Quantcast Codecs: Libavcodec Progress Thread - Page 6 - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
  #101  
04-08-2006, 06:02 AM
rds_correia rds_correia is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chinese Democracy starts now!
Posts: 2,563
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Pioneer DV-380-S and it reads virtually *anything* that I throw at it.
This is the latest generation for Pioneer SAP products and they're based on MediaTek's chipsets (basically chinese chipsets).
You can't run a test on SAP generations that read everything.
You gotta go deep into 3 or 4 year old SAPs and I'm sure you'll find plenty of SAPs that just can't read mplayer output correctly.
If I had an encoder and wanted to test it, I'd choose a 4 year old Philips state of the art DVD player.
They're know to *stick to the standards*.
Hell, some of them don't even read KSVCD .
Cheers
__________________
Rui
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Site Staff / Ad Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #102  
04-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Sagittaire Sagittaire is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds_correia
I have a Pioneer DV-380-S and it reads virtually *anything* that I throw at it.
This is the latest generation for Pioneer SAP products and they're based on MediaTek's chipsets (basically chinese chipsets).
You can't run a test on SAP generations that read everything.
You gotta go deep into 3 or 4 year old SAPs and I'm sure you'll find plenty of SAPs that just can't read mplayer output correctly.
If I had an encoder and wanted to test it, I'd choose a 4 year old Philips state of the art DVD player.
They're know to *stick to the standards*.
Hell, some of them don't even read KSVCD .
Cheers
Well in fact your previous problem for mencoder was:
- Overflow problem
- Motion vector range problem

1) Overflow problem
My multipass profil solve this problem only for medium/low bitrate encoding. If you want something like average q3 encoding or less my profil work without underflow.

2) Motion Vector Range problem
Old SAP like Pioneer, Philips and Koss use strict motion vector range (512 pixel for horizonal vector and 128 for vertical vector) and these old SAP are completely unable to play MPEG2 without strict motion vector range compliance. Now Mencoder is able to set max motion vector range (me_range for horizontal/vertical motion vector) and can produce strict motion vector range compliance for these old player.


New: It's possible to use coef > 7 now for libavcodec. You can use if you want Notch matrix with mencoder.
__________________
Le Sagittaire
--------------------
Inutile de discuter avec moi ... j'ai toujours raison ... en tous cas j'en suis convaincu et c'est le principal ...
Reply With Quote
  #103  
04-08-2006, 07:54 PM
danpos danpos is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
Posts: 538
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Sagittaire

And the others profiles that you would go post them here I'm looking forward for them ...

Cheers,
Reply With Quote
  #104  
04-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Sagittaire Sagittaire is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds_correia
I have a Pioneer DV-380-S and it reads virtually *anything* that I throw at it.
This is the latest generation for Pioneer SAP products and they're based on MediaTek's chipsets (basically chinese chipsets).
You can't run a test on SAP generations that read everything.
You gotta go deep into 3 or 4 year old SAPs and I'm sure you'll find plenty of SAPs that just can't read mplayer output correctly.
If I had an encoder and wanted to test it, I'd choose a 4 year old Philips state of the art DVD player.
They're know to *stick to the standards*.
Hell, some of them don't even read KSVCD .
Cheers
You say "use this particular SAP for your test". I use this SAP and my stream play very well. IMO I can make test with all these old SAP too if you want ... but result will be always the same simply because my mencoder stream are compliant.

Now try to find incompatible SAP yourself if you want with my stream. IMO I prove that my mencoder stream are compliant (with all possible software and all your "reference" SAP).

@Danpos

Well I use simply MPEG2 encoder for PAL DVD progressive encoding. Unfurtunaly I don't have time for test other encoding profil ...
__________________
Le Sagittaire
--------------------
Inutile de discuter avec moi ... j'ai toujours raison ... en tous cas j'en suis convaincu et c'est le principal ...
Reply With Quote
  #105  
04-16-2006, 03:36 PM
rds_correia rds_correia is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chinese Democracy starts now!
Posts: 2,563
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Listen Sagittaire, cut the bullshit and admit that noone besides you will ever use an encoder that can't handle certain settings that you might choose.
If someone/something has to refrain that should never be the end user.
If the encoder knows that it will fail in certain conditions then it should advise the user that it will disable certain settings in order to procede with the encoding.
Mencoder/ffmpeg can be the best codec out there but noone will be interested in it's magical quality until it gets some serious fixing in those bugs.
Plus, I told you that there were SAPs out there that couldn't play Mencoder output but besides my AG I didn't specify which models didn't like it.
It was Dialhot who told you about DV-444 and DVR-220, not me.
I will completely refuse to do your work.
You're the one interested in proving that mencoder is compliant, not me.
So don't come saying that you did your part of the game and that it worked for you and that now it's me who has to go out to prove my point.
You gotta be kidding me!!!
Cheers
__________________
Rui
Reply With Quote
  #106  
04-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Sagittaire Sagittaire is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well You say always "Mencoder can't make compliant stream". I say "I think that Mencoder can make complaint stream and I will try to prove that".

- I post my profil CLI and my procedure encoding for Mencoder
- I try all possible sofware to check stream
- I try all your "reference SAP"
- hank315 say problem is motion vector length and new me_range setting solve this problem


Try to use my mencoder stream with your "el cheapo" AG DVD-336K and post result here if you want ...

And I repeat for the last time little doom9 thread with hank315:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank315
I just discovered it by accident because I introduced the same bug with HC015 (will be solved in HC016)
It can cause severe blocking on some (very strict) HW players like Pioneer, Philips and Koss.
It's about motion vector length which is restricted for Main level.
In fact it was mean who pointed me to this very well hidden MV restriction.
The vertical motion vectors should be limited so they can be 'folded' in f_codes <= 5.
In about 15% of the frames Mencoder also uses values of 6 and 7 for f_code[0][1] and f_code[1][1].
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagittaire
motion vector range ... perhabs. I think that for MPEG2 compliant stream max vector must be 128 ... ???

