Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-13-2021, 11:02 AM
Free Member

Hello,
My beloved Panasonic AG-1980 is having picture quality problems. I was in the middle of capturing a video when the picture suddenly got much darker and very thin dark horizontal lines started appearing. I thought perhaps it was time to clean the heads but after doing so the dark quality and the lines are still appearing. All other functions on the VCR work fine and I've switched all cabling out of the VCR so that's not the problem. It's doing the same thing on other tapes as well.
I guess my first question is: Is there something (simple) I can do to check where the problem is coming from?
And secondly, any ideas on where I can send it to have everything checked out?
I love this unit and want to continue to use it so would like to get it back in good working order.
Also, any ideas on where I could pick up another one in good working order? I checked out e-Bay but they're getting harder to find all the time. Maybe someone here has one for sale at a reasonable price??
Many thanks for any help you can throw my way!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-13-2021, 05:34 PM
Free Member

A sudden change implies some internal component gave up the ghost.

What you describe could arise from a number of issues, not the least of which is incorrect cabling/connections that result in too low a load impedance on the video outputs or perhaps alternate scan lines missing.
How is it connected and to what?
Can you post an image of the output?
What is the history of the machine?
How long have yo had it?
Has it been rehabbed; e.g., capacitor replacement?
Is the front panel bright?
Does it happen with both SP and SLP speed recordings?
05-14-2021, 09:58 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I fear it is an internal component, most likely bad caps. In response to your questions:

Cabling/Connections are not an issue. I've switched the cables and get the same picture.
My setup is: AG-1980>S-Video to Data Video TBC-1000>S-Video to Pinnacle USB-710>Computer
I don't have an image but just compared pictures between the AG-1980 and a JVC HR-S9900U using the same tape and the difference is quite glaring. Very dark vs. clean and bright.
I bought the AG-1980 on e-Bay 2 years ago (for $200!). It was advertised as part of an estate sale but I figured at that price it was worth the risk. It ended up being quite clean and worked perfectly until just a few days ago. Although the front display has always been a little dim, it transferred beautifully.
To my knowledge, it has never been rehabbed, certainly not by me.
Yes, same picture on both SP and SLP recordings, which is what I primarily use the machine for.

From all that I've read, I think the issue has to be bad caps. I'm somewhat nervous about tearing into the machine to explore further since I've never had one apart before. Others, yes but not the AG-1980. But I guess I will have to get my feet wet and take a look at the caps for signs of needing replacements. I wish there was a guide to help me but haven't been able to locate one yet. It would be helpful to know which caps are the likely culprits, which caps will brighten up the front display, etc.

This exploration will be my weekend project. If anyone has any words of wisdom or advice or instruction it would be most appreciated. Thanks.
05-14-2021, 02:32 PM
Free Member

There are several thread here on the AG-1980 cap issue with extensive comments and even a parts list or two. Also the service manual can be downloaded from this site.

The AG-1980 contains many PC boards (about 16 ) and several are a bi--h to remove because they are installed with locking board connectors. Digging into it is not recommended for individuals who do not have good electronics technician skills and the necessary tools to do board level repair work including working with surface mounted components.

That said, the board most likely causing a dim display is the "TIMER C.B.A." The problem often is a failing capacitor in the circuit that powers the display. A frequent issue for the image is in the "Y/C PACK C.B.A." The surface mount electrolytic caps tend to fail. However, your problem may be different. Also note that there were some different versions the boards during the product life time; they are not all identical.

Good luck with your project.
05-14-2021, 04:25 PM
Free Member

Thanks, again.

I realize this could become a daunting project. I took the cover off today and thought to myself, Do I really want to tackle this?? But I need the VCR so my options come down to buying another one, getting this one fixed, or fixing this one myself. They're getting harder and harder to find so buying one will be expensive and then you run the risk of encountering the same problems I'm facing now. Finding someone to fix it with the time involved and the expense could be another hassle. And fixing it myself when I'm no where near qualified makes me quite nervous. So I've got lots of issues to sort out before deciding on the right option.

Hopefully someone will chime in who has a good one for sale. Or knows how (and is willing) to fix them. Or can give me details about removing the board(s) without damaging the unit. Or just wants to buy me a beer. Drinking seems like a pretty good option right now.