digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Project Planning, Workflows (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/)
-   -   ADVC-100 vs. ADVC-300 sufficient for capture? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/4904-advc-100-vs.html)

via Email or PM 01-31-2013 01:55 AM

ADVC-100 vs. ADVC-300 sufficient for capture?

Hello lordsmurf,

I would appreciate if you could help me to resolve my doubts regardingright analog Canopus capturing device selection. I was playing for severalyears with ADVC-100 converting VHS material to DV avi, experimenting withavisynth and its filters, lately converting DV avi to H.264 m2ts files. I amusing JVC VHS player with TBC/DNR. My old VHS tapes are in a quite goodcondition. I am not using TBC/DNR since the line sync is not bad without it andI do not like that DNR is over filtering video making it too soft, I ratherhave a bit noisier but sharper video (it is o way to use only TBC on it, without DNR). For mpeg-2 conversion I amusing Canopus Procoder (it filters noice a bit too), for the m2ts conversion Igot a good results with Mainconcept HD encoder.

But now is the time to finally get serious, convert and archive my oldVSH tapes. It is been awhile last time I used ADVC-100, now even a newer modelADVC-300 is discontinued.

I am relying on your extensive experience with ADVC type of devices andall analog to digital related issues and topics.

My question and asking for help is:
Is my currently owned ADVC-100 is sufficient for this task or I need tobuy/get ADVC-300, until is still possible to grab one on ebay or so? WouldADVC-300 bring better picture and its filtering and TBC is useful (since I amnot using TBC on my JVC player anyway).

I appreciate for your time.

Regards,
George

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

JMP 01-31-2013 02:05 AM

The ADVC-300 is like a JVC VCR on steroids. The filtering is so powerful its actually bad.
Your current ADVC-100 is sufficient. Since you are going to be using MainConcept, I would stick with using Huffyuv and skip converting to DV. You would have to get a new capture card like the ATI 600 USB though. Going to DV will toss out 1/2 of your colorspace (VHS NTSC is 4:2:2, DV NTSC is 4:1:1). The file size of the AVI will be a bit bigger, but the quality will be better.

-JMP

rokoko32 02-01-2013 01:14 PM

JMP, thank you so much for detailed feedback.
Your specified ATI 600USB does not support PAL, only NTCS.
I need PAL for my VHS.
I like your idea about not converting to DV avi, but to avi by using huffyuv or Lagarith.

I found few other devices supporting PAL:
A.Diamond TVW750USB ATI Theater HD 750 USB TV Tuner (with 12-bit Resolution Video Decoder)
http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-TVW750USB-ATI-Theater-Tuner/dp/B002UOUQ08/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

B.Kworld - DVD Maker USB 2.0 (VS-USB2800D)

I would appreciatet for clarifying:
1. Which of them has better video encoding quality wise, audio sync, noise?
2. Would this work just to simply capture avi through huffyuv or Lagarith and save it to PC at 720x576 as you suggested without loosing 1/2 colorspace ?
3. If yes, Should I use YUY2 or RGB? After saved on PC it goes to Mainconcept HD H.264 encoder.
4. I like the 12-bit Resolution Video Decoder it has (per spec.), I assume it means taht video will be processed with 12-bit Analog-to-Digital Converter?

kpmedia 02-01-2013 03:28 PM

The ATI 600 USB supports PAL as AVI only, just not MPEG.
And the installer/drivers is here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...i-600-usb.html

In other words, it's fine for what you need. :)

rokoko32 02-01-2013 04:14 PM

kpmedia, thanks. I just was going back to my post and say that I did my homewrok and found that ATI 600 USB captures PAL as AVI in VirtualDub, but found your post, thanks for clearing things up.
few last things to clarify:
Does ATI 600 USB is free of those AGC issues, up blowing out brights?
Does it have 10-bit or 12-bit Analog-to-Digital Converter?
Should I use YUY2 or RGB to get a full clor space using huffyuv or Lagarith through VirtualDub?

kpmedia 02-01-2013 10:35 PM

- I've never seen this card blow out brightness, no. And I look, I'm not oblivious like others are!
- But depth? Not sure, and it really doesn't matter anyway. Not for this source.
- Capture as YUY2.

rokoko32 02-02-2013 03:57 PM

kpmedia, thanks for advising.
If I will set capture as YUY2 in VirtualDub by using Huffyuv, would it be sampled as 4:2:2?
I heard that Huffyuv is best for RGB and has some issues with YUY2, and others using Lagarith for YUY2, or I am missing something, please advise.

kpmedia 02-02-2013 09:15 PM

If the source is YUY2 (it is), and the card is YUY2 (it is), then YUY2 is fine. It's lossless.
RGB would be lossy colorspace conversion. While true that most sources can take 4:2:2 conversions, there's no need for this one.
Whatever you read/heard is wrong. Bad advice.

rokoko32 02-03-2013 02:30 PM

Thanks. I already ordered ATI 600 USB, it is on its way. I found the Lordsmurf post regarding SW for Win7 64-bit. Just for capturing through VirtualDub would it be enough to install only driver or the whole Catalyst Media Center has to be installed?

kpmedia 02-03-2013 03:23 PM

Just the drivers should be fine. :congrats:

rokoko32 02-03-2013 04:41 PM

Did it, thanks. And I found how to install HuffYUV in Windows 64-bit and get it working, thanks to Lordsmurf.
The last problem, unitl ATI 600 will arrive, I tried to setup HuffYUV under VirtualDub and check the encoded file. Surprisingly encoded encoded file has RGB color space (checked with MediaInfo) and it is no way to change anything under VirtualDub encoder settings to get the YUY2 output. I tired Lagarith and it made it fine, YUY2 4:2:2 color space. I do not understand why HuffYUV is not copoperating, it should output YUY by default, right?

kpmedia 02-03-2013 05:25 PM

If Lagarith is working fine, then go ahead and use it. I can't look at the Huffyuv issue for a few weeks, unfortunately.
There's a chance you've simply not gone into the Huffyuv options and selected YUY2.

rokoko32 02-03-2013 06:26 PM

By reading forum I found that MediaInfo reports for HuffYUV always seems to report RGB, even though the uncompressed frames coming out of the decoder are YUY2. I will use Avisynth to check the colorspace of output files.

rokoko32 02-03-2013 07:13 PM

Checked with Avisynth -same results: RGB.
Changed settings in VirtualDub/Video/Color Depth, Decompression Format has to be changed to 4:2:2 YUY2, it was Autoselect by default. Strange that it did not work with the default setting. Now everything is OK. But MediaInfo still reports RGB, need to use Avisynth to see the true color space.