Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-31-2022, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

I bought a broken VHS camera off eBay, and it came with an odd device.

I think this might be some kind of probe or calibration tool. It's about a foot or so long, and the syringe-like button can be depressed to push out a solid metal pin...probably to probe something with.

I have absolutely no idea what this guy is for. "Made in Japan" printed on it, possibly made by Panasonic?

Thanks for any help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5251.jpg (78.5 KB, 18 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-01-2022, 12:10 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Ha, that Mon ami is a manual camera trigger.

Not seen one of those for a good long time. It's from an old film camera.

A Bowden cable that trips the shutter.
The following users thank RobustReviews for this useful post: Dead Christmas (02-02-2022)
02-01-2022, 12:30 AM
Premium Member

Thanks! I don't think I'd have ever figured it out on my own. Would've drove me crazy for a while trying to figure it out.
02-01-2022, 01:48 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Christmas View Post
I think this might be some kind of probe or calibration tool. It's about a foot or so long, and the syringe-like button can be depressed to push out a solid metal pin...probably to probe something with.
Did you buy that from Roswell NM by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
Ha, that Mon ami is a manual camera trigger.
Not seen one of those for a good long time. It's from an old film camera..
I still have one in my film camera bag. Not used it in at least 20 years now. The release, not the camera. I'm still using those lenses*, and pull out that camera for nostalgia every few years. Clean it, inspect it, use it, then back in the bag. (*Canon FD lenses now fit the Nikon Z6 II via adapter, and the bokeh is dreamy. I really like those for tripod shots with DOF. So my least used lenses in recent decades are now some of my most used lenses.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Dead Christmas (02-02-2022)
02-01-2022, 01:55 AM
Premium Member

I actually got it in a lot from mgold2017 on eBay. It was buried at the bottom of the hard case.
02-01-2022, 02:33 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Did you buy that from Roswell NM by chance?

I still have one in my film camera bag. Not used it in at least 20 years now. The release, not the camera. I'm still using those lenses*, and pull out that camera for nostalgia every few years. Clean it, inspect it, use it, then back in the bag. (*Canon FD lenses now fit the Nikon Z6 II via adapter, and the bokeh is dreamy. I really like those for tripod shots with DOF. So my least used lenses in recent decades are now some of my most used lenses.)
FD lenses, bloody hell. I probably have some kicking about.

I still have a darkroom, I'm a Mamiya guy. I'm in to portraiture. I've not messed about with 35mm for decades, I should have a rummage in the loft.
The following users thank RobustReviews for this useful post: Dead Christmas (02-02-2022)
02-01-2022, 03:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
FD lenses, bloody hell. I probably have some kicking about.
Not just any random FD lens, of course, and not even necessarily Canon branded. For years, Canon ignored the FD, but in recent years it seems every brand wants to mount other-brand lenses. So there's some really nifty adapters out there, from cheap manual-only, to more expensive electronic contact crossover (some even allow autofocus on AF lenses). I bought the FD>Z adapter because it was $12 on eBay, and I'm glad I did. The specific lens I like most is a wide angle Sigma FD. Super crisp, even on a modern high MP camera! And that bokeh.

So if you have camera gear you don't want, now may be a good time to unload it. Not even necessarily for sale, but simply because this stuff was completely unwanted even just 5 years ago. You literally could not give away some of this stuff, and it'd languish on eBay until the seller just quit trying to sell it. But photographers new and old suddenly re-discovered some older format lenses. And I was one of them. I just happened to already own some, but most others do not.

I pulled out a film canister (with winding reel) recently, and asked some folks if they knew what it was. None did. I really don't miss the darkroom, who knows what damage I did to my lungs breathing all that crap in for so long.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Dead Christmas (02-02-2022)
02-01-2022, 03:52 AM
Free Member

Good for longer exposure times with the camera set on a tripod. The flexible cable allowed the operator to open and close the shutter without jolting the camera, avoiding image blur.
The following users thank timtape for this useful post: Dead Christmas (02-02-2022)
02-02-2022, 08:50 PM
Free Member

Common US term is a "shutter cable release" or "cable release." Allows depressing/activating the shutter on a camera with minimal shake of the camera body, especially for "bulb" exposures. Commonly used with still cameras and some film movie cameras. Not common for camcorders.

Most used a plunger and a cable similar as your image to extend the pin that activates the shutter, and some used an actual squeeze bulb and hose to use air pressure to extend the pin.

There were several types of attachment to the camera; the tapered thread as in your sample, was probably the most common. Modern cameras have moved to using IR remote controls, electrical leads and connectors, and/or WiFi/Blue Tooth controls.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: Dead Christmas (02-02-2022)