Update with new mencoder sample
me_range=128 in mencoder CLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank315
Both clips seem OK now.

I can't make more ... my stream is not DVD compliant ... well ... prove it if you want now.
__________________
Le Sagittaire
--------------------
Inutile de discuter avec moi ... j'ai toujours raison ... en tous cas j'en suis convaincu et c'est le principal ...
Reply With Quote
  #107  
04-17-2006, 05:11 AM
rds_correia rds_correia is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chinese Democracy starts now!
Posts: 2,563
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittaire
I can't make more ... my stream is not DVD compliant ... well ... prove it if you want now.
You still haven't get it, have you
I don't need to proove a damn thing to you
It's the other way around: it is you who need to proove everything.
And there's one thing that you can't forget: if you want to proove something you'll have to use a SAP that goes stricktly by the book.
So go find a 4 year old Philips SAP and try your encodes.
If they work fine then you have another problem: how will you try to convince anyone to use an encoder that goes nuts and produces garbage when you press the wrong button???
Sagittaire get a life...
__________________
Rui
Reply With Quote
  #108  
04-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Sagittaire Sagittaire is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
So go find a 4 year old Philips SAP and try your encodes.
If you want I can make that too but it's really useless particulary for Philips SAP (old or new) simply because DVD-Video Verifier v1.5.0 from Philips itself say "compliant stream". But I make actually new encoding for DivX CDR test update and I will certainely use Libavcodec for MPEG2 : certainely that more than 200 compatible SAP will be good argument ... lol


Quote:
If they work fine then you have another problem: how will you try to convince anyone to use an encoder that goes nuts and produces garbage when you press the wrong button???
It's not my objective. My objective is just to find the best MPEG2 compliant encoder for metric test.
__________________
Le Sagittaire
--------------------
Inutile de discuter avec moi ... j'ai toujours raison ... en tous cas j'en suis convaincu et c'est le principal ...
Reply With Quote
  #109  
04-17-2006, 10:46 AM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittaire
My objective is just to find the best MPEG2 compliant encoder for metric test.
Then stick to CCE or TMPGEnc, because anything that comes out of avcodec IS NOT 100% compliant

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #110  
04-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Sagittaire Sagittaire is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Then stick to CCE or TMPGEnc, because anything that comes out of avcodec IS NOT 100% compliant
Actually I think that friendly user Open Source encoder like HCEnc or QEnc produce compliant stream. More difficult with Mencoder (bitrate restriction) but it's possible for medium/low bitrate and I prove that with DVD-Video Verifier v1.5.0 from Philips (absolutly no error checking for motion vector or vbv) and with your referenced SAP (your mencoder stream are bad but not my mencoder stream with my profil). Like I was always say your mencoder sub-forum (libavcodec) done very old information but libavcodec is continuously developped : there are always RC problem for vbv restriction for high bitrate encoding (new beta RC from XviD in mencoder will solve perhaps that) but motion vector problem is solved since a long time (motion vector is the problem for SAP like Pionner and Philips).
__________________
Le Sagittaire
--------------------
Inutile de discuter avec moi ... j'ai toujours raison ... en tous cas j'en suis convaincu et c'est le principal ...
Reply With Quote
  #111  
04-19-2006, 02:05 AM
gamma gamma is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rotterdam (The Netherlands)
Posts: 237
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittaire
My objective is just to find the best MPEG2 compliant encoder for metric test.
And our objective is to create KDVD's which will actually PLAY in a SAP.

And IMO, libavcodec isn't the best encoder in the world so why bother with all kinds of scripts, profiles and others hassels?
Reply With Quote
  #112  
04-19-2006, 02:19 PM
rds_correia rds_correia is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chinese Democracy starts now!
Posts: 2,563
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget about it gamma.
He will never understand that there are better things in life instead of spending hours trying to create a Mencoder CLI that will not bomb when it plays in a SAP for every encoding project we have.
On the other hand he's right.
He launched a legit question to the forum: which is the best MPEG2 encoder according to metrics.
He didn't say that we wouldn't be able to rule out an encoder just because it ain't compliant or because it can easily produce an uncompliant stream...
To tell you the truth, I'm outta here for good
__________________
Rui
Reply With Quote
  #113  
04-20-2006, 03:26 PM
gamma gamma is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rotterdam (The Netherlands)
Posts: 237
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds_correia
Forget about it gamma.
He will never understand that there are better things in life instead of spending hours trying to create a Mencoder CLI that will not bomb when it plays in a SAP for every encoding project we have.
On the other hand he's right.
He launched a legit question to the forum: which is the best MPEG2 encoder according to metrics.
He didn't say that we wouldn't be able to rule out an encoder just because it ain't compliant or because it can easily produce an uncompliant stream...
To tell you the truth, I'm outta here for good
Yeah you're right

I'm outta here also!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Common! No Xmas thread yet? rds_correia Off-topic Lounge 8 01-01-2007 07:57 AM
Audio Codecs: Libavcodec mp2 output Prodater64 Audio Conversion 3 11-05-2004 03:34 AM
PackShot bug report thread incredible Video Encoding and Conversion 44 07-29-2004 06:21 PM
MencodeME Bug reports Thread incredible Video Encoding and Conversion 36 06-28-2004 05:20 PM
FFMPEG: built-in libavcodec/libavformat CODECS kwag Video Encoding and Conversion 38 05-07-2004 11:22 AM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM  —  vBulletin Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd