Quantcast Avisynth: Overscan? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
  #1  
04-29-2003, 03:34 PM
CheronAph CheronAph is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Espoo, Finland
Posts: 494
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to CheronAph
How much can I use overscan, I use 2 now, what happens if I raise it to 4, or 6?
__________________
¨¨°º©©º°¨¨°º©CHERONAPH©º°¨¨°º©©º°¨¨
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Site Staff / Ad Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
04-29-2003, 03:55 PM
mfb mfb is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Austria
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
How much can I use overscan, I use 2 now, what happens if I raise it to 4, or 6?
_________________
¨¨°º©©º°¨¨°º©CHERONAPH©º°¨¨°º©©º°¨¨
hi Cheronaph,

use overscan=1 for 352x240(28, 352x480(576) and oversan=2 for any
higher resolution...to high values for overscan will give you black borders
on each side. You can try to use Letterbox(0,0,20,20) for 704x480(576)
resolution or Letterbox(0,0,10,10) for 352xXXX resolutions - this works on my TV, but actually you got to try how much overscan your TV-set uses...

regards, ***mfb***
Reply With Quote
  #3  
04-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Kane Kane is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
at the moment i do not use overscan, my TV seems to play the kvcd best without
__________________
greetz Kane
Reply With Quote
  #4  
04-29-2003, 07:28 PM
conquest10 conquest10 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 98
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
overscan won't do anything to the file. it just adds a border. so playback should not be affected by it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
04-30-2003, 12:06 AM
Boulder Boulder is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lahti, Finland
Posts: 1,652
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use 1 for 352x288, 2 for 352x576 and 3 for 528x576 or 544x576. I found out that my TV set crops the picture quite a lot so it's safe to use these values.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
04-30-2003, 04:23 AM
Kane Kane is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquest10
overscan won't do anything to the file. it just adds a border. so playback should not be affected by it.
sure, but my tv doesn´t crop the picture, so i get a black border on the left and right if is use overscan
__________________
greetz Kane
Reply With Quote
  #7  
04-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Wolfi Wolfi is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 489
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Wolfi Send a message via MSN to Wolfi Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfi
What should I use for 544x480, I'm using overscan 1 right now And why should I switch to 2,3 or 4 when it doesnt efect the movie size or quality

//Wolfi
Reply With Quote
  #8  
04-30-2003, 12:35 PM
muaddib muaddib is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: São Paulo - Brasil
Posts: 879
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Wolfi,

It will affect the size of the black borders.
More black borders means more compression.
More compression means you can increase the CQ value and keep the same size.
More CQ value means more quality.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
04-30-2003, 01:39 PM
Wolfi Wolfi is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 489
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Wolfi Send a message via MSN to Wolfi Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfi
Quote:
Originally Posted by muaddib
Hi Wolfi,

It will affect the size of the black borders.
More black borders means more compression.
More compression means you can increase the CQ value and keep the same size.
More CQ value means more quality.
Oh nice So what overscan is best to try, 2,3,4

//Wolfi
Reply With Quote
  #10  
04-30-2003, 01:49 PM
muaddib muaddib is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: São Paulo - Brasil
Posts: 879
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it depends on your TV.
You will have to check what is the bigest overscan you can use without having the black borders visible on your TV.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
05-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Jellygoose Jellygoose is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kane, are you sure that you get black borders on your TV whenever you use Overscan at all?
I don't think there's a TV that doesn't overscan anything... have you tried using no Overscan and this:
Letterbox(0,0,10,10) ?
__________________
j3llyG0053
Reply With Quote
  #12  
05-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Kane Kane is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellygoose
Kane, are you sure that you get black borders on your TV whenever you use Overscan at all?
I don't think there's a TV that doesn't overscan anything... have you tried using no Overscan and this:
Letterbox(0,0,10,10) ?
yes i got black borders, when using overscan, i will try it with letterbox later
__________________
greetz Kane
Reply With Quote
  #13  
05-03-2003, 05:22 AM
Wolfi Wolfi is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 489
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Wolfi Send a message via MSN to Wolfi Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfi
If you won't see any black boarders with overscan 4, is'nt it instead possible that the acters on the screen will look thinny if you rise overscan to much

//Wolfi
Reply With Quote
  #14  
05-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Jellygoose Jellygoose is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's why you should overlap, instead of overscan, because the height will not be affected this way!
__________________
j3llyG0053
Reply With Quote
  #15  
05-03-2003, 11:46 AM
conquest10 conquest10 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 98
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how do you use overlap?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
05-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Wolfi Wolfi is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 489
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Wolfi Send a message via MSN to Wolfi Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellygoose
That's why you should overlap, instead of overscan, because the height will not be affected this way!
So you mean I shouldnt overscan Oke than, how do you overlap never heard about it

//Wolfi
Reply With Quote
  #17  
05-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Wolfi Wolfi is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 489
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Wolfi Send a message via MSN to Wolfi Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfi
My movie dont look thin, I just wondered if it would if you rised the overscan to much But if I rise my overscan to, lets say 4, then is it possible to make the boarders to NOT to get bigger on the height It is no boarders on the sides of my TV screen but the said thing is that the upper boarder and the lowest boarder gets bigger So my picture gets quite small on the height Anyway to fix this without distoying the picture? Hope you understand what I mean with the "upper" and "lower" boarder

//Wolfi
Reply With Quote
  #18  
05-03-2003, 03:55 PM
PyRoMaNiA PyRoMaNiA is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: a PAL land (UK)
Posts: 408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overscan will crop height and width, so that it doesnt affect the aspect ratio...to use Overlap, add the line:
Letterbox(0,0,32,32)
...to the end of your script, just before Legalclip() to add an overscan of 4 to only the left and right.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
05-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Wolfi Wolfi is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 489
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Wolfi Send a message via MSN to Wolfi Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyRoMaNiA
Overscan will crop height and width, so that it doesnt affect the aspect ratio...to use Overlap, add the line:
Letterbox(0,0,32,32)
...to the end of your script, just before Legalclip() to add an overscan of 4 to only the left and right.
I'm a bit slow (as you aready know ).

