Quantcast KVCD: LotR Extended Edition on one CD-R! - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
  #1  
06-13-2003, 05:32 AM
Jellygoose Jellygoose is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all!

I'm gonna experiment a little and I'm trying to put the 210 ( ) minutes of Lord Of The Rings 1 Extended Edition on one 99 min. CD-R.
You might say this is impossible with an acceptable quality. However I want to try.
Here's my question: What kind of script would you use for it. I think it might be a good idea to add blockbuster noise to the very end, to avoid DCT-blocks, and use a higher sharpening value, something like
asharp(2.5,4)

Do you think it would be a good idea to use the adaptive blockbuster filter also? or should I just leave it detail-adaptive, as it already is?
thanks for replies!
__________________
j3llyG0053
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Site Staff / Ad Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
06-13-2003, 06:10 AM
jorel jorel is offline
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brasil - MG - third stone from the sun
Posts: 5,570
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi my friend


maybe with this values asharp(2.5,4),
the image can stay very "brilliant" and
maybe "negative" in the edges.

blockbuster noise is a good choice but
CQ will decrease too much after prediction.

your only problem will be the low CQ.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
06-13-2003, 06:23 AM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Jellygoose,

I think you can use the current script just as it is, but I would use 352x480(576) because that's a very long movie
Do a file prediction at 352x480(576) and see how the sample comes out. I'm pretty sure it will make it

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #4  
06-13-2003, 06:47 AM
Jellygoose Jellygoose is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot, I actually planned to use 352x288 PAL VCD resolution for it... I'll run some prediction tests later tonight, and will compare both resolutions!
This is so much fun!
__________________
j3llyG0053
Reply With Quote
  #5  
06-13-2003, 07:21 AM
jorel jorel is offline
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brasil - MG - third stone from the sun
Posts: 5,570
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
352x288 Jellygoose?

will be cool of course, you will got good CQ with the corrent script

Reply With Quote
  #6  
06-13-2003, 12:54 PM
andybno1 andybno1 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 832
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to andybno1 Send a message via Yahoo to andybno1
just reading this makes me want to experiment with the extended version but I will aim at putting it on 1 80min cd, lets see what the pair of us can do eh.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
06-15-2003, 10:09 AM
andybno1 andybno1 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 832
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to andybno1 Send a message via Yahoo to andybno1
well I fell at the first hurdle, after prediction I got a cq value of 0.958 quality was so bad I gave up.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
06-15-2003, 12:20 PM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybno1
well I fell at the first hurdle, after prediction I got a cq value of 0.958 quality was so bad I gave up.
Not at 352x240(28
You should be able to put that on one CD at that resolution, because I put "The Green Mile" (180 minutes) on one CD with the LBR
CQ was up in the 50's.

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #9  
06-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Jellygoose Jellygoose is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone give me a good blockbuster line for this purpose please?
__________________
j3llyG0053
Reply With Quote
  #10  
06-15-2003, 12:40 PM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellygoose
Can someone give me a good blockbuster line for this purpose please?
Try this:

BlockBuster(method="noise", detail_min=1, detail_max=10, variance=0.7, seed=5823 )

That's for 352x240(28. Try it on a small clip first

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #11  
06-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Jellygoose Jellygoose is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Right now I'm still doing tests for 352x576, and results are promising
However I have some problems with prediciton, because the film is on 2 DVDs... I would actually join the Vobs, but I need subtitles on both DVDs, and they would get out of sync I think
I can't even load both .d2v files into one AviSynth Script because of the Subtitles I think. Because I would need two VobSub lines, and the subtitles for both DVDs start at 0 minutes of course...
get that?
__________________
j3llyG0053
Reply With Quote
  #12  
06-15-2003, 02:57 PM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're going to have to use Vobedit and Ifoedit to create a joined set of VOBs. Then you can tackle the task of encoding it

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #13  
06-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Jellygoose Jellygoose is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know I can't wait kwag!!
What I'll do is just use ToK with the first DVD, then with the second, and just use half of the factor I'd use for a normal encode. Later I join the 2 files to 1 MPEG...
I know this is the dirtiest method to do this, but right now it works...

