Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-15-2024, 04:22 AM
Free Member

Hello,

My ADVC 300 has been working fine for 6 months but without changing my setup in anyway, I now receive no video signal from the device.

Set up
Win 10
WinDV and Virtual Dub
Device recognised by above software
Just get a black screen.
ADVC is on 'Analog' and on 'PC' mode.

I have test the firewire port and lead with a mini DV, works fine.
I have made sure there is a signal from the VHS deck, having even used multiple decks.

Do these devices just have a shelf life?

Thanks,

Ollie
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Free Member

Unfortunately cases like these are hard to troubleshoot over a forum, If you don't have the repair skills and have access to a scope you may have to send it out to someone who can check it out for you. In most cases like any obsolete piece of gear, if you can't fix it get another one and move on, I'm not trying to be negative here, just the reality about this stuff whether it is a VCR, camcorder, a capture device.. etc.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
02-15-2024, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

I have an ADVC-100 with a dead S-Video port (composite works), and an ADVC-110 where the 6 pin FireWire port does not work for data (you can power the device with it, and the 4 pin port works). I haven’t popped them open yet, hoping it is dry solder joints or other physical issues.
02-15-2024, 08:36 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I often discuss the somewhat low quality output of the ADVC (compressed/altered color, added blocks), being old 1990s tech. But the mechanics of the unit are also fairly crappy, put together with the electronics equivalent of duct tape and chicken wire. A lot of these units, especially the 300, have simply failed over time, at a rate that exceeds lots of other items that often gets lamented about (TBCs) or complained about (cheap capture cards).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-16-2024, 04:32 AM
Free Member

Thanks for all your replies.
I'm going to have a look inside and see if I can see see any obvious issues.
I tried just using the S video input but still nothing.
I'm thinking of going for a Black Magic Intensity Pro PCI-E card.
Anyone had experience with these?
02-16-2024, 06:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

Blackmagic cards are pretty terrible for SD sources, massive issue with dropping frames (both reported and unreported). Having some sort of frame TBC is always essential, but having the best TBCs are required for Blackmagic cards.

02-16-2024, 06:46 AM
Free Member

You'd recommend Pinnaccle right? Do they do a PCI-E capture card?
02-16-2024, 09:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Elmes View Post
You'd recommend Pinnaccle right? Do they do a PCI-E capture card?
USB2.
There's zero reason for PCIe capturing, there is no benefit.

02-16-2024, 06:38 PM
Free Member

Haven't tried the ADVC300 myself, but if you like the actual firewire pathway, ADVC-110's are pretty cheap these days. I haven't heard of the 110 model just randomly dying, but I'm sure anything is possible. Seems like from what I'm reading that the ADVC110 plus an ES10 for passthrough should outperform the ADVC300 and will also cost less.

You might also want to try a replacement AC adapter.

Looks like from pictures of the the insides that there's a fair amount of surface mount capacitors inside - at least 22, it's possible that those going bad could have stopped it from working.

If you do give up on the ADVC300, I'd pay the shipping and a bit extra to the USA just to tinker around with it on the off chance that I'm able to fix it to add to tested devices comparison. If it's anything beyond capacitors or obviously burnt components, it'll probably be beyond me though. Replacing those caps will probably take a few hours alone and even then no guarantee of it working afterwords. PM me if interested.
02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
...Looks like from pictures of the the insides that there's a fair amount of surface mount capacitors inside - at least 22, it's possible that those going bad could have stopped it from working...
After the other obvious checks you mentioned I'd also be checking those old SMD caps. As we know, a simple ESR test takes very little time. Any caps which measure well below spec, which may only be a few since the unit appears to have been working until recently, could be replaced, and the unit tested. If that gets it operational the owner could now use it knowing it will only work until other caps fail, or pay more to have all the SMD caps replaced.
02-18-2024, 02:49 AM
Free Member

Checking those old SMD caps is beyond my skill set I'm afraid.

@aramkolt I'll pm you if I give up on it.

Thanks for everyone's feedback
02-19-2024, 05:45 PM
Free Member

No specific shelf life beyond what one might expect from the components.

Does the "Picture Controller" software detect the ADVC300? It may not see it depending on the IEEE1394 driver installed.

Any changes to your PC since last known working capture? E.g., did a Windows update change your IEEE1394 driver?
02-20-2024, 05:30 AM
Free Member

I've not tried the picture controller software. I've just e mailed grass valley so get an account so that I can hopefully download the software.

I may have done a minor windows update but not a new OS or anything. The same Firewire port still works for my Canon MiniDV set up.

The device is definitely recognised once powered on. It auto launches premiere for a start and you get the little new device noise.

One thing it does do in Virtual Dub, is show the audio levels at a constant minus 20 decibels.
02-20-2024, 11:33 AM
Free Member

With Picture Controller software you should see the video input to the ADVC300 in the Preview window. In my Win10 PC it takes ~10 seconds for the image to appear after clicking the "Open Preview".
02-21-2024, 04:08 AM
Free Member

Does anybody have access to this Picture Controller software? Seems hard to get hold off. Thanks
02-21-2024, 04:47 AM
Free Member

One thing I have noticed. The light seems to be stuck on 'Digital'. This wasn't happening a few days ago. Anyone else experienced this?
02-21-2024, 09:56 AM
Free Member

Do you have a copy of the ADVC300 User Manual? If the unit is set to PC mode on the DIP switch you need the Picture Controler to make adjustments.

The Digital light typically is on if the system detects an input at the Firewire terminal. (This is a DIP switch setting.)

The Input Select select switch should allow you to select between Firewire and Analog input.

Note that Firewire terminals may NOT be hotswap. Connecting while gear is powered might result in burning out the terminal on some gear. (I've seen a Canon HV20 die that way.)

I believe you need to register the ADVC300 on the GrassValley web site to access the related downloads from the support section. (you will need the unit serial number to do that.)

FWIW: the User Manual pdf is a 2 MB download. The Picture Controller zip file (for Windows) is a 1 MB download.

Power off before making DIP switch changes.
The manual indicates the proper start-up/shut down sequence is:
All off->connect firewire cable->boot PC->turn ADVC on.
All on->turn off the ADVC -> turn off the PC->disconnect.
(I suspect that with some systems following a different sequence could result in a unknown system state.)
02-21-2024, 10:02 AM
Free Member

Check this thread
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...0-canopus.html

FWIW: I can connect to and capture from my ADVC300 using my NLE (Edius 9 WG, last version to support IEEE1394).

However, WinDV will not connect on my Win 10 machine. It can see it but will not let me select it for capture purposes.

Last edited by dpalomaki; 02-21-2024 at 10:32 AM.
02-22-2024, 09:40 AM
Free Member

I did see that thread, which prompted me to register with Grass Valley, which I have done but I've not heard anything back from them. Not in junk mail either.

I probably have adjusted the DIP switch whilst the device was powered on, maybe they shorted something out.

Oh well, probably cheaper to get another one than get it repaired.

Thanks for your help
02-22-2024, 08:48 PM
Free Member

FWIW: I ran a quick check and both VLC and VirtualDub 1.9.11 connect to the ADVC300 on my Win10 system. (I could even capture with VLC!)

Read through the ADVC300 User Manual and and give close attention to the TIPS int he margins as well.

My recollection is that some users have reported that third party wall wart power supplies may not fully power some ADVC devices even if the voltage rating appears to be correct. They cannot provide the needed current. The power supply that came with mine is rated for 5 vdc at 3 amps.

Tags
300, advc, canopus, faulty