digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   How is video stored on Hi8 cassettes? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3834-how-video-stored.html)

jmac698 01-21-2012 09:32 PM

You are right of course, but the tradeoff to use a TBC is worth it. I believe there are devices that can skip this step, for example dvd recorders use a tbc on input and store directly to a digital file. There's probably other ways to do it, for example to use a camcorder as the capture, and record through compressed DV. Another way would be to use an AV receiver, though in that case you are probably looking at recording HDMI as output (which is complicated).

metaleonid 01-21-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmac698 (Post 18989)
You are right of course, but the tradeoff to use a TBC is worth it. I believe there are devices that can skip this step,

I was looking for the ones that can do this and 3d comb filter and store it uncompressed or losslessly compressed. Couldn't find ones. Hoped Canopus had something like that but they even discontinued the DV compressed ADVC-300. Matrox doesn't have 3d comb filter and I am not even sure they have built in TBC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmac698 (Post 18989)
Another way would be to use an AV receiver, though in that case you are probably looking at recording HDMI as output (which is complicated).

Can you tell me more about it?

jmac698 01-22-2012 05:53 AM

Yes, that's easy! (my new catchphrase :)

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...al-output.html
Do a search for "using received as tbc" and you'll find more references.

I can't tell you if it has 3d comb as well, but there's a way to do that in software, live if need be. I answered the general technique recently. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ctorscope.html
Instead of using the setup for viewing a vectorscope, you would paste a script to do decomb.
There's quite a few of them, and I have used some that do work.

NJRoadfan 01-22-2012 12:10 PM

3D Comb Filters are only used on composite video input to separate the chroma and luma portions of the video. If using S-Video for capture, you don't need one at all. The TBC found in Sony camcorders is a very good unit, there isn't any noticeable signal degradation and it does a great job of stabilizing the video.

metaleonid 01-22-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJRoadfan (Post 18999)
3D Comb Filters are only used on composite video input to separate the chroma and luma portions of the video. If using S-Video for capture, you don't need one at all. The TBC found in Sony camcorders is a very good unit, there isn't any noticeable signal degradation and it does a great job of stabilizing the video.

For the Hi8 tapes I will not need 3d comb filter if I end up snatching TRV65/66. I will however need a good 3d comb filter because I plan on converting some of my LaserDiscs where video is stored as composite. But I will post about it later in a separate thread.

volksjager 01-26-2012 10:49 AM

we should have a list of the good HI-8 cameras, like LordSmurfs' VHS list
these Sonys are S-video with stereo out:
CCD-TRV62
CCD-TRV65
CCD-TRV66
CCD-TRV70
CCD-TRV72
CCD-TRV82
CCD-TRV85
CCD-TRV87
CCD-TRV99
CCD-TRV101
CCD-TRV615

im sure i missed some -if you know of more ad them

NJRoadfan 01-26-2012 11:43 AM

CCD-TR940 and CCD-TR917 do stereo audio too. All Digital-8 camcorders with analog playback (I'll compile a list of the ones to avoid that lack this feature) along with the GV-D200 and GV-D800 Video Walkmans can also play back stereo Hi-8 tapes too.

volksjager 01-26-2012 11:49 AM

do the 940 , 917 and the walkmans have S-video outs as well?

NJRoadfan 01-26-2012 11:58 AM

The following Digital 8 camcorder models can NOT play back analog Video-8/Hi-8 recordings. They only play and record Digital-8 tapes. They also lack firewire analog pass-through capabilities.

DCR-TRV130 (2001)
DCR-TRV140 (2002)
DCR-TRV250 (2003)
DCR-TRV260/265 (2004)
DCR-TRV280 (2005-06)

NJRoadfan 01-26-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volksjager (Post 19063)
do the 940 , 917 and the walkmans have S-video outs as well?

Yes, they have full I/O. The Digital-8 Video Walkmans and analog capable D8 Handycams also have Firewire connectivity.

volksjager 01-29-2012 02:14 PM

i also believe these are S-video/stereo:
ccd-trv75
ccd-trv93
ccd-trv715
ccd-trv815

does anyone know offhand if a CCD-TRV101 has TBC & DNR?

NJRoadfan 01-29-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volksjager (Post 19116)
i also believe these are S-video/stereo:
ccd-trv75
ccd-trv93
ccd-trv715
ccd-trv815

does anyone know offhand if a CCD-TRV101 has TBC & DNR?

Yes, all the above models are Hi-8 XR stereo from the 1998 model year.

The CCD-TRV101 (1996, stereo, non-XR) has the TBC/DNR function, it also one of the few HandyCams that recorded a datecode to the tape similar to how DV does it. You can recall the date and time of the recording with the touch of a button!

lordsmurf 02-01-2012 04:33 AM

My focus would be on the TBC. As long as the camera has a TBC, and is in good shape, I'd be happy.
Composite will suffice; s-video is better, but it's not as big a deal with 8mm formats.
Stereo audio is a non-issue, because it's not like you weren't recording from a single location anyway.

That's my vote. :)

metaleonid 02-08-2012 10:43 AM

My camera has arrived:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110810443091...84.m1436.l2649

I think it works ok as far as playback is concerned. However, there's one little thing. When I go to menu and adjust the settings, there's a wheel to move the selection up and down. If I roll the wheel up, the selection is supposed to move up, and if I roll the wheel down, the selection is supposed to move down. It's not always the case. Sometimes the selection jumps randomly. Other than that I didn't find any problems so far. I can return it, but I think I want to keep it. Yet I'd like to ask whether the experts here on this forum think that this is a minor issue or not.

Oh, and by the way, I tried test capture with TBC on and off and found that the colors of the same footage slightly differ from each other. I found that with TBC off they are more natural.

Mejnour 02-08-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaleonid (Post 19409)

Wow you are a last seconds bidders...me too:D

NJRoadfan 02-08-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaleonid (Post 19409)
I think it works ok as far as playback is concerned. However, there's one little thing. When I go to menu and adjust the settings, there's a wheel to move the selection up and down. If I roll the wheel up, the selection is supposed to move up, and if I roll the wheel down, the selection is supposed to move down. It's not always the case. Sometimes the selection jumps randomly. Other than that I didn't find any problems so far. I can return it, but I think I want to keep it. Yet I'd like to ask whether the experts here on this forum think that this is a minor issue or not.

The wheel on both my Sony camcorders do that, even when they were new.

Quote:

Oh, and by the way, I tried test capture with TBC on and off and found that the colors of the same footage slightly differ from each other. I found that with TBC off they are more natural.
If the color is slightly off, it can be fixed with a proc-amp or software. Fixing a slight hue shift is easier then jumpy/jittery video. I don't notice a perceptible color shift on my Hi-8 or D8 HandyCams, so it may vary by unit.

lordsmurf 02-11-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volksjager (Post 19061)
we should have a list of the good HI-8 cameras, like LordSmurfs' VHS list
these Sonys are S-video with stereo out:

If ya'll build it, I'll publish it. :thumb:

NJRoadfan 02-11-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 19471)
If ya'll build it, I'll publish it. :thumb:

I have a detailed list already. I'll get it up here when I get a chance.

volksjager 02-11-2012 07:17 AM

i certainly pays to know what ones to look for.
while everybody on ebay was fighting over the more widely known models and IMO paying way too much,
i stole a CCD-TRV101 - mint with a Sony case, brand new battery, 2 new sealed Hi-8 tapes and even a Sony 8mm tape rewinder - $53 shipped

i used it to capture some tapes i had previously done with a Minolta Hi-8 camera.
what a difference!!! - the Sony looks 100 times better

metaleonid 02-16-2012 10:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'd like to post 2 images. They were done from the same Hi8 cassette.

First work flow was Sony CCD-TR93 -> Compro VideoMate via Composite -> Huffyuv/704x480. Compro was equipped by WDM drivers from Compro.

Second work flow was Sony CCD TRV65 -> LifeView FlyVideo via S-Video -> Huffyuv/704x480. I didn't use drivers from LifefeView. I used the reference drivers from Philips directly.

It is obvious that the 2nd image is much clearer, has more details and has much less White Peak spread out. What contributes to the difference is obviously difference between the quality of playback on these camcorders, Composite vs S-Video and WDM capture drivers from Compro vs capture drivers from Philips.

Both capture cards are based on Phlips SAA7135 chip.

Admin refused to unhide hidden content
nothing will help to see hidden content