at PAL capture card. I don't know if it's me but it seem that ATI model that have been mention on this forum are hard to find. I don't know if you can suggest me or link me a list of respected captures cards (priority PAL; but if it can do NTSC too would be a +).
This post was asked in a PM, and you've since asked other questions on the forum. I think you've already figured out the capture card issue, right? To recap, some ATI models are hard to find (AGP, PCI-E, PCI), while others are still fairly easy to locate (USB2, PCI). It varies by model.

Quote:

My personnal computer have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 card tuner...I have no clue if it's good, anyway I think that if it have capture capability it will be only in NTSC.
That's very likely, since it's a hardware card, and tuned to ATSC from what I recall offhand. (Could be wrong, but too lazy to hunt for spec sheets and look it up. You can do that part on your own. :p)

Quote:

Many interrogations but I am not hurry to get your opinion.
Well, this was definitely a slow reply. Always ask questions on the forum, not in PMs, to get the quickest responses. PMs to Site Staff are best avoided entirely, as it's a bottleneck for our otherwise smooth process of posting and answering questions, which has taken quite a bit of effort to put in place.

Thanks. :)