What I can say right now is this: Static Scenes just look for that length of a movie... when it comes to action, it gets blocky.
Artifacts around objects also concern me...
__________________
j3llyG0053
Reply With Quote
  #14  
06-16-2003, 02:04 PM
andybno1 andybno1 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 832
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to andybno1 Send a message via Yahoo to andybno1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwag
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybno1
well I fell at the first hurdle, after prediction I got a cq value of 0.958 quality was so bad I gave up.
Not at 352x240(28
You should be able to put that on one CD at that resolution, because I put "The Green Mile" (180 minutes) on one CD with the LBR
CQ was up in the 50's.

-kwag
Yeah I can get it on one disc as film is only 219mins. the prob I encounted was a EXTREMELY blocky picture, it was like watchin a streaming vieo for a 14.4k modem.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
06-16-2003, 02:06 PM
andybno1 andybno1 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 832
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to andybno1 Send a message via Yahoo to andybno1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellygoose
You know I can't wait kwag!!
What I'll do is just use ToK with the first DVD, then with the second, and just use half of the factor I'd use for a normal encode. Later I join the 2 files to 1 MPEG...
I know this is the dirtiest method to do this, but right now it works...
to have the two discs together, download claddvd it can rip dvds to one vob file, do this with both cd's and then put both vob files through dvd2avi and run the two vobs through IFO Edit and u should be set.

Quote:
What I can say right now is this: Static Scenes just look for that length of a movie... when it comes to action, it gets blocky.
Artifacts around objects also concern me...
what CQ level did u get predicted? or used?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
06-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Jellygoose Jellygoose is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get a CQ of 77.3 @ 352x288 resolution. But that's for a 99 min. CD-R and with 96kb audio... However, picture really looks ok for that length...
did you say ONLY 219 min. ??
What movies do you usually watch?
__________________
j3llyG0053
Reply With Quote
  #17  
06-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Jellygoose Jellygoose is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Results:

Ok, I wasn't really satisfied with my results for this movie, when I watched it on my computer monitor! I could clearly see that blocks showed up on high action scenes, the whole image seemed very soft (thus the resolution was only 352x28 and the worst thing was that I couldn't get rid of the artifacts around objects. However, I burnt it on CD and watched it on the standalone and the results were simply

I couldn't believe that this quality was achieved for 210 min. on a 99 min. CD-R. The picture looked way better than on the computer monitor. I know this is always the case, but the lower the resolution is, it seems to me the better artifacts are compensated by the DVD player. The artifacts around the objects were simply GONE!!
Even the image looked to me a LOT sharper than it seemed on the computer monitor!! Now it's not that the whole image is soft, but only background scenes are of less detail. That doesn't bother me at all... I'll post a sample later on, and you guys can watch it!!
__________________
j3llyG0053
Reply With Quote
  #18  
06-17-2003, 08:18 AM
Yoda Yoda is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 172
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@JellyGoose
Is your DVD player progressive?

-Yoda
__________________
May the code force be with you
Reply With Quote
  #19  
06-17-2003, 09:21 AM
Jellygoose Jellygoose is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
@JellyGoose
Is your DVD player progressive?

-Yoda
Don't know... What do you mean by progressive?
If your question is if the player shows interlaced video or not, then no, there are no horizontal lines...
__________________
j3llyG0053
Reply With Quote
  #20  
06-17-2003, 12:23 PM
vico1 vico1 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Jellygoose,

Can we see your script???


************************************
The Devil.....is always.....in the Details!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avast 4.6 Home Edition rds_correia Computers 5 09-10-2005 06:55 PM
KVCD: The Two Towers Extended Edition - Too big to bother? Zanny Video Encoding and Conversion 4 05-05-2004 02:19 PM
KVCD: LOTR Subtitles not present? Jellygoose Video Encoding and Conversion 15 01-10-2003 07:58 AM
KVCD: Extended Length on Apex 1500 jezztek Players, DVRs, Media Centers 9 09-03-2002 08:13 AM
KVCD: Foro en castellano y lotr minglas Convertir y Codificar Video (Español) 5 09-03-2002 01:59 AM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM  —  vBulletin © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd