digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Web Hosting (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-hosting/)
-   -   Are there any recommended UK hosting companies? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-hosting/4679-recommended-uk-hosting.html)

cheagavara 10-22-2012 09:49 AM

Are there any recommended UK hosting companies?

hi, hope you dont mind me contacting direct but i had a look at the list of recomended hostings via your link and wondered if you cold recomend any uk companies, i know what people say about search the forum and i have but you seem to be someone in the know

so would appriciate your advice as this is starting to get a bit like swimming through maple syrup

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

kpmedia 10-22-2012 09:54 AM

My specific suggestion would heavily depend on your exact needs.
For example, I would not necessarily suggest the same company for shared hosting as I would for a VPS. Same for reseller, dedicated, etc.

And then I'd also need to know if you need:
(1) A UK owned company, with UK located servers.
(2) A UK owned company, with servers anywhere else in Europe or North America.
(3) A non-UK company that has UK located servers.

I could name a number of hosts with servers in UK. Off the top of my head:
  • Futurehosting.com
  • miniVPS.co.uk / miniwebhost.co.uk
  • Dataflame.co.uk
  • VMPort.com
There's also some hosts I would entirely avoid: 1&1, Godaddy, FastHosts, HeartInternet, Webhosting.uk.com

If you're simply after an excellent European host, consider hosts with servers in Amsterdam or Germany. EuroVPS and Stablehost, for example.

cheagavara 10-22-2012 10:20 AM

hi, thanks for that, one of the hosts you sugest to avoid we have just used today, webhosting uk so would be very interested as to any comments regarding them. i did speak with EuroVPS and the guy said he would suggest we get back to him in the near future as he will have uk based server.

we would prefer uk based server and uk based opperaters, there is a bit of a reputation over here with regards to companies hosted on uropean servers and whilst i agree this is unfounded it is unfortunatly rife with regards to certain industries.

we have 3 resellers accounts with a co called jomongee at the moment but want to move away from them, spam filters are just the latest issue of many, there customers services is great at saying sorry we will fix this but often it wasnt broke in the first place before they globaly change things with no warning.

so looking shared reseller hosting in the uk....dont need to be promised gold account for copper money just straight forward reliable simple service.

would apriciate and respect your advice

kpmedia 10-22-2012 11:51 AM

Webhosting.uk.com is one of those sell-em-cheap/stack-em-deep type hosts. They're not quite as bad as Heart Internet or 1&1, but I'd steer clear just the same. The legitimate feedback for them online is atrocious. Because they have huge payout commissions, this is a host that ends up on fake "review" lists. However, this is a host you'd do well to simply avoid.

So you're looking for reseller hosting? cPanel?
I'm still not entirely clear what you're after. I'll guess that it's not VPS or dedicated, since you didn't mention either of those.

cheagavara 10-22-2012 12:08 PM

yes its reseller im looking for, cpanel and whm are what we are use to using, i dont know anything different really. we have multiple sights that we mannage ourselfs and we have 3 groups of companies that with our current provider sre hosted on separate servers.

incedently i know what you mean about fake review sites......this is what has driven me to distraction!

admin 10-22-2012 11:25 PM

There several hosts that I've come across online, but not yet used:
  • ByteHouse (bytehouse.co.uk) is in UK
  • Cyber Host Pro (cyberhostpro.com) in UK
  • HostMedia / AeonCube Networks (hostmedia.co.uk) in UK
  • JCSRV (jcsrv.net) in UK
  • VMotion IT Solutions (vmotionhost.com) is another one -- it's an Irish host based on the DirectAdmin control panel
Each of the UK companies uses UK located servers.
All four of these hosts have been professional in how they handle themselves online, and have good track records.
All of them are on the digitalFAQ.com reviews docket, to begin later this year. (All of 2012 was spent building a proper review system for 2013+)

So there's a few more names for you. :thumb:

I really would not hesitate to sign up with any of them. The most important features would be the panel (cPanel, Plesk or DirectAdmin, as you prefer), LiteSpeed and CloudLinux, and then whatever best fits into your budget price-wise. JCSRV looks to be one of the more balanced plan/price ratios, and they also offer 12-month plans for a 10-month price.

If you've never heard of any of these hosts, it's because they don't blow money on ads, and instead invest it on their services. ;)

cheagavara 10-25-2012 07:45 AM

signed up with host media on wednesdau, posted a ticket, no reply. went to live chat 3 times and waited 50 minutes only to have chat canceled at there end.

so since signing up have not been able to contackt. i tried the uk 24/7 help number where a very polite american chap gave me a number for the uk help....this went straight to voice mail.

canceling today so lets see what there 30 day money back is like.

admin 10-25-2012 08:49 AM

What sort of ticket was it?

Remember that only technical support tends to be 24/7 -- not sales.
Also understand that sometimes what a person thinks is "tech support" is actually a sales issue, including much of the initial setup of a new hosting plan.

I'm not sure you've given enough time just yet. :hmm:

cheagavara 10-25-2012 11:47 AM

i take you point but this was suppose to be uk support and i contacted during normal office hours for uk, starting at around 11:00 hours local time.

my problem was that i could contact anyone for around 3 hourson was is suppose to be a live chat or on the phone.

data flame however were ther within minutes on live chat before we signed and after so we have got one account with them

kpmedia 10-25-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheagavara (Post 23618)
data flame however were ther within minutes on live chat before we signed and after so we have got one account with them

Excellent. :congrats:

cheagavara 10-25-2012 12:18 PM

yep data flame have been excelent and they only charged us £4.99 fir the domain as apposed to £13.98!!! from HostMedia, now i know we dont need to buy a domain but when you do itsnice to see ur not being over charged.
the way i looked at it is if i did decide to cancel at least with flame all i would have paid was a fair price for a domain, with host i will have paid over double what it should cost.

hostmedia 10-29-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheagavara (Post 23618)
i take you point but this was suppose to be uk support and i contacted during normal office hours for uk, starting at around 11:00 hours local time. my problem was that i could contact anyone for around 3 hourson was is suppose to be a live chat or on the phone. data flame however were ther within minutes on live chat before we signed and after so we have got one account with them

We are sorry you had issues contacting our team. I see this was mentioned on WHT forum as well and I also see when you opened a sales ticket it was answered within 6 minutes.

The error on our live chat services has been resolved due to the alert system not informing the team of new chats. We are sorry you had to wait and wish you the best of luck with your future website hosting services.

Thank you.