digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   ATI 600 card doesn't work in Windows 7, how to use? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3070-ati-600-card.html)

newby 04-18-2011 05:26 PM

ATI 600 card doesn't work in Windows 7, how to use?

Admin Note: The solution is in post #9, so scroll down or click here.
.................................................. ...................................

SOOO...
Per your recommendations I bought an ATI 600 USB 2.0
IT DOESNT WORK WITH WIN 7 64bit and they dont plan on releasing drivers.......
Stellar.

admin 04-19-2011 07:56 PM

No, emulation mode isn't part of it that I recall.

Unfortunately, Microsoft more or less gave the finger to video users, when making Vista and Win7. Everything worked beautifully in Windows XP, which is why most serious video users are still based around XP setups. At least for the capturing, that is. A lot of Mac users are also several versions of OS X back, like 10.4, because Leopard and Snow Leopard wiped out some of their favorite tools. Some are even still on G4 or G5 architecture, because Intel CPUs obliterated the software. Some of that can be blamed on software makers, but understand many of them have gone out of business or otherwise ended that line of business. DataVideo, ATI, Avid -- I can name quite a few quality items that just don't work properly anymore.

Understand that "find something else" is easier said than done. Most modern Win7-compatible gear is based around low-quality PVR (a poor man's TiVo), and not quality capturing of older analog sources. The exceptions to this are much higher end cards from Aja, Matrox and Blackmagic, although those come with their own quirks and annoyances.

We'll help you get through this. :)

dad2 04-21-2011 11:04 AM

TVW600pcie woes! Hope on the horizon!?

I was and still having problems with my TVW600pcie but things are looking better since I found this post from another website a couple of days ago, very interesting reading re ATI software problems/issues. ATI's software version 10-_vista32-64_unified_wdm seems to work for different incarnations of the TV Wonder

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7591_102-3329642.html

My own computer is Windows Vista 64 and though the advice was for Windows 7 I was able to use some of it to finally get the TVW working to make a couple of test captures from the AG-1980 sucessfully. So far, (for the first time) no computer crashes, no green/black screen from composite/s-video inputs, very stable on tv reception and recording. For the most part when it would freeze the computer was when downloading tv channels, using task manager was the only way to to shut down ATI to use the computer again.

If you are going to follow the advice he gives make sure you print it out first as recommended!

dad2 04-21-2011 02:30 PM

TV Wonder once again.

I originally posted about the TV Wonder to the forum about a month ago but no advice/feedback so far, but that's alright, given the amount of misinformation, bad advice, the absolute lack of guides/information from ATI that I have and have not found on the web it's understandable. I hope its ok to repost my original post and will not cause any offense?

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...w600pciev.html

As I said in my last post from today I am now able to use it to capture vhs from the video inputs on the card, but still seem to have other problems using it, these problems occur no matter which version of Diamond or ATI software I have tried.

The following thread and advice on VideoHelp does not work for me at least, but thanks for it anyway, it's the closest to a guide I've found up to now:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...ftware-issues?

I'm referring to usually_quite's post or partial guide on making a custom profile and bitrate setting:

12. Enter "Video Capture Quality" (I used 75.)
I type in say 100, the number 75 which was already there is still there, can't delete it.

13. Enter "Bitrate" (I typed 4200.)
The bitrate is already set to 2000, entering any other number and pressing enter won't work, it goes right back to the default, the same with the video capture quality settings.

14. Check "Variable Bitrate"
How do I check variable bitrate? I see nothing on the interface to do this with?

15. Enter "Peak Bitrate" (I typed 4200.)
This is the really odd one! In mine the Peak Bitrate seems to be partially missing, can't scroll down to it, its half hidden just at the bottom on the CMC software interface on the screen and will not highlight when clicked on, unusable.

16. Uncheck "Variable Bitrate"
And, well, just where is the Variable Bitrate setting?

Solving these problems seems to be a bit beyond me. Lord Smurf, Admin, anyone? The few captures I've been sucessful with are not to bad but I think with proper bit rate setting they would be better.

I'm beginning to Wonder (haha) if there's something wrong with the particular card I bought (its just a very slight possibility, when I first installed the card one problem was intermittant sound output from one channel which only happened when using the video inputs, this turned out to be an intermittent short-circuit between a solder joint on the audio input connector and the metal ground strap which holds the card in place on the computer case, a small piece of plastic tape stuck between the ground strap and circuit board cured it), very bad design work by ATI or whoever.

admin 04-21-2011 02:37 PM

My Windows 7 system is still encoding something. I'll pull a TBC and VCR to that desk tonight or tomorrow, between encodes, and try to write a guide that covers install (XP, Vista, 7), and separate that will cover using it to capture video.

dad2 04-21-2011 05:22 PM

Thank you Admin, looking forward to your advice and guide.

In the meantime I managed to activate enough gray cells so I could at least get to the Peak Bitrate and Variable Bitrate settings I was unable to reach using the mouse, just had to use the up/down arrow keys on the keyboard. Using them is documented in the help section of the onscreen interface!

kpmedia 04-21-2011 06:45 PM

The ATI 600 posts have been moved out of the AVT-8710 DOA thread.
Hard to follow conversations when there's so much going on at the same time.

This should make it easier to separately troubleshoot. :)

newby 04-27-2011 10:50 AM

any progress on your guide?

lordsmurf 04-28-2011 04:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just installed the ATI TV Wonder 600 USB stick driver and Catalyst Media Center without any problem. It works flawlessly on a Windows 7 x64 Ultimate dual-core Intel. I did it twice, in fact.

This comes to three total times that I've installed this exact card on a Windows 7 system (all the same computer):
  1. Windows 7 x64 MSDN beta - just inserted the disc, installed it. That was a long time ago, back in 2009 sometime.
  2. Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, same computer hardware as attempt #1, but with post-beta retail version now installed. Again, I just inserted the disc, and it worked fine. I did this tonight ...err.... this morning. (It's about 4 a.m. now)
  3. Uninstalled all of it, ran CCleaner to purge as much ATI goodness as I could. Manually downloaded the Vista 64 drivers (Note: Attached to this post), and then installed after right-clicking and changing to Vista SP2 compatibility mode. Then I installed ATI Catalyst Media Center (ATI CMC) manually from the XP install folder on the disc that came with the 600 USB card. No right-click or compat change, since it was run off the CD. It works, too.
My test capture was a video that I cannot share (video belongs to a client, some family event), off a higher-end Hi8 Sony camera. No TBC was used or needed (the cam puts out a stable signal).

No dropped frames.
Interlace is fine.
I captured to MPEG-2 @8000kbps, 256k MP2 audio, in ATI CMC.

Next, I tried to capture AVI in VirtualDub. It didn't work -- black screen, no video or audio. (Note: False result!)
DScaler worked for video, no audio. (Run as XP SP3 compatibility, or it crashes Win7 with BSOD.)
AMcap worked for video, no audio.
Bypassing audio to line in on computer did not work (Note: That might just be this specific computer's issue.)
Several other tools from 2001-2004 failed to work, or even install. Compat mode did not matter.

I was just about to turn off the computer, when I tried VirtualDub again.
It worked fine. Captures audio and video.
Huffyuv AVI capture, interlaced video, PCM 48kHz audio.

So ATI TV Wonder USB 600 card on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate? Yep, it works great. :thumb:

I took a ton of screen caps to write a guide, as I promised so long ago over at Videohelp. I'll look to write it next week, after my current project is finished. (Honestly, I shouldn't have even taken an hour for this test like I did, but I was obsessed with proving it was not an issue for Win7x64 + USB600. And I wanted to reassure you that the ATI stick was going to work.)

At worst, your stick is bad.
At best, you just need to purge the system of existing ATI softwares, and reinstall.
Then pick some proper settings, as per my soon-to-be guide.

If needed: ATI 600 USB video capture card drivers + Catalyst Media Center [DOWNLOAD]

newby 05-03-2011 07:46 AM

what brand is your primary graphics card? I run an ATI firepro v3800. unless the catalyst media center is separate from the regular catalyst control screen, I dont think I'll be able to run an older version.

admin 05-03-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

catalyst media center is separate from the regular catalyst control screen
It is different.

lordsmurf 05-05-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newby (Post 15552)
what brand is your primary graphics card?

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
... as integrated into a Gigabyte M61PME-S2P motherboard

This is an AMD Athlon 7750 Black Edition dual-core Kuma CPU. It runs really fast, at 2.7Ghz per core. It can out-encode quite a few quad-core computers, for H.264 and MPEG-2 encoding. This computer was setup purely for encoding video. Several TB's of internal storage, plus dual eSATA connectors. Case is heavily vented, and it runs reasonably quiet.

It also runs VMWare, VirtualPC and VirtualBox, for software testing in Windows XP and Windows Vista virtual sessions.

It's a low-cost, high performance system. :thumb:

newby 05-05-2011 07:49 AM

B&H just notified me that my replacement AVT is in the mail... ETA on this guide?

lordsmurf 05-05-2011 08:23 AM

I'll add it to my weekend schedule. :)

Tuco 05-14-2011 01:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I just installed my ATI TV Wonder 600 USB on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit using the instructions from LS and it works. When you install Media Center the window might disappear for a while and never show an "Installation Complete" dialog, but check your Programs menu and you should see it. If you get a blank screen when opening up Virtual Dub, then open Catalyst Media Center first; it worked for me.

A few things to be sure of when setting up VDub:

1. Make sure the TV Wonder 600 USB is set as the capture device:
Attachment 1481

2. Set the correct input ( mine is set to composite because that was the only cable I had here at the moment ):
Attachment 1482

3. Enable audio playback if you can't hear audio:
Attachment 1483

4. Select your audio input source ( yours may be different ):
Attachment 1484

This was done on an ASUS G60JX Core i5 laptop with no other ATI/AMD hardware attached. No dropped frames. I also took screenshots as I installed, so I can post those if needed along with a short guide, but Lord Smurf's instructions are pretty straightforward.

Good luck!

newkt 05-14-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuco (Post 15694)
I just installed my ATI TV Wonder 600 USB on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit using the instructions from LS and it works.

[...]

This was done on an ASUS G60JX Core i5 laptop with no other ATI/AMD hardware attached.

[...]

I have an ATI Radeon 5450 graphics card on my Dell Studio XPS 8100
desktop (Core i7-865, 8 GB RAM, 2-TB RAID 0 array), running Windows 7
Ultimate 64-bit ... And I've ordered the same ATI TV Wonder 600 USB stick ...

If I understand correctly, I should NOT expect a conflict there, since the
Catalyst Media Center (600) is different from the Catalyst Control Center
(5450)? Is that right?

Kevin

lordsmurf 05-14-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

I should NOT expect a conflict there, since the Catalyst Media Center (600) is different from the Catalyst Control Center (5450)? Is that right?
There's no reason for there to be a conflict. Those are completely separate and unrelated applications. It's sort of like worrying if Word will work when Excel is installed. Yes, both are made by MS, but neither have any real overlap. At best, they're semi-related. The same is true with these two ATI apps.

CCC controls the graphics card drivers and display options.
ATI CMC is a capturing/PVR application.

Both should co-exist fine.

Within the next 5-10 days, I should have several of my new guides online, which includes the ATI 600 capturing guides (PAL VirtualDub, NTSC VirtualDub, NTSC ATI CMC MPEG-2), plus updates to some of the concept guides that deal with capturing theory, equipment, and workflows. A site admin will email all members when the revision is online.

Tuco 05-14-2011 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Newkt,

If you intend to capture to AVI with VirtualDub using Huffyuv( recommended ), then you don't even have to bother installing ATI CMC; just install the driver and make sure your system recognizes it. Then reboot and fire up VirtualDub and set it up(see above images). Check Device Manager( WinKey + Pause/Break for easy access ) to make sure the device has been recognized:

Attachment 1485

If you plan to capture to MPEG-2, then install CMC. I didn't install CMC - just the driver - and it works fine.

newkt 05-14-2011 06:23 PM

Thanks, lordsmurf! I'll be looking forward to them!

Kevin

newkt 05-14-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuco (Post 15697)
Newkt,

If you intend to capture to AVI with VirtualDub using Huffyuv( recommended ), then you don't even have to bother installing ATI CMC; just install the driver and make sure your system recognizes it. Then reboot and fire up VirtualDub and set it up(see above images). Check Device Manager( WinKey + Pause/Break for easy access ) to make sure the device has been recognized:

If you plan to capture to MPEG-2, then install CMC. I didn't install CMC - just the driver - and it works fine.

Thanks, Tuco!

Actually, I do intend to capture to AVI using the process you recommend,
because I want to begin my video editing with a loss-less version, in much
the same way that I save Photoshop projects in TIFF format, not just JPEG ...

Were you able to install the driver straight from the CD, as lordsmurf was,
or did you (have to) install the USB driver found elsewhere in this forum?

Kevin

Tuco 05-14-2011 07:28 PM

I never messed with the CD. I just downloaded the Vista 64-bit drivers from AMD. They can be found here or you can use the ones Lord Smurf posted.

lordsmurf 05-16-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuco (Post 15697)
then you don't even have to bother installing ATI CMC;.

I still use ATI CMC for preview of audio + video, because VirtualDub is really inferior for live preview. I'll use ATI CMC to get the hardware all set (proc amp, audio settings in VCR + external mixer, etc), and to queue up the tape to the proper start point. Then when I'm ready, I close ATI CMC, and set up VirtualDub for the Huffyuv AVI capturing.

Trying to do live preview corrections is frustrating in VirtualDub.

And then if you ever want MPEG captures, you're all set with minimal effort -- it will already be installed.

newkt 05-16-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 15716)
I still use ATI CMC for preview of audio + video, because VirtualDub is really inferior for live preview. I'll use ATI CMC to get the hardware all set (proc amp, audio settings in VCR + external mixer, etc), and to queue up the tape to the proper start point. Then when I'm ready, I close ATI CMC, and set up VirtualDub for the Huffyuv AVI capturing.

Trying to do live preview corrections is frustrating in VirtualDub.

And then if you ever want MPEG captures, you're all set with minimal effort -- it will already be installed.

Thanks, lordsmurf! So, should I install both the USB driver and CMC straight from the ATI 600 CD? I believe you said that you found that to work for Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit?

Kevin

lordsmurf 05-16-2011 01:40 PM

Just do what I did, yes.

lordsmurf 05-25-2011 03:22 AM

Note that I have added the ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB installation CD to the forum.
Download it here: ATI 600 USB video capture card drivers + Catalyst Media Center [DOWNLOAD]

newkt 05-25-2011 12:48 PM

Thanks again, lordsmurf! :)

I just posted to your new thread above, but perhaps I should've posted that here instead ...

Kevin

newkt 05-25-2011 02:14 PM

OK, I've decided that I should really be posting in this thread about my experience with my (alleged) ATI 600 USB CD-ROM, so I've "moved" my post to here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by newkt
Thanks, lordsmurf! :)

I just got my "brand-new" ATI 600 USB card yesterday -- shrink-wrapped box and sealed plastic bags, from an eBay seller -- only to discover that it came without ATI CMC (which the listing specifically said it included) and instead came with "ArcSoft TotalMedia" -- a different CD-ROM altogether! Heck, I don't know whether the drivers on the CD-ROM are even the same -- or whether they even work! :(

But now, thanks to your post, I can uninstall that stuff and re-install with the real CD-ROM! :thumb:

Kevin

I think, after re-reading the following post by lordsmurf, I've figured out what must have happened:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 12425)
Quote:

Hey, lordsmurf.
As I said on a thread, I don't mind spending some extra money to find a better quality device (as you and others state that Canopus use old technology).
You mentioned the TV Wonder 600. Do you have any idea if this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166
would have the same quality?
It's probably a newer version of the 600 series.
As it's not expensive, I may buy it to try.
Purely guessing, I would imagine so. At least for VirtualDub use (AVI captures), I'd bet it would work the same. However, my question comes in the way of supplied MPEG capturing software. If it comes with ATI Catalyst Media Center (ATI CMC), then you'll be fine. This is the part I don't know.

ATI released a lot of cards, internal and external, in the 500-, 600- and 700-series numbers. Diamond had what appear to be their own versions of ATI powered capture devices, too. I've never been entirely clear on which versions of which cards shared hardware, nor what software comes stock. There can also be issues on Windows XP vs Vista vs Win7.

After AMD bought ATI, some things got more complicated. It's no longer easy to discern product lines, as it was from 2000-2006, when the classic well-known cards were out -- the cards that made ATI a name in video capture. Back then, you have Radeon AIW cards, and all came with ATI MMC (not CMC, but MMC). And then there were the lower-end TV Wonder cards. Now it's less clear.

I also lost some of my ATI contacts, so I don't have as much information as I had 5 years ago.

The difference between "good" and "crap" has long been the software ATI supplies (or doesn't supply) with their hardware. I would be wary of any card that does not come with ATI CMC, or does not work with ATI CMC, in the current generations of cards. There are some cards that were released with third-party software that just doesn't work well. It's PVR software, and it's buggy. (Most PVR software is buggy, so that's not saying much.)

Reading some reviews online, it appears this card comes with ArcSoft PVR software -- and there are many complaints. So it may not have the best MPEG recording/capturing experience.

I'd opt for the 600 USB card, if I were you. I know it works. :)

OK, very solid advice! But I did, in fact, order that "brand-new" ATI 600 USB card (that I mentioned above) from a seller on eBay -- who shall remain nameless, until I resolve this with him -- and it actually came in that shrink-wrapped ATI 600 USB box, but the box had all references to the ATI CMC CROSSED OUT WITH A BLACK MARKER, and inside was a CD-ROM with the "ArcSoft PVR software" apparently referred to above -- instead of the
"normal" (and expected, and promised) ATI CMC!!! :mad:

So this is just to warn folks that someone out there -- I don't know exactly who (yet!) -- has apparently been re-packaging ATI 600 USB hardware with "ArcSoft PVR software" and trying to pass it off as the real deal!!! Heck, even the Quick Start Guide in the box refers to the ATI CMC -- which isn't there!!! :mad:

Kevin

lordsmurf 05-25-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

CROSSED OUT WITH A BLACK MARKER
How lame. This is good to know. Thanks for sharing your findings.

Quote:

and inside was a CD-ROM with the "ArcSoft PVR software" apparently referred to above
Would you mind ripping that CD to an ISO file? I can provide you with some FTP login space. I'd really like to get a good look at that disc, and also see how well it may or may not interact with ATI cards on several Windows versions. From what I gather, it's a really lousy software encoder that doesn't really function with ATI hardware. But I'd like to have in-person confirmation.

Just PM me, if you would.

newkt 05-27-2011 12:13 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by newkt (Post 15900)
But I did, in fact, order that "brand-new" ATI 600 USB card (that I mentioned above) from a seller on eBay -- who shall remain nameless, until I resolve this with him -- and it actually came in that shrink-wrapped ATI 600 USB box, but the box had all references to the ATI CMC CROSSED OUT WITH A BLACK MARKER, and inside was a CD-ROM with the "ArcSoft PVR software" apparently referred to above -- instead of the
"normal" (and expected, and promised) ATI CMC!!! :mad:

Now I have some photos of this mess to post ...

First, here's what I was expecting for a *NEW* (emphasis is the seller's) ATI 600 USB card ... Two things to note here:

1. the left side of the expected retail box
2. the expected CD-ROM (180-V01122-200), which includes the ATI CMC

Attachment 1560

Attachment 1564

Attachment 1559

And now, here's what I actually got ... All of the expected hardware was present -- in sealed plastic bags -- and the Quick Install Guide was there, and the box was indeed shrink-wrapped, but check out the side and back of the box (higher-resolution photo attached at the end of this post), and check out the CD-ROM ...

All references on the box to "ATI Catalyst Media Center" -- both in English and in French -- have been crossed out with a black marker (twice on the back, twice on each side), and the white CD-ROM actually includes "ArcSoft TotalMedia" instead ...

Oh, and BTW -- THE LISTING EXPLICITLY STATES THAT "ATI Catalyst Media Center" IS INCLUDED!!! :mad:

Attachment 1562

Attachment 1561

newkt 05-27-2011 04:28 PM

After posting those pix above, this occurred to me -- WHY didn't they use a bright red marker on the SIDE of the box? :confused:

newby 06-01-2011 11:12 PM

thanks for the instructions. when I first received the unit, i tried just throwing the CD in the drive and letting it self install, then I posted. running the vista64 installer worked. stupid and lazy miss on my part. sorry I posted before fully engaging my brain, i'm was just uber frustrated.

BTW, media center installed without having to run a separate installer

newkt 06-02-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newby (Post 15995)
BTW, media center installed without having to run a separate installer

Yeah, that was my experience, too, using the burned ATI CD (from ISO) provided by lordsmurf above ...

Spektre 06-16-2011 01:48 AM

Just curious...

Does the USB version of this device allow you access to ProcAmp settings in Windows 7?

admin 06-16-2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spektre (Post 16183)
Just curious...
Does the USB version of this device allow you access to ProcAmp settings in Windows 7?

See my post here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post16189

Quote:

It's not the hardware that includes the proc amp, but the software. If using VirtualDub for capture, you have proc amp abilities. If using ATI CMC, you do not. (Catalyst Media Center is really nothing more than a limited and dumbed-down version of ATI MMC.) ATI CMC is fine for capturing NTSC MPEG-2, but for any filter work or lossless/uncompressed capturing you'll want to use VirtualDub. In all honesty, if you want proc amp controls, use external proc amp hardware, like a SignVideo PA-100 or an Elite Video BVP-4.

Spektre 06-24-2012 10:53 PM

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but its always difficult to decide whether to do that or start a new thread (and look as though you have not read the forums). I have a freshly installed Win7 -64 Ultimate system. I downloaded the Vista driver installation file from the AMD site for the ATI 60 USB stick. When I run the installation it shows which components it is going to install. If I just run it, the file installs some compnents, BUT NOT THE ATI 600 USB drivers. If I run the installation file in Vista compatibility mode, the ATI device drivers show up as an installable option. LS, Did you have to run in Vista compatibility mode for driver installation?

kpmedia 06-25-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spektre (Post 21336)
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but its always difficult to decide whether to do that or start a new thread (and look as though you have not read the forums).

Sometimes it's good to add to an old thread if it comes up high in searches, yet never really answered the question in full. You can expand on it, and make it an even better FAQ resource. (That's why I reversed your "nevermind" edit to show your question again.)

Quote:

I have a freshly installed Win7 -64 Ultimate system. I downloaded the Vista driver installation file from the AMD site for the ATI 60 USB stick. When I run the installation it shows which components it is going to install. If I just run it, the file installs some compnents, BUT NOT THE ATI 600 USB drivers. If I run the installation file in Vista compatibility mode, the ATI device drivers show up as an installable option. LS, Did you have to run in Vista compatibility mode for driver installation?
Use the CD ISO image found here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...i-600-usb.html
That works best.

If you have issues installing it, reply in that thread. :)

Gators 04-17-2014 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 15505)
I just installed the ATI TV Wonder 600 USB stick driver and Catalyst Media Center without any problem. It works flawlessly on a Windows 7 x64 Ultimate dual-core Intel. I did it twice, in fact.

This comes to three total times that I've installed this exact card on a Windows 7 system (all the same computer):
  1. Windows 7 x64 MSDN beta - just inserted the disc, installed it. That was a long time ago, back in 2009 sometime.
  2. Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, same computer hardware as attempt #1, but with post-beta retail version now installed. Again, I just inserted the disc, and it worked fine. I did this tonight ...err.... this morning. (It's about 4 a.m. now)
  3. Uninstalled all of it, ran CCleaner to purge as much ATI goodness as I could. Manually downloaded the Vista 64 drivers (Note: Attached to this post), and then installed after right-clicking and changing to Vista SP2 compatibility mode. Then I installed ATI Catalyst Media Center (ATI CMC) manually from the XP install folder on the disc that came with the 600 USB card. No right-click or compat change, since it was run off the CD. It works, too.
My test capture was a video that I cannot share (video belongs to a client, some family event), off a higher-end Hi8 Sony camera. No TBC was used or needed (the cam puts out a stable signal).

No dropped frames.
Interlace is fine.
I captured to MPEG-2 @8000kbps, 256k MP2 audio, in ATI CMC.

Next, I tried to capture AVI in VirtualDub. It didn't work -- black screen, no video or audio. (Note: False result!)
DScaler worked for video, no audio. (Run as XP SP3 compatibility, or it crashes Win7 with BSOD.)
AMcap worked for video, no audio.
Bypassing audio to line in on computer did not work (Note: That might just be this specific computer's issue.)
Several other tools from 2001-2004 failed to work, or even install. Compat mode did not matter.

I was just about to turn off the computer, when I tried VirtualDub again.
It worked fine. Captures audio and video.
Huffyuv AVI capture, interlaced video, PCM 48kHz audio.

So ATI TV Wonder USB 600 card on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate? Yep, it works great. :thumb:

I took a ton of screen caps to write a guide, as I promised so long ago over at Videohelp. I'll look to write it next week, after my current project is finished. (Honestly, I shouldn't have even taken an hour for this test like I did, but I was obsessed with proving it was not an issue for Win7x64 + USB600. And I wanted to reassure you that the ATI stick was going to work.)

At worst, your stick is bad.
At best, you just need to purge the system of existing ATI softwares, and reinstall.
Then pick some proper settings, as per my soon-to-be guide.

If needed: ATI 600 USB video capture card drivers + Catalyst Media Center [DOWNLOAD]

THIS DOESN'T WORK!!!!

I've installed this, and the device continues to sit in my device manager with no driver!

Why are you cramming the internet with misinformation? Please stop wasting everyone's time!

Spektre 04-17-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gators (Post 31505)
THIS DOESN'T WORK!!!!
I've installed this, and the device continues to sit in my device manager with no driver!
Why are you cramming the internet with misinformation? Please stop wasting everyone's time!

Well that should certainly endear you to getting helped.

Gators 04-17-2014 11:56 PM

I'm not looking for help. I spent hours battling that device, and it plain and simple won't work with windows 7 64 bit, at all! I'm just trying to help others that are wasting their time and trying to clear up all this misinformation online that costs people hours of their time trying to do things that won't work.

lordsmurf 04-18-2014 01:56 AM

I've installed the ATI 600 USB card over and over again on multiple Windows 7 x64 systems without any issue.

You're simply not doing something correctly.

If you need/want help, you've come to the right place. We can help.

Heck, I can install it again, as I have a virgin Windows 7 x64 system here.