1. So overlap ONLY affect the width boarders and NOT the height boarders

2. If I decide to use overlap instead of overscan how should I put this line GripCrop( width=544, height=480, overscan=3 )

Should it look like this: GripCrop( width=544, height=480) and then I just add Letterbox(0,0,32,32) to make the width boarders bigger (ONLY)

3. Were should I put Letterbox(0,0,32,32) in my script

4. Wont my movie look very jerky if I only make the width boarders bigger without doing anything to the height boarders

muaddib wrote about overscan:

"It will affect the size of the black borders.
More black borders means more compression.
More compression means you can increase the CQ value and keep the same size.
More CQ value means more quality."

5. So will this happen also if I use overlap insted of overscan

6. " ...to the end of your script, just before Legalclip() to add an overscan of 4 to only the left and right. )

Should I remove the whole line GripCrop( width=544, height=480, overscan=3 ) to the end before Legalclip() and not only overscan=3. So it looks like this:

ConvertToYUY2()
LegalClip()
GripSize(resizer="BicubicResize")
STMedianFilter(10, 30, 0, 0, 10, 30)
SpaceDust()
unfilter(50,50)
temporalsmoother(1,2)
mergechroma(blur(1.5)
mergeluma(blur(0.3))
DctFilter(1,1,1,1,1,.5,.5,0)
GripBorders()
GripCrop( width=544, height=480, overscan=3 )
LegalClip()

Or am I wrong? Please try to answer all my questions, I'm confused

//Wolfi
Reply With Quote
  #20  
05-04-2003, 05:10 AM
PyRoMaNiA PyRoMaNiA is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: a PAL land (UK)
Posts: 408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
1. So overlap ONLY affect the width boarders and NOT the height boarders
You can use Overlap to affect height borders too, just use Letterbox(16,16,16,16) to apply an Overlap Overscan of 2. But normally you would just use Letterbox(0,0,16,16) to only affect width borders.

Quote:
2. If I decide to use overlap instead of overscan how should I put this line GripCrop( width=544, height=480, overscan=3 )
No, just get rid of the Overscan part altogether, so it reads:
GripCrop(width=544, height=480)

Quote:
Should it look like this: GripCrop( width=544, height=480) and then I just add Letterbox(0,0,32,32) to make the width boarders bigger (ONLY)
Yep.

Quote:
3. Were should I put Letterbox(0,0,32,32) in my script
Right at the end, just before Legalclip()

Quote:
4. Wont my movie look very jerky if I only make the width boarders bigger without doing anything to the height boarders
No. Borders don't affect how the film plays.

Quote:
5. So will this happen also if I use overlap insted of overscan
Yep! You will get slightly less compression because you're not adding any borders top and bottom but you will still get the added benefit of more black borders.

Quote:
6. " ...to the end of your script, just before Legalclip() to add an overscan of 4 to only the left and right. )

Should I remove the whole line GripCrop( width=544, height=480, overscan=3 ) to the end before Legalclip() and not only overscan=3. So it looks like this:

ConvertToYUY2()
LegalClip()
GripSize(resizer="BicubicResize")
STMedianFilter(10, 30, 0, 0, 10, 30)
SpaceDust()
unfilter(50,50)
temporalsmoother(1,2)
mergechroma(blur(1.5)
mergeluma(blur(0.3))
DctFilter(1,1,1,1,1,.5,.5,0)
GripBorders()
GripCrop( width=544, height=480, overscan=3 )
LegalClip()
No. Get rid of the overscan part, so your script should look like this:
ConvertToYUY2()
LegalClip()
GripCrop(width=544, height=480)
GripSize(resizer="BicubicResize")
STMedianFilter(10, 30, 0, 0, 10, 30)
SpaceDust()
unfilter(50,50)
temporalsmoother(1,2)
mergechroma(blur(1.5)
mergeluma(blur(0.3))
DctFilter(1,1,1,1,1,.5,.5,0)
GripBorders()
Letterbox(0,0,24,24)
LegalClip()

...to add an Overscan of 3.

Letterbox(0,0,8,8 ) = Overscan 1 Left and Right
Letterbox(0,0,16,16) = Overscan 2 Left and Right
Letterbox(0,0,24,24) = Overscan 3 Left and Right
Letterbox(0,0,32,32) = Overscan 4 Left and Right

Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overscan y más cosas Metabodom Convertir y Codificar Video (Español) 11 05-07-2005 12:46 PM
Avisynth: 16:9 from dvd sources and overscan? jorel Avisynth Scripting 41 10-20-2004 11:07 AM
OVERSCAN e GRIPBORDERS() mabhz Conversão e Codificação de Vídeo (Português) 3 09-05-2004 02:22 AM
Overscan with MencodeMe maurus Video Encoding and Conversion 8 05-26-2004 09:02 AM
how to do a overscan resize? The Untouchable Video Encoding and Conversion 5 01-21-2004 11:05 AM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM  —  vBulletin © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd