Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-16-2024, 10:12 PM
Free Member

Hello!
I have an Ambery TBC in which I bought brand new several years ago for a capture project. At the time it worked great with capturing some old S-VHS and Hi 8 footage I shot back in the day. Since then, the TBC was stored in a sealed container for several years. I recently brought it out with the same
S-VHS deck and cables. Now the image is corrupted when using the TBC, regardless of S-Video or composite connections used.The TBC generates color bars okay though when there is no signal being fed to it.
Footage off the deck bypassing the TBC looks normal too. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.

IMG_1360.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

IMG_1361.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-16-2024, 10:40 PM
Free Member

Hi DamienC, I have the same model. Mine also failed after a few years. It was SMD capacitors. They often fail in a wide range of electronic devices including VCR's. I'm a tech so it was an easy repair.

I see you're in LA. There should be an abundance of good techs there who can check it. It only takes 5 minutes to check. Since there arent many SMD caps in it, replacing all of them shouldnt take too much time.
The following users thank timtape for this useful post: DamienC (01-17-2024)
01-16-2024, 11:31 PM
Free Member

Hey timtape!
Thank you for your reply. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one with this TBC. I haven’t been able to find much info about it recently. I’ll have to find someone to check out the Caps. I’m sure you are right finding someone qualified here in LA.
01-17-2024, 02:27 PM
Free Member

Great, feel free to report back here after a tech has looked at it.

